PDA

View Full Version : New Member - Bio (long)

Randy Miller
02-28-2003, 10:49 AM
Long time lurker over at the pond, always regretted not posting my bio and contributing more. So, hoping the water's warm, I'm going to jump in the creek....</p>

Short, non-woodworking, bio:</p>

Born and raised in Woburn, MA. When graduating from high school decided that I wanted to get the heck out of the east so I went to Northwestern University out in Illinois. Ended up living in the Chicago area for the next 17 years. Worked as a programmer with a large bank (was called First Chicago, then NBD, now BankOne.) Met my future SWMBO there. After our third child, my wife decided that we should be closer to family so we moved back to Massachusetts and now live in Lexington. Out here I work for another large bank and run a development group for the investment management arm.</p>

Ok, now the woodworking part:</p>
Always been interested in DIY type projects and have messed around with a fair number of tools. When we moved back to MA, my youngest son needed a new bed so we went looking and had serious sticker shock. I casually said to my wife, "You know, when I was in college I had a loft bed and loved it... I could make one for David and we'll give David's bed to Sam" Now, when I said that I was thinking of the kind of loft bed I had in my college days (you know unpainted/unstained pine 2x material, bolted into the walls for stability, some splinters, but who cares.) My wife thought a loft bed was a great idea - her idea was something that was painted, no splinters, rounded edges, and by all means free standing. So started my transition from carpenter to woodworker. Now for something that was built entirely with a router and a skill saw (and lots of hand sanding) it wasn't entirely bad.<br>
Then about 2 years ago I decided to get serious about woodworking, but unsure of what I would need, or of my own commitment I signed up for a woodworking class at the local vocational school. After a few weeks I knew 3 important things:<br>
1. Whatever operation needs to be done to wood there are many ways to do it (try and pick the safest.)<br>
2. I really love woodworking.<br>
3. I really hate waiting for someone else to finish with a machine so that I could then recalibrate it and make my one cut.<br>

So, I started buying some equipment and cruising the message boards. I came upon the Pond when some people were ranting about Wayne in another message board. I didn't really care for that board, so I went over to the pond to see what all the fuss was about. I found a group of folks that all used their real names, all seemed to be having fun talking woodworking (and community), and seemed to be very open to newbies like myself. So, I hung around, lurked, and learned.<br>
With newfound wisdom at my fingertips I started to work on progressively more difficult projects. I really enjoy trying a new technique and seeing if I can get it to work. I've done a couple of pieces I'm pretty happy with, but know I still have a lot to learn. <br>
In December of 2001 I made the mistake of buying the Jet wood lathe 1236, leading me down the death spiral of turning addiction. I started seeing everything different. Every tree would now be evaluated for it's capacity to feed the lathe. My flat stock would be thought of as potential for segmented bowls or scrap blocks for turning. Nothing was (or is) as satisfying as rough turning a block of maple and getting sprayed soaking wet as curls of wood flew in all directions. Projects that were promised languished. Finally, my daughter shamed me into finishing her blanket chest and I realized that I need to enjoy all of the aspects of woodworking.<br>

Last December I decided I needed to improve my space a bit. My shop was a 12' x 12' corner of the basement that was getting too crammed full of scraps and tools. After a well thought out appeal to my wife ( I begged! ) she agreed that the pool table that we never used could be removed and I could have that space. Yeah!<br>
So, since about 30 seconds after she said that, I've been working on rebuilding my shop. The pool table is disassembled and stored away, I put in new dividing walls, installed rough electrical for outlets and surface mounted lighting, and this week the drywall/mud was applied (didn't do this myself.) The final coat of paint goes on today. Tomorrow I begin some of the finish electrical and hopefully within a week or two I'll have the shop back up and running. When I do I'll post a shop tour and gloat!<br>
Since the renovation of the shop has been underway, my "woodworking" has been limited to carpentry and cruising the Pond and WoodCentral. When Wayne decided to close down the forum I was trully bummed! Though I wasn't a frequent poster on the Pond, I always enjoyed the community. I think that Keith has done a great job here trying to keep the community feel and look forward to a more active participation here on the creek.<br>
Warm regards,<br>
Randy

Ken Salisbury
02-28-2003, 10:55 AM
<p align="center">Welcome Aboard Randy !!!

Chuck Waller
02-28-2003, 11:37 AM
Welcome, Randy!

I too was a long-time, several-times-a-day lurker at The Pond and share your regrets. Though I contributed when I could, I never quite got around to a bio and "getting both feet wet".

I hope to remedy that here at The Creek and am grateful to Keith and company for their tremendous work here.

Chuck

Bob Lasley
02-28-2003, 11:38 AM
Pull up a log and sit a spell. Glad you're here!

Bob

Ted Shrader
02-28-2003, 11:46 AM
Randy -

Welcome to the Mill. Glad you were able to break your turning addiction long enought to post. c;)

Nice to "e" meet you.

Ted

Ron McNeil
02-28-2003, 11:58 AM
Welcome to Sawmill Creek Randy this place will grow on you quickly. You might have been just a lurker on the Pond alot of people were but this creek is just to refreshing to stay on the outer banks. Come on in.

Glenn Clabo
02-28-2003, 12:17 PM
Welcome to the Creek...
And welcome back to New England.

Glenn...born and raised in North Reading, MA.

Jim Fuller
02-28-2003, 12:33 PM
It's funny how those thought out appeals work isn't it!:D

Von Bickley
02-28-2003, 2:28 PM
Randy,

Glad to see you at SMC. I know you'll enjoy hanging out around here.:rolleyes:

Todd Burch
02-28-2003, 5:57 PM
Jump on in - the water's fine!

Todd.

John Miliunas
02-28-2003, 7:28 PM
As already indicated by the other guys, welcome! Pull up a log, jump in or just watch the water flow. This site is growing and going places and we're glad you could be a part of that growth!:cool:

Bob Reilly
02-28-2003, 7:49 PM
Hey John,which way from Spring Green are you,that is from Rt.14

John Miliunas
02-28-2003, 8:12 PM
We're almost exactly in the middle between Spring Green and Arena. That would put us East of SG. Our house is @ 1/3 mile off of Hwy. 14. You can actually see it from the hiway, but it's still far enough away to deaden the traffic noise. We like it here, but looking to move even further West (NW really) about 16 miles. A bit smaller house, smaller taxes, smaller mortgage. And, oh yeah...a way, WAY bigger shop!:D

Dave Anderson NH
03-01-2003, 8:18 AM
and lived in Stoneham until I was 2. I've also lived in Somerville, Cambridge, Arlington, and Medford. 14 Years ago Sue and I moved to NH from Haverhill. I suspect that your path is very similar to the one many of us have taken through the various steps and levels of woodworking.

Tom Sweeney
03-01-2003, 10:39 AM
Nice Bio! I think it's interesting that the fresh water here at sawmillcreek seems to have pulled a lot of Ponders out of lurker status. Nothing at all against BP - I loved it there. But it's refreshing to get a new start.

John M. Cioffi
03-01-2003, 11:57 AM
:) Hi Randy,

Glad you joined in.My reasons also reflect yours...Being a long time looker/learner.

I'ts exciting to know of more people from my area. I was born & raised in Everett & STILL can't get out!!!
My church is in North Reading & I work in Boston.

Did I hear someone say,"Go west,young man..."

Randy,
Could you import some pics of your projects... I'd love to see what you've accomplished.
I refer to myself as...The Rookie!

Randy Miller
03-02-2003, 10:24 AM
Glad to see there are so many people from this area on the creek. I haven't posted any pictures yet, I'll have to read up on how to do that... I've got a small photo site that I maintain for family and friends. If you look at my profile there is a link to the site under home page.
BTW. Are we allowed to put links directly in messages? I'll have to read the user guide ;-)
-Randy