PDA

View Full Version : ? for G0514x owners using shop fox base

Bryan Mueller
03-24-2007, 1:29 AM
I'm having issues trying to get the shop fox heavy duty base to fit on the G0514x BS. The specs. say this base is supposed to have a maximum 29 1/2" inside range, which is exactly what the G0514 base measures. So far I have tried two different base units purchased from two different retailers and I can't get the dimensions much more than 29 1/4" without drilling metal. This is assuming that I am using two bolts at each junction, and it is measured at the corner brackets. That is also picking the extension arms that have the last holes furthest toward the edges as the accuracy of some holes is very suspect. I think at least a couple people have this combination and I haven't seen any problems reported, so can anyone comment on whether they had to do anything special to get this base to fit on the saw? Am I just getting really unlucky with some out of spec. bases, or am I doing something wrong?

Ryan Bess
03-24-2007, 9:13 AM
I unpacked my Grizzly 514x just a week ago. Grizzly assured me that the bandsaw would fit in the Shop Fox. WRONG! My experience was exactly the same. Not a molecule more than 29 1/4" in any direction. I was so anxious to get the bandsaw up and running that I simply took the base to a friend with welding gear. We removed all the bolts and welded the base to make it 30" x 18". It is EXTREMELY rigid after welding. Since I will only use that base for the bandsaw, I didn't think it was a big deal to "butcher" it. In the end, I'm happy - it is a decent base after a little work. However, I still plan to call Grizzly and tell them to stop selling this mobile base as a match to the 514x.
Ryan

glenn bradley
03-24-2007, 11:11 AM
Shiraz Balolia (President of Grizzly) is a contributing member here. You can email him directly from his profile. Judging by his participation here I believe he would be very interested to here of this and will take action to correct.

Ryan, thaks for the confirmation on the welding idea. I have an unrelated base that I was going to try that on.

Russ Massery
03-24-2007, 11:20 AM
I went with a universal mobile base for mine. problem solved.:rolleyes:

Bryan Mueller
03-24-2007, 12:36 PM
Thanks, Ryan. It's good to know I'm not the only one. I would still be interested in hearing from the others who were able to use the base successfully to see if this is a problem with just a recent batch of bases. I've got a replacement coming due to this problem and some rust and paint flaking off. I'll have to see what the new one looks like and then talk to Grizzly. I have a feeling some metalworking will be necessary for a quick resolution.

Dave Mapes
03-24-2007, 8:37 PM
I have mine installed in a shop fox mobile base with any problems. I did have to inset 1/4" steel plate between the bandsaw and the mobile for the bottom door to clear the bolts on top of the base.

richard poitras
03-24-2007, 8:47 PM
I was concerned about mine fitting in that base also because it max’s the base size with the same size base of the ban saw. So instead of taking the chance I just went with the next #size base up and it worked just great (I did need to put wood in base to raise the saw to make the door open)