PDA

View Full Version : help! computer software forums?

chris fox
03-23-2007, 7:03 PM
Anyone here suggest a computer software forum? My home computer system with windows 2000 crashed. So less time on SMC! I need some tech assistance on repair download files etc.

thanks
Chris

David G Baker
03-23-2007, 7:08 PM
Anyone here suggest a computer software forum? My home computer system with windows 2000 crashed. So less time on SMC! I need some tech assistance on repair download files etc.

thanks
Chris
Chris,
Is Microsoft Internet Explorer on your crashed computer? There are a few of us out here that have had our computers crash approximately one month after downloading and installing the latest version of Internet Explorer.
David B

chris fox
03-23-2007, 7:18 PM
No, I am having problems with startup, when starting up I get missing or corrupt file '\winnt\system32\config\system'
...so it goes on saying to repair, use original setup disk(which i dont have) so I need to find a downloadable file that I can use for repair.

thanks

Chris

David G Baker
03-23-2007, 7:29 PM
Chris,
I have found CNET to be a good source for information when having computer problems. CNET may even have a source for the file you need. I haven't had too many problems lately so I am not as good at fixing them as I was with older versions of Windows that crashed all the time.
Good luck, let us know what you end up having to do. When you find the fix, start a note book and write down what you had to do to get it working again so next time you will be prepared.
David B

RickT Harding
03-23-2007, 10:14 PM
The best two forums I visit for computer related issues are:

hardforum
Ars

There are some people in there that really know their stuff. Just check out the Windows forums on each.

Boyd Gathwright
03-24-2007, 12:32 AM
.... Have you run SCANDISK and DEFRAG on your drives? If you have, run NORTON from the CD. Baring any major CALAMITIES that should put you back in reasonable shape :).

No, I am having problems with startup, when starting up I get missing or corrupt file '\winnt\system32\config\system'
...so it goes on saying to repair, use original setup disk(which i dont have) so I need to find a downloadable file that I can use for repair.

thanks

Chris

chris fox
03-24-2007, 1:33 AM
Boyd, as a matter of fact I was doing system scannig for bad files etc. Defrag,etc. also been running Spybot and Adware periodically. Internet issues have been kicking me out. As far as running Norton, is it possible to run this in the start up DOS mode?

Rick, I will check out these other sites. I visit CNet all the time didnt think they had forums etc for computer software issues.

thanks....

Boyd Gathwright
03-24-2007, 1:15 PM
.... I had issues with ADWARE years ago and hence discontinued using it. Spybot I have found to be ok and still use it on some of my systems. Before running SPYBOT, I always make sure all definitions are up-to-date. While running WINDOWS, insert the NORTON CD, in the selection you will see the title "Launch Utilities from CD" then chose NORTON WIN DOCTOR and run it. You will receive a warning about unrecoverable etc. and I pick OK. Then pick Auto FIX (fix all etc.) next, and you should be done. I would NOT install NORTON, just run it from the CD. I have found this approach cures a high percentage of MOST problems.

Good luck

PS: is your system up-to-date with Microsoft :confused:?

Boyd, as a matter of fact I was doing system scannig for bad files etc. Defrag,etc. also been running Spybot and Adware periodically. Internet issues have been kicking me out. As far as running Norton, is it possible to run this in the start up DOS mode?

Rick, I will check out these other sites. I visit CNet all the time didnt think they had forums etc for computer software issues.

thanks....

Chuck Wintle
03-24-2007, 3:22 PM

thanks
Chris another good forum i visit a lot is....forum.pcmech.com