PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid 6" ROS for $103

Scott Coffelt
12-20-2003, 3:25 PM
I know it isn't a Festool 150, but since it was about 1/4" the cost I think I am pretty happy. Now I get to buy paper at the WW show in February. This is the unit that looks to be made by Metabo (Germany). It was suppose to be $149 less 20%, but I saw a label on the rack for $129. I asked and they decided I could get it for that price and then the 20% discount. Even though I was real nice in my asking, the guy said he would put irrate customer as the reason code. Any who, $103 doesn't seem too bad for the ROS. I have to wait for xmas to get my Mini-Fein from the wife, so I can't wait to try out the combo.

Jamie Buxton
12-20-2003, 3:29 PM
After you've used it a little bit, be sure to post your opinions about it. There's lots of curiousity around here about the tools in this new line, but little real user information.

Lloyd Robins
12-20-2003, 10:39 PM
It sounds like you got an great buy! I looked at the unit in HD today when I went in to look because of the 20% of sale. It looked to be a solid unit made in Germany. I noticed the smaller units were from China. The item I was interested in was in a locked area, and I as usual couldn't find anyone to open it. After about 15 minutes I left. I am afraid that this is becoming the ususal experience at Home Depot. I don't think that every time I want something I should have to go to customer service and have someone paged. Just my thoughts on the matter.

David LaRue
12-21-2003, 9:30 AM
I got the same sander last week for $129. which I though t was great, since the Metabo is $200 and this one is regualarly $149. I saw the posts on the $20% off, you got an even better deal!

Dave

Pete Harbin
12-21-2003, 5:57 PM
Dave,

You should be able to take your receipt to HD and they'll credit you for the 20% discount. The Ridgid line has a 90 day, no questions asked, retrun policy.
I just took my receipts in today for purchases I made back in October, and the clerk jumped right on it. She rang up the returns and recharged me with the 20% discount. She even honored the extra 10% discount we received back in October when LOML signed up for her own HD card. Took me about 10 minutes to save about $160 on tools I've been enjoying for 2 months now!

I do have the 6" ROS, and I really like it. I used it to sand a window-frame style mirror (34" X 50") that I made for LOML's sister and brother-in-law, and it worked really well. Makes lots of dust, so I'll give it a whirl with the vac next time!

Pete

Kurt Loup
12-21-2003, 9:51 PM
I think the Rigid 6" (Metabo version) is a nice sander. Granted this may not be a fair comparison, but I have the Festool 5" sander and I think the Rigid 6" is a better buy for the price. I purchased the Rigid this afternoon and I had to haggle with HD to get them to give me 20% off of $129 though. The display with all the Rigid tools on the end of an aisle was still marked $129 despite the boxes and tools section shelf marked up to $149. They promptly removed the $129 sticker when I called them on it. Call me crazy, but if I had to keep only one of my sanders, I think I would choose the Rigid 6" over the Festool because I think it will be more versatile due to handling aggressive sanding better. I'm not sure how this compares against the larger Festool sanders. For one handed operations, the Festool 5" is lighter and easier handling though. Vibration is about the same. I didn't do any sanding with the Rigid this afternoon, but I did check to see if my Festool suction hose would match up with the Rigid collection port. I was happy to find out that the D27 hose will friction fit into the Rigid collection port without modification or an adaptor. Included with the Rigid sander is an adaptor to connect a shop vac hose. The dust collection hole pattern in the sandpaper matches my 6" Dewalt sander. This is good news as I already have a collection of 6" sandpaper.

Kurt

Mike Mastin
12-22-2003, 9:32 AM
I was sitting at the computer last evening after Home Depot had closed and was kicking myself for not buying the 6" sander during the weekend sale.
It was only 8:30PM so I thought that I would go out to the HD web site to see if the sale was available on-line. Sure enough it was and the sale price was still good so I oredered it with no shipping charges.
While I did not get the deal that some of you managed to get, I did get the 20% discount and did not have to fire up the old diesel truck to get out of the house :-)
Merry Christmas to myself :-)

Scott Coffelt
12-22-2003, 10:31 AM
I wondered on the sanding disks. I have a 5" PC, but wanted a bigger sander for larger jobs. They promply took the sticker off for me too. In my opinion, they should have not started with $129 qand then a month later raise the price $20. I know they were trying to get people to buy, but I almost didn't because the change in price. I am now happy with what I bought.