PDA

View Full Version : Big Log!

Ron Sardo
03-24-2007, 11:11 AM
I get a call from a friend yesterday "Hey Ron, We're cutting one of the big logs today, Want to check it out?"

Like I'm going to pass this up!

It is 7'10" at the widest point! It had to be cut in half so it can fit into two containers on its trip from Africa. This section in the top half. Total length of the two logs is 36 FEET!!

http://www.simplyturning.com/logs/LogI.jpg
http://www.simplyturning.com/logs/LogII.jpg

This amazing quilted figure goes all the way though the log. I can't wait to see what it looks like with an oil finish.

http://www.simplyturning.com/logs/CloseUpI.jpg
http://www.simplyturning.com/logs/CloseUpII.jpg

If you are wondering, it's bubinga.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-24-2007, 11:13 AM
WOW! Stunning wood.....stunning size!

Jerry Clark
03-24-2007, 11:17 AM
That is beautiful-- would make a nice table--:rolleyes: - err-- sorry-- bowl! :D

Bob Opsitos
03-24-2007, 12:38 PM
Amazing log. I'd have a hard time deciding between cutting into bowl blanks, table slabs, or veneer.

Ron is that place in the picture local to you? My parents house is in Mountaintop, up the road from Drums, and I'm always looking for things to do when I visit.

Thanks
Bob

Bill Wyko
03-24-2007, 1:31 PM
WOW that's beautiful! Where is it going? and can I buy some of it. even some small pieces. I built a kitchen from Bubinga but it wasn't anything like that. Absolutely stunning.
P.S. I'm serious about acquiring a little of it if possible. Thanks.

Jim Becker
03-24-2007, 1:33 PM
Beautiful, Ron!!! What mill is that doing the cutting?

Jeff Towle
03-24-2007, 2:36 PM
Is that you in the pics? If so you're getting famous, I saw you on a Tx fishing web site this AM!! :)

Some big blanks & a Oneway coring tool could be a good thing!!

Chip Sutherland
03-24-2007, 4:23 PM
Duh, I have checkbook, credit cards and cash in hand. I just want a few of the cutoff pieces. To whom and to where do I sign up?

Something so obviously stunning is going to get snatched up by the flat-worlders but I'm sure it'll make killer table tops and panels.

Chip Sutherland
03-24-2007, 4:25 PM
Duh, I have checkbook, credit cards and cash in hand. I just want a few of the cutoff pieces. To whom and to where do I sign up?

Something so obviously stunning is going to get snatched up by the flat-worlders but I'm sure it'll make killer table tops and panels.

Brett Baldwin
03-24-2007, 4:54 PM
Well I guess I can stop wondering how big those trees are. I've seen slabs of bubinga several times and always wondered how big it had to start out. That grain is some of the wildest I've seen.

Tim Martin
03-24-2007, 5:41 PM
That is a beautiful, beautiful tree. Is that another Gilmerwood special?

David Epperson
03-24-2007, 6:38 PM
I'm wondering who's going to turn the first Bubinga bathtub bowl. Dang that's big...Nice wood.

Ron Sardo
03-24-2007, 7:21 PM
I thought you guys might like this:D:D

We squared off the log today and it finished off at 60" x 60" by 18 feet, That's 5400 bd ft.

My intention was only to show off some eye candy, not to drum up sales. Besides I don't own it so it's not my place to post a price.

If you are serious, email/PM me your phone number and I will pass it on to the owner so he can give you a call.

http://www.simplyturning.com/logs/cutting.jpg

Jim Becker
03-24-2007, 7:38 PM
Ron, you ARE allowed to post who is doing the cutting...

Ryan Cathey
03-24-2007, 7:38 PM
Where's Mike Wenzloff at?! That's about a million awesome saw handles!!

-Ryan C.

Ron Sardo
03-25-2007, 10:57 AM
http://www.simplyturning.com/logs/cutting.jpg

This machine is called a Domar. It’s a large chainsaw powered by a volkswagon bug engine. It is mounted on the ceiling and lowered down to the log, leveled and clamped on the log.

The cut is amazingly good, but the kerf is ½" thick. So 8 cuts blows away a table top to saw dust. Do the math and you will understand.

Although it’s hard to see, behind the log in the back ground is the bandsaw. This is one amazing piece of equipment. Half of it is below ground. The blades are 10" wide and 3/64" thick (actually it metric, but this is close). The teeth are 1.5" apart and can cut up to 60" wide.

The log is loaded on to a carriage, dogged down and feeds into the blade. This machine is so accurate that it can take 1/8" slices so perfect that the slice feels like the wood has been sanded to 100 grit. I have a 14" band saw with a 3tpi blade and takes me about 2 minutes to slice a 6" wide by 18" long piece of bubinga. This bandsaw will cut 60" wide by 18 feet board in about the same time.

When this log gets to the bandsaw, I’ll post some pictures.

Enjoy

Jonathon Spafford
03-25-2007, 4:41 PM
That is phenomonal wood... never seen bubinga quite like that!!!!! That is sad that all that wood is gone with the kerf of the saw... and even sadder that that wood isn't on my lathe ;) Awesome stuff !!!!!! Thanks for posting!

Don Orr
03-26-2007, 8:41 PM
Thanks for posting that Ron-amazing:eek: . And incredibly beautiful wood!

Bill Wyko
03-26-2007, 8:48 PM
Just curious, how old do you think a tree like that is? 1000 years or so maby?:rolleyes:

Mark Pruitt
03-26-2007, 9:32 PM
I just wish I could have been there to watch that one being sawn. Amazing.

Dick Strauss
03-27-2007, 1:44 AM
Ron,
I'd just love to get the leftover slabs from the square cuts for a few bowls. Let us know how we can get in on this beauty even if it is just lumber "scraps".

Thanks,
Dick

Ian Abraham
03-27-2007, 3:42 AM
Just curious, how old do you think a tree like that is? 1000 years or so maby?:rolleyes:

Being a tropical tree I bet you would be surprised. I'd wager it's under 100 years old. Those tropical rainforest trees grow FAST, then get taken out by termites etc. This part of the world that size tree might be 400-800 years if it was one of the good local species though.

Cheers

Ian

Jim Dunn
03-27-2007, 8:05 AM
The saw dust has got to be worth a fortune dosen't it??:) Thanks for posting such an interesting thread.

Jeff Towle
04-03-2007, 12:08 PM
Hey Ron, I see you found the pics at 2coolfishing.com. Glad you made it over there. I'm Brew on that board.

Most of us posting there are fairly new to woodturning though some have been at it for quite some time. Good bunch of folks there. Welcome.

If ya ever make it to TX you've already got a bunch of friends and anyone of them would probably be more then happy to have ya make curlies in their shop or slime up the deck of their boat.

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
04-03-2007, 3:32 PM
Holy Cow Ron that is awesome. Please keep us posted with more pic's. Thanks for posting and sharing.

George Van
04-03-2007, 3:53 PM
Thanks for the follow-up photos Ron, I will look forward to the next one!

Eric Wong
04-03-2007, 4:10 PM
Whoa..........

Pat Salter
04-03-2007, 10:37 PM
ok, you've shown us the piece of wood, can you show us the lathe that's going on???:rolleyes:
I'm glad I don't have to sweep up after that machine.

AWesome.

You have stills, did you get any video??