PDA

View Full Version : Donor Tree Suggestions

Paul Proffitt
03-23-2007, 4:46 PM
A potential client is looking for a donor tree with the tree and leaves made from wood. It will be mounted on an 8' tall by 10' long wall that has some sort of cherry wood on it. The 'leaves' would be laser engraved with the donor information. They've looked at the metal and acrylic versions from places like Zax and Wausau, but they would prefer something handmade and from wood. I would appreciate any experience or suggestions on designs or logistics.

Thanks,
Paul Proffitt
Suwanee, GA - Epilog Legend 24TT, 45 Watt, Corel 12, Illustrator CS, Photoshop CS, etc.

Mike Null
03-23-2007, 7:04 PM
Eighth inch cherry or maple would work well. Here's a leaf design I used for a similar project though I used gold plastic.

Paul Proffitt
04-22-2007, 12:15 PM
Earlier in this thread I asked for suggestions on a donor tree for a client. I got some answers here and some privately. I really enjoy the information and knowledge sharing here. And, in that vein, here is a link to my completed design. The Tree of Life Donor Tree is made from poplar (canopy), walnut (branches and trunk), oak (leaf stems) and maple and river birch (leaves). The finished tree is 42" tall and 52" wide and will accommodate approximately 100 leaves. The trunk and branches were bandsawn then hand carved and sanded. The canopy uses a matrix of repeating shapes laser cut from thin poplar that were then glued to a solid poplar backing. The entire piece weighs about 20 pounds. It was delivered and installed on Friday 4/20/07 at the John C. Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, NC for the dedication of the new Willard Baxter Woodturning Studio that was held on the following Saturday 4/21/07. It was an exciting and challenging project with only three weeks from decision to installation. I'm happy to have it finished and installed and happy to say that all those who saw it in person seemed to appreciate it.

If anyone has any questions I'll try to answer them. I'm hoping to be get more opportunities to make something similar now that I "have a plan". I'll have more pictures of the tree in place, but for now here is a link to the pictures I have already posted: http://www.whisperedimages.com/content/view/39/2/

Paul Proffitt
Suwanee, GA - Epilog Legend 24TT 45 Watt, Corel 12, Illustrator CS, etc.

Nancy Laird
04-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Paul, the donor tree is just lovely, and a nice way not only to show off your skills, but to honor those who have contributed. Great job!!

Nancy

Mike Null
04-22-2007, 12:53 PM
Paul:

I had considered posting a picture of a tree I handpainted on oak plywood then attached the engraved donor leaves. After seeing yours I'm inclined to burn my picture.

That is remarkable. Would you consider letting us in on an approximate price for your work of art?

Paul Proffitt
04-22-2007, 1:34 PM
Mike, I'm recalculating my costs based on this first example. Future works such as this will have to start in excess of $3,000.00. Based on the pricing for commercial works I've found online, that may be way too low. I would certainly appreciate other opinions. Effective and adequate market pricing is always a moving target especially considering that contemporaneous, comparative intelligence is so subjective.

Mike Null
04-22-2007, 3:24 PM
Thanks for posting that info. I can't be of much help other than to say that I view this as a piece of art that would carry much more value than a production item.

If I had done this it would be the centerpiece of my web portfolio.

Gary Hair
04-22-2007, 8:13 PM
Thanks for posting that info. I can't be of much help other than to say that I view this as a piece of art that would carry much more value than a production item.

If I had done this it would be the centerpiece of my web portfolio.

I agree completely!!!

3x materials plus $120/hour wouldn't do that work of art justice.

Very nice work.

Gary

Ralph Y Thorne
04-22-2007, 9:50 PM
Your Tree of Life is a great example of "thinking outside the box". Nice job Paul!