PDA

View Full Version : Monster lathe#4 Oliver #18CC

Brian Weick
03-24-2007, 11:23 AM
:eek: Oliver #18CC, My new fellow woodworker friend called me about this lathe, he found my article and pictures about my Oliver 20C lathe on OWWM. He called me with some questions about stripping her down and redoing the drive assembly mostly.~ ie:VFD. When he sent me the pictures I was absolutely blown away. This lathe will turn an astonishing 48" in diameter and 8' long ,48" , I could not believe it- it looks a little strange with the risers on everything but what a lathe. He is currently going to be modernizing her with the VFD which will really throw many options into this lathe for one spectacular wood lathe. I called my friend that owns this lathe to get permission to submit these pictures before I posted them ~ as I always do. write to privacy issue and I respect that very much. Way to go JH
Regards,
Brian

Russ Cass
03-24-2007, 11:30 AM
:eek: WOW! I don't think that would fit in my basement shop :D

Bill Wyko
03-24-2007, 1:20 PM
HOLY COW!!!:eek: You could turn the Redwood forest on that monster. I just hope your tools are sharp cause you're gonna be there a while with the size that bad boy will turn. Nice pics too.:D

Jeff Towle
03-24-2007, 2:41 PM
You guys and these monsters are giving me "Lathe Envy" :rolleyes:
This is something I never thought I'd say to another guy but "Dang, your's is MUCH bigger then mine!" :o
Makes me want to go throw my Delta Midi in the trash heap!

Jim King
03-24-2007, 4:35 PM
When you get done turning candelabras on that mini come on down and turn a hot tub. This is on the way and will take 8 foot in dia bowls.

Brett Baldwin
03-24-2007, 4:50 PM
Holy frijoles! Two ridiculously huge lathes in one thread. Hell, even if I was given one of those I'd never be able to put the wood on it to work it to it's capability. I'm sure we'll be seeing Jim King's work when he get it and I hope to see some of the turnings from the 18 and 20.

Brian Weick
03-24-2007, 6:31 PM
When you get done turning candelabras on that mini come on down and turn a hot tub. This is on the way and will take 8 foot in dia bowls.

Hi Jim,
Did you get the #22 or #22AC lathe. Very nice machine . What shape is it in and what year was it manufactured? That's gong to take some time to set that machine up and running ~ but you have to ask yourself something ~ where can you find a lathe that can handle dimensions of 8' in diameter and up to 8' feet in length. They are very difficult to find, let alone finding one in very good operational condition. I am sure there is one sitting in someones barn rusting away beyond repair as I sit here and type.
I Hope to see some pictures from you when you get the #22. I was told by a fellow woodworker that it is imperative for the floor bed ways to be extremal level to get the center carriage and tail stock assembly to work correctly. Apparently,when you start to sculpt you're turning, the bit hitting the material between the centers can cause a vibration which will run through that floor bed way if it is not on a stable platform (being leveled) all the way through the floor bed way, and properly secured to the floor bed way otherwise you will get unfavorable results apparently.
I will say this Jim, You are the proud owner of a very fine piece of woodworking machinery, very nice Oliver lathe -very nice, and I really can appreciate what you have for a Pattern Lathe, but just one little side note, take the time to make sure that floor bed way system is on a level platform and everything is secured properly and you will be in awe of what that lathe will do for you Jim.
I congratulate you on your #22 Oliver Pattern Lathe :D
Happy turning, And I hope you will post some pictures,
You have a great weekend Jim
Regards,
Brian

Bill Wyko
03-24-2007, 6:36 PM
Just what do you use for turning tools on something that big? maby a shovel or a pick?:D

Brian Weick
03-24-2007, 6:43 PM
You have to see that in action- it is amazing and I little bit intimidating standing in front of it when its spinning a 4' diameter x 8' column., let alone working on it. Someone locally here had one and I had the opportunity to see it run and see how he sculpted his piece, quite impressive. I am looking forward to Jim King posting some pictures of it when it arrives.
happy turning,
Brian

Jim King
03-24-2007, 6:52 PM
Brian:

One person said that he saw one working and when he entered the room it was in he felt as if he was going to be pulled into it. I have been thinking about the floor but decided to wait until it arrives . It will be an experience. I will for sure post some photos. I wonder how long it would take to do a hot tub ? Or I can make the punch bowl you make the glasses. BIG party. We can rent a backhoe to fill the glasses.

I dont know the details on it . I bought it sight unseen but the lady says it worked when her husband died.

CPeter James
03-24-2007, 6:52 PM
Here is a chance to won a pretty good sized lathe. It is not mine. It is 3x12 FEET!!!!!

CPeter

http://www.unclehenrys.com/Classifieds/Search/ExhibitDetail.aspx?ExhibitID=-2136619405&ishistoricsearch=N&returnpage=%2fClassifieds%2fSearch%2fResults.aspx% 3fSearchID%3d17123561%26isHistoricSearch%3dN%23-2136619405

http://www.unclehenrys.com/Images/Uploads/AdAttachments/Picture/020070218063154.jpg

Brian Weick
03-24-2007, 7:17 PM
Cpeter,
That would need a lot of modifications to turn into a wood lathe- Nice size bed though along with the swing ~ The speeds are somewhat slow for a wood lathe and would definitely have to figure something out to get the RPM's on the spindle shaft up to par. but for $2500- would be a nice project; but have fun getting that into your basement~LOL
Regards,
Happy turning,
Brian

Joe Melton
03-25-2007, 4:57 PM
Jim King said: I dont know the details on it . I bought it sight unseen but the lady says it worked when her husband died.

I hope he didn't die by being catapulted through the roof!
Joe

Brodie Brickey
03-26-2007, 1:07 AM

Let's see...I'd like the hot tub done in curly maple and bloodwood with ebony accents.:p