PDA

View Full Version : PC 7518 in woodpecker lift?

Ben Grunow
03-23-2007, 5:59 PM
Any one have any experience with this combo. I am going to buy the bench dog table and wanted the BD lift but the local woodworkers club is out of stock and I might be too impatient to wait (I was going to buy from amazon but the club is near and stuff is mostly in stock and tomorrow is sat). I would prefer the BD lift with the cast iron plate but the woodpecker lift also gets great reviews.

Please help me feel good about making an impulse decision or make me wait for the bench dog lift. That thing looks stout in Jim Beckers table and that what I really liked about it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. (pics to follow of course)

Ben

Jim Becker
03-23-2007, 6:06 PM
Be sure the lift you buy will actually fit in the table you want to use...they are often not sized identically... ;) ...on purpose.

Jim Tobias
03-23-2007, 6:16 PM
Ben,
I wish I could help, but I would only cast doubts about not waiting for the BD lift and PC 7518. That combo is heavier than my first car (VW beetle 35 years ago). Smooth, no vibration, easy to adjust.

Jim

glenn bradley
03-23-2007, 6:51 PM
The BD lift is smaller dimensionally but Woodpecker makes at least some of their lifts to fit that opening. The QL for sure, don't know about the others. I was hoping for a BD lift as it would fit my table with little modification but NO MIL 5625 supported ;-( Looks like a QL or PRL for me.

Kevin Smith
03-23-2007, 7:49 PM
Ben,

I purchased the Woodpecker PRL for my PC7518 just a couple of weeks ago and am very pleased with my decision. There are a number of Creekers out there with this combination.

However, if you have your heart set on the BD, I'd suggest that you wait. You might end up living with your decision for a number of years.:D

Alex Hamman
03-23-2007, 7:55 PM
I just purchase the Woodpecker QL and the PC7518. I still have not completed my router table to the last detail. But the pair is going to make a slick set up.;) I really like the QL when it comes to changing bits.

Ralph Okonieski
03-23-2007, 9:15 PM
I've had the Woodpecker PRL and PC7518 combo for over a year and am completely satisfied. A lot of research went into my decision for the purchase. I am still convinved it was the right combination for me.

Dick Bringhurst
03-23-2007, 9:24 PM
I've had the PRL/PC7518 in my table now for four years. No problems. It has had a lot of use. Dick B.

John Young
03-23-2007, 9:32 PM
About 5 or 6 years ago I purchased my current router table set-up. It consists of a Woodpecker PRL, PC7518, Woodpecker Router Table Top (24"x36"), Benchdog Cabinet (old style), and Benchdog 32" ProFence. I went with the Woodpecker table top because the Benchdog cutout was not sized for the PRL. Keep this in mind if you mix match manufacturers.

Steve Sharp
03-23-2007, 9:48 PM
I been using the 7518 & the QL for a couple of months now and love them. One thing to check though...when I 1st setup the lift & router I noticed the router collet was not centered precicely w/the lift opening (about 3/16's off center). Talked to Woodpeck and was advised to send in for adjustment....lift was returned w/same problem. Sent in 2nd time (this time with the router) and they called to say I'd been sent the wrong lift. Received new lift and router and all is well now.

Jim Becker
03-23-2007, 9:54 PM
I want to clarify my previous post by saying that the PRL and other Woodpecker lifts are well-made and well-liked products. What I was pointing out, however, is that each of these companies makes their lifts to fit in their tables and there often is no interchangeability. The reason I brought that up is the reference in the OP's post to the Bench Dog table being his choice. The dimensions, thickness and corner radius of a lift going in the table needs to match the pre-existing cutout. Personally, I'll say that the wait for the Bench Dog lift is worth it. I had to wait about three weeks for mine and am not sorry in the least. Outstanding product and different than all the others due to the cast iron construction.

Bill Fleming
03-23-2007, 9:57 PM
The 7518 and Woodpecker lift is a great combination! Have used mine for 3 years with great results.

Ben Grunow
03-24-2007, 8:48 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I went to the Woodworkers Club today and melted my credit card. I went with the Bench Dog table/cabinet (laminate, not cast iron), fence, lift, switch and the PC 7518. I will have to wait for the lift to come in but I feeling the woodpecker just left me thinking of something heavier. Plus those fine threads for height adjustment looked like a lot of work. Set it up with the fixed base for a test and what a pleasure it is. The router alone must weigh 20 lbs.

Also got 4 30" woodcraft bessie clones, veritas honing guide and a couiple other essentials. I think I need a second job.

Thanks again,

Ben

Jim Becker
03-24-2007, 9:05 PM
Congrats, Ben. You'll enjoy the lift and in the mean time, you can still play with the router the way you have it set up.

Jim Tobias
03-24-2007, 9:43 PM
Conrats Ben!! Sorry about the credit card meltdown, but you are going to love that combo that you bought. It will/can be the last one you ever have to buy.

Jim