PDA

View Full Version : Shed floor question

Kent Fitzgerald
03-23-2007, 6:17 PM
Hello, folks

Spring is in the air and I'm fresh from a Habitat for Humanity build, which means I've got the urge to start a construction project. A full-scale fort or a yacht is right out, but we could really use a backyard shed to relieve the garage clutter (I've heard that some people actually park cars in their garages - what a concept).

My plan is for an 8x12' shed supported by concrete blocks on grade. Construction will be fairly standard framing:
2x6 PT joists 16" oc, 3/4" exterior plywood floor
2x4 wall framing 16" oc, 3/8" Smartside sheathing/siding
2x4 site-built roof trusses 24" oc, 1/2" ply roof sheathing, asphalt shingles

So far, so good? I think I might be verging on overkill, at least compared to the prefab sheds at Home Depot (one of which had a top plate made from 2x3s end-spliced together with staples), but that's OK.

My question, and I do have one, concerns the floor. As I understand, conventional practice is to lay subfloor sheets perpendicular to the floor joists. However, in an 8x12' shed, laying the sheets parallel to the joists would mean fewer cuts, (no cuts, actually), fewer seams, and all seams fall over joists. Am I missing any reason not to do this?

Yeah, I know, it probably makes no big difference in the end, but I like to try to understand these things.

Thanks for any of your ideas,
Kent

Joe Chritz
03-23-2007, 7:16 PM
It has to do with the way the structure of the sheet goods. OSB has a strength axis that you want to keep perp to the joist.

For a shed I doubt it would make a difference, but for how long it takes to make the cuts I would still do it lengthwise.

You can save a few bucks by using 1/2 OSB for the roof. I don't remember the last roof I worked on that used plywood.

Joe

Kent Fitzgerald
03-25-2007, 6:16 PM
Thanks for the reply, Joe. It all makes sense now.

But wait... I have more questions :D (for Joe or anyone).

If I use OSB for the roof sheathing, can it also be used to gusset the roof trusses?

Does roof truss spacing need to match wall stud spacing? A few things I've read make a point about the trusses resting directly over studs. If so, should I make the trusses 16" oc (my inclination) or the walls 24" oc?

Kent

Joe Chritz
03-25-2007, 7:54 PM
Yes it will make good gussets for site built trusses. Sandwhich it over the joint and power nail from both sides with 8's.

If you have a double top plate you really don't need to line up the trusses. It is faster and cheaper to double to top plate and put trusses on 24"O.C. Although you could build the walls at 24" also.

I don't always check this section so if you have any other questions and I don't answer right away drop me a PM.

Joe