PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Service(Blades&Router Bits)

Carroll Courtney
03-23-2007, 5:08 PM
Guys,where I live there is no sharpening service local,except the hardware store.(Use them once and they broke my PC router bit)Other places are on the other side of town.Do you use any mail order service to sharpen these,who would ya'll suggest to use.I know this is not earth shakeing,but it would take me an hour to and hr.back.That's just to drop them off,then have to be pick up.4 trips to have a couple of bits sharpen.Cost of gas going up,may be cheaper to buy new one's.:rolleyes:

Jim Becker
03-23-2007, 6:09 PM
Scotts Sharpening Service in Phoenix would be an excellent choice for your blades given you're in TX. (I don't know if Scott does router bits, however, and only can only do limited sharpening on them without altering the profile in some cases)

Mike Thomas
03-23-2007, 8:03 PM
Have you thought of purchasing the equipment and doing it yourself? Planer and jointer knives and chisels have a pretty easy learning curve. I got tired of paying $0.50 per inch for sharpening at my local shop and found the equipment used for the cost of 4 sharpenings on my 24" planer. I don't know about router bits, that may be a different question. There have been other threads here on the subject.

Jim Becker
03-23-2007, 9:26 PM
Mike, sharpening carbide requires much more specialized equipment than HHS. Unless one is going into the business...the money would be better served going into tools and tooling to cut wood!

Dennis Peacock
03-24-2007, 12:45 AM
Carroll,

Give Scott Whiting a call in Glendale, AZ. He runs probably one of the best sharpening services I've ever experienced. He's an Ex-Badger Pond guy and used to be on SMC a long time back. Best of all? He's honest and upfront in every single transaction. :D

Scott's Sharpening Service
5214 W Luke Ave. Ste 7
Glendale, AZ 85301
623-931-0633
1-800-594-7262

And no....I'm not affiliated in any way....just a happy customer.

Scott Whiting
03-24-2007, 12:41 PM
"and used to be on SMC a long time back"

You just never know where I will pop up. :)

Mike - You should consider yourself lucky if your sharpener is still at .50 inch for planer and jointer knives. The cost of modern water cooled equipment has an entry level now of about $7,500. ;)

Carroll - Yes I can do router bits. Keep in mind that for just one or two the shipping may be more than the sharpening cost. But so is 4 hours of time and gas. As Jim alluded to even though the bit is sharpened of he face it loses diameter every time it is sharpened because of the relief. Most profiles it makes no big difference. Stile and rail sets are shim adjustable for this reason. If you have an application that it critical like a dado or template routing where the .005-.010" would make a difference then bite the bullet and replace it.