PDA

View Full Version : Lost in Space Robot, B9

Mitchell Andrus
03-24-2007, 10:32 AM
For the 50+ geeks:

http://www.lostinspacerobot.com/

If I had a spare $24,000.00....

Honest, I'm not amazed at the interest... there's a builder's club and an incredible history of the two (one 'hero', and 'stunt') B9s built. The 'original' was bastardized for a Sat morning TV show and ruined. The 'stunt' model was a mess to begin with, but purchased by Paul Allen (THAT Paul Allen) restored, and placed in a museum.

The repros at this site are fully licenced and EXACT copies, using the original molds. The designer of the B9 also designed Robbie, from Forbidden Planet.

I'll stop now.... gotta lie down....

John Schreiber
03-24-2007, 10:35 AM
Danger Will Robinson!

Al Willits
03-24-2007, 12:13 PM
24K Huh...neat, and it'd look nice in a corner of the shop, but I think I'll try for a drum sander instead, easier to explain to the shebeast...:)
Al

John Miliunas
03-25-2007, 12:11 AM
Uh, yeah...What Al said! :D :cool:

Tim Wagner
03-25-2007, 3:01 AM
you forgot to mention that Robbie the robot also made one or two apperances on the lost in space shows.

Mitchell Andrus
03-25-2007, 8:37 AM
"Robbie the robot also made one or two apperances on the lost in space shows."

Yea, and the real die hard fans can tell you the on-air dates and exactly how many minutes screen time....

Art Mulder
03-25-2007, 12:29 PM
... real die hard fans ...

I'm someone who thinks the $24,500 price is outrageous. But then, there are lots of things out there in the world that I think are priced wayyy beyond me. But there are obviously interested and willing to pay.

If you visit the website and check on the testimonials, they have a report from a satisfied customer, who is the owner of serial # 020.

So they've found 20 people, so far, willing to cough out the dough. That is almost a half million dollars net income there. Now, I'm sure that the licensing probably cost them a bit, and the guts of this thing no doubt cost a bit also. Still, I'd bet that they're making a reasonable profit.

And for that, I salute these people.

Rather than market a widget for $1.95 and try to sell it to millions of people, I think I'd also rather market a widget for $24,500 and sell it to hundreds.