PDA

View Full Version : When you dont have enough clamps. Improvise

Bryan Somers
03-23-2007, 8:31 PM
Started making a planer stand for the shop based on plans from shopnotes vol 16 issue 91, but when it got to assembly time no I had no'where near enough clamps. With the recent jointer purchase, the 10% Woodcraft sale, and the local Rockler store closing sale my tool budget has been blown out of the water this year :eek: (I'm going broke saving money) and not enough extra cash for more clamps. Then I remembered a bowed 2x6 I almost threw on a brush pile a few weeks ago. After cutting to length, ripping, and some threaded rod it was perfect for the job.

60988 60989 60990

The stand will be mobile and have flip up sides for in and out feed tables. I'll be using a laminated rolled edge bar top that was being thrown away at work for these making the in and out feed twice as long as the stock ones are. I love it when they throw away good stuff at work and they seam to be very profecient at it too. The face will trimmed in maple and I'll try the Miller dowells to see how they work out.

Ken Milhinch
03-23-2007, 9:01 PM
Well done Bryan, that's ingenuity at work. Of course, even when you have enough clamps, you will not have enough clamps.:D

Jim Becker
03-23-2007, 9:06 PM
Nice solution!!!

glenn bradley
03-23-2007, 9:38 PM
Good thinking. The LOML used to think I had all the clamps I could ever need until she stopped by one day during a large carcas glue up. She understands completely now when I look at the clamps where ever we go.

Tim Devlin
03-24-2007, 8:22 PM
Interesting tha you didn't have enough clamps, but had that much extra threaded rod :rolleyes: :confused: :D

Tim

Boyd Gathwright
03-24-2007, 11:29 PM
.... I like your improvising, something I might do :p.

Started making a planer stand for the shop based on plans from shopnotes vol 16 issue 91, but when it got to assembly time no I had no'where near enough clamps. With the recent jointer purchase, the 10% Woodcraft sale, and the local Rockler store closing sale my tool budget has been blown out of the water this year :eek: (I'm going broke saving money) and not enough extra cash for more clamps. Then I remembered a bowed 2x6 I almost threw on a brush pile a few weeks ago. After cutting to length, ripping, and some threaded rod it was perfect for the job.

60988 60989 60990

The stand will be mobile and have flip up sides for in and out feed tables. I'll be using a laminated rolled edge bar top that was being thrown away at work for these making the in and out feed twice as long as the stock ones are. I love it when they throw away good stuff at work and they seam to be very profecient at it too. The face will trimmed in maple and I'll try the Miller dowells to see how they work out.

Tim Wagner
03-25-2007, 3:06 AM
nice job. I have seen them used on a WW show. they are called a cawl, if thats how it's spelled, and normaly the side facing your box would have a radias to them. neat huh?

Kelly C. Hanna
03-25-2007, 6:57 AM
Now that's what I call thinkin' on your feet! Good idea....you should send that one in to the mags.