PDA

View Full Version : Saw sharpening

Joel Goodman
03-24-2007, 7:30 PM
I have a LN dovetail saw that I would like to send out for sharpening. Do the more experienced folk here recommend going to LN or someone else? Thanks in advance - this is a great resource.

Joel

Ryan Cathey
03-24-2007, 7:31 PM
I think Mike Wenzloff will sharpen it for you. I've heard somewhere that his sharpening is better than LN's.

-Ryan C.

Charles McKinley
03-25-2007, 1:36 AM
Hi Joel,

I would strongly recommend doing it yourself. It should just need touched up unless you hit a nail with it or want the PPI changed. There are a couple of good tutorials here (Bob Smalser's) along with links to Vintage saws site & tutorial.

It really isn't very hard, even I can do it. :)

At most it will cost you $6 for the file, a couple of scraps to clamp in your vice or clamps to hold the saw and some time to read the article and 20 minutes actually doing it. I doubt it needs reset yet. If it doesn't work out you are out very little and you send it out anyway. When you get the hang of it and go "Hey this isn't hard at all!" You have a new skill that will make life much easier when a saw needs sharpened in the middle or to start a project.

If you really want to send it out Cooke's (sp?) Sharpening in York, PA also comes highly recommended.

Com'on tryyyyy it evvveryone is doing it. :D

Ryan Cathey
03-25-2007, 1:38 AM
Charles, I believe that's peer pressure and that's a baaad thing...I guess I'll let it slide this time though...but you've had your warning.

Charles McKinley
03-25-2007, 2:16 AM
Hey Ryan,

Once you start down the slippery slope you grab on to what ever you can and if they can't stop you, ya might as well drag them along for the ride!

C'Ya at the bottom! ;)

jonathan snyder
03-25-2007, 2:27 AM
If you really want to send it out Cooke's (sp?) Sharpening in York, PA also comes highly recommended.

Here is a link to Cookes http://www.cookessharpening.com/

Jonathan