PDA

View Full Version : Foam cutting / engraving setting on ULS ??

Al Mutairi
03-24-2007, 1:52 AM
On my machine ULS V-460 using 2" lense & with table pumbed up to focus on the center of the material (thickness wise) , I have tried cutting 5/8" foam with these setting : 100% Power , Image Density 5 , 100 PPI & still I am getting charred sides on the cut pieces. I have seen samples of cut pieces of foam before & it looked clean on the side much simmilar to the top & bottom of the foam ?

What is it that I am doing wrong ?

Al

Mike Hood
03-24-2007, 9:23 AM
Not sure about your settings, but on my Pinnacle ZX, I run at 100% power, 400 or so PPI and speed settings that yield the minimum kerf. I cut a LOT of depron foam with mine and it works great.

Air assist is a necessity for cutting at those speeds and higher power settings or the cut gap will grow as you move over the material. Also... turning ramping off helps in tight corners.

Mike Mackenzie
03-24-2007, 12:12 PM
Al,

First and for most when cutting any foam you should use AIR ASSIST, This is really important to keep the edges clean and semi straight.

What speed are you using?

Try lowering the image density down to 3 but you really should be using air to get the best cut.

Al Mutairi
03-26-2007, 1:08 AM
[quote=Mike Mackenzie]Al,

What speed are you using?

Mike,

I am running the cutts at 100% speed , is this appropraite ?
I also wanted to try doing rastering on the foam but not sure what a good setting would be ? and whether such material yields good results when engraved ? BTW , I am using air assist.

Al