PDA

View Full Version : New jointer report

Joe Chritz
03-23-2007, 8:31 PM
Picked up my new 8" Grizzly jointer from the terminal this AM. Pick up went smooth. I was in and out in 10 minutes. My only complaint is the Byrd head is on backorder, possibly for a month. Nothing to be done about that, I should have ordered earlier.

Off loaded dad's truck with a cherry picker engine hoist. Turned the box sideways, uncrated and picked up the head and set it on the assembled base. I already had it on a mobile base ready to go. Had a court subpeona so it had to wait for a few hours to finish hooking it up.

An hour or so later I have it wired with all the parts on ready for a test fire. After checking that everything was tight and there wasn't an obstruction I fired it up and it ran fine. A few tweeks and it is in operational shape.

The knives were set to about .0005 of the outfeed table and were within .001 across the full 8" width. Maybe I could improve that but not without much foul language. I don't have a precision straight edge here so I couldn't check the tables for coplanar but with a level and an 18" straight edge they appear to be right on. I'll check with a 36" starrett soon.

First test is some 1/4 sawn red oak for a library I am building. 1/16" off the face of a 7 3/4" board was smooth as silk. Nice cut with almost no force needed to push it through. Runs smooth and quiet. Has me wondering if I should cancel the shelix head and stick with the straight knives?

Compared to my Ridgid 6" this thing looks like a brontosaurs sitting there. Overall I am very happy with the overall unit and believe it will be a great addition. Mandatory picture included and no it isn't in the final location as I have some DC pipes to rerun.

Joe

Sammy Shuford
03-23-2007, 8:34 PM
I hope you enjoy this half as much as I do my G0500. Yours has the power switch up top, that's nice!

Bryan Somers
03-23-2007, 8:37 PM
Great score and a really good write up. Hope the Byrd head comes in soon.

Ted Miller
03-23-2007, 8:38 PM
Nice Joe, looks like its gonna have a happy home...

Don Bullock
03-23-2007, 9:12 PM
Congratulations and thanks for the review. A jointer is a tool that I still need and input likr yours is helpful.