PDA

View Full Version : Benchdog Prolift questions

Jeffrey Makiel
03-24-2007, 12:18 AM
Although there have been numerous posts about router lifts lately, I am not able to finds answers to the following questions regarding the Benchdog Prolifts...

1. Are the new offerings cast iron or aluminum? Benchdog's website says aluminum but Amazon says cast iron for the plate and support bracket.

2. When changing a router bit, do you have to unfasten the screws that hold the throat insert down...or can you just leave the screws out and let gravity hold the insert down?

3. There is a locking knob on the column of the lift mechanism to prevent movement. Does one have to reach under the table to loosen this knob everytime bit height is adjusted?

thanks...Jeff :)

Jim Tobias
03-24-2007, 1:04 AM
Jeffrey,
I bought mine a few years ago. I believe, at the time, they had two options - a lighter model and then the cast iron model. I went with the cast iron model back then with the PC7518 and have really liked the solid feel of the movement/adjustments and the lack of any vibration in use.
Their inserts are so heavy, you won't need to screw them down. I never have.
You do not have to reach under the table at all to change anyhting except speeds on your router. A speed wrench is all it takes to swap out bits in a minute.

Jim

Jim Becker
03-24-2007, 10:10 AM
I think the original ProLift utilized cast iron in the mounting area, but the current version is cast aluminum...and still very heavy. I was impressed with the cooling fins and the "stoutness" of the router mounting system. The current version also has a gleaming plated top...if I recall, way back when they first introduced it, it was bare iron/steel. I agree with Jim, with the insert rings adjusted correctly, the retaining screws should not be necessary except for certain operations as stated on the Bench Dog web site. And relative to bit changes, as I showed in a picture in my recent thread, the entire chuck is above the table for cutter changes...no need to remove the insert rings as long as your cutter fits through the hole.

Brian Hale
03-24-2007, 10:23 AM
As stated, the mouting "thing" is cast aluminum and you do need to reach under the table to loosen the locking knob. The top is nickel plated steel.

Here's a couple pics to give you an idea .....

Brian :)

Jeffrey Makiel
03-24-2007, 11:26 AM
Thanks!
-Jeff :)

Ralph Tyson
03-24-2007, 11:49 AM
Brian, that looks like a DeWalt router. Is it mounted in a Bench Dog table and, if so, which one? (I have a Dewalt 618 and I've been thinking about a Bench Dog table for it).

Brian Hale
03-24-2007, 12:21 PM
Ralph,

Yes, it's a Dewalt 618 mounted in a Bench Dog ProLift Max which is mounted in a Bench Dog ProTop cast iron router table top. This is the same top that can be used as an extension wing/router table for your table saw. I have it mounted to the Bench Dog Pro Woodworker router table cabinet.

Keep in mind that in order to mount the 618 in the ProLift (or any other router except the PC 7518) you'll need on of the adapters (~$20).

Brian :)

Ralph Tyson
03-24-2007, 1:05 PM
Thanks for

Ralph Tyson
03-24-2007, 1:07 PM
I was trying to say thanks for the help but my clumsy fingers posted the message before I was through typing.