PDA

View Full Version : AAARARGHH!!! Bad Motor Again!

Joe Pelonio
03-24-2007, 9:49 AM
I have never had as much laser work to do as I do right now, that's why I'm working at 5am on a Saturday. I got all of the artwork done for this first job and started it cutting. I am in the habit of watching the first run of the day for a few minutes. The first square cut two vertical lines on top of each other, the head did not move on the x axis. I opened the top and there was smoke coming from the bottom of the x motor.

This is the replacement motor from Epilog with the redesign/bearing on top.

I guess I'll be working on banners today and wait for Tech support on Monday!

Keith: for your records, this is an Epilog Legend 24TT

Larry Bratton
03-24-2007, 10:16 AM
Ouch! That's tough and on a weekend! Don't you just hate it when that happens? Throws you two days behind.

Joe Pelonio
03-24-2007, 10:44 AM
One of my jobs is wholesale for a guy that has a laser but is not comfortable with using it yet, so I may go over there and use his. Anyone have setting for cutting the following on a 100 watt Epilog? (He bought it used and has no manual)

1/32" Gravotac

1/8" Rowmark ADA Alternative

1/16" Rowmark ADA Alternative

All with 3m 467 adhesive on the back

Otherwise I'll just have to experiment.

Thanks

Jeff Chumbley
03-24-2007, 11:36 AM
Just a stretch Joe, but does he have the driver cd for his machine? There should be a pdf copy of his manual.

Jeff

Joe Pelonio
03-24-2007, 12:20 PM
I'll ask him, it looks like I'm going over there to do the job.

Frank Corker
03-24-2007, 7:13 PM
Sorry to hear about your problem Joe, hope they'll get it sorted on Monday, do you know why it may have gone again? Probably just one of those things, frustrating though

Joe Pelonio
03-24-2007, 9:49 PM
Different, I think. Last time the shaft bent and it started to slow down and jam. This time as soon as it was supposed to go it just started smoking.

I'll be using his 100 watt at 10am Sunday to do his job, then hopefully get ahold of Epilog on Monday early.

Dave Fifield
03-25-2007, 9:21 PM
Joe, are you sure the gantry is on the tracks properly in your 24TT? On my old 24TT, I had an overheating motor until I noticed that the gantry had "jumped the track" on one side and was dragging. It wasn't enough drag to stop it from working, but it made the poor motor suffer. The gantry runs on two hard plastic spring-loaded wheels on each side. I found the problem when I disengaged the X and Y axes and started pushing and pulling the gantry around by hand and looking at what was going on carefully. It wasn't an obvious-to-spot problem. Oh, wait, your problem is in the X axis, right? This was a Y axis problem.....

Joe Pelonio
03-26-2007, 8:21 AM
After turning it off I moved everything by hand and it's all good Dave.

I got the first job done on my customer's 100 watt Legend 32, and he offered to let me use it for some other jobs if I need it, but hopefully I'll get mine going tomorrow.

Phyllis Meyer
03-26-2007, 11:48 AM
Hi Joe,

We will be very interested to know the outcome...we replaced two motors also. We have been running fine, no complaints.

Have a great day,
Phyllis:)

Joe Pelonio
03-27-2007, 1:00 PM
There's UPS with my motor, wish me luck!

Joe Pelonio
03-27-2007, 1:57 PM
I have the new motor in, ran a test and it's A-OK so far, thanks again to Epilog Tech Support and their fast service!!

Frank Corker
03-27-2007, 5:59 PM
Great to hear that Joe, you must be a happy little teddy now, there in that tiny little workshop you have :p

Joe Pelonio
03-27-2007, 7:42 PM
Yeh, Frank, much happier now.

I've expanded to the garage, painting a 18"x6' sandblasted sign in there. The box part of it is dry so I have that in the living room temporarily.

Hey, I just heard the traffic report on the radio and laughed. Last week the dealer where I bought my new truck 12/30 called and wanted me to make an appointment for the first oil change, I told them it only had 2,100 miles on it. Nice to work at home! Oh, and gas is $2.93 here now. That may sound cheap to you, Frank, but it went up 20 cents in about a week. Glad I'm using a lot less.

Dave Fifield
03-27-2007, 8:11 PM
Around here it's $3.50 a gallon (Premium) :eek:! Anyway, glad to hear your laser is back up and running Joe. Back to work!

Bill Cunningham
03-27-2007, 8:22 PM
Gee your new motor came in a noon, and you had it in and running in 50 some odd minutes!! That was pretty quick..I guess practice 'does' make perfect.:D. I hope the one I just put in a couple of weeks ago lasts for a while yet!!