PDA

View Full Version : Drawing a fillet?

Scott Shepherd
03-23-2007, 3:06 PM
I must say that one of the most challenging things I'm having to learn is to learn how to draw objects in graphics programs as opposed to CADD. I learned how to draw on CADD, and have drawn things in CADD/CAM programs for 20 years or so.

I'm all good with drawing and trimming and creating construction items for ease of drawing.

However, graphics programs don't seem to work like that. It's a hard habit for me to break and learn to draw in a different way.

Right now, I could use a little help on the simplest thing. I've been working around it my own way and getting the job done, but I've hit a "there's GOT to be a simple way to do this" moment right now.

Okay, just want to put a fillet where two objects meet like below. Seems simple enough. Using Corel V12. Searching "fillet" in Corel brings up nothing. So, at the intersection of these two rectangles, I'd like them to have fillets instead of square corners.

What's the easy method for doing this, and is there a "fillet" button in X3 :D

Okay, I can't get my image to display for some reason, so imagine two rectangle like a "t" and you want to put fillets where the rectangles intersect.

Scott Shepherd
03-23-2007, 3:27 PM
Let's try this again :

I want the two objects to be one (I will weld), and then have fillets where they intersect.

Putting the corel file might work better than the image I couldn't get to work!

Gary Hair
03-23-2007, 3:42 PM
Scott,
I have a similar background, I used to teach AutoCAD and find Corel difficult to do some of the things I think should be really easy.

I did a search in Corel's help and found that there is a fillet command but it is grouped with other, similar, commands.
Search for "Filleting, scalloping, and chamfering corners" and you will find what you need.

Gary

Scott Shepherd
03-23-2007, 3:49 PM
Thanks Gary, but a search for all of those terms brings me nothing at all. Not fillet, filleting, scalloping, or chamfer.

Looks like a BC Powder day for me!

Maybe the problem is larger than I know, as I can't even find things in the help section now! It's Friday, maybe I'll go home and call it a day :)

Gary Hair
03-23-2007, 3:52 PM
What version of Corel are you using? I just typed in "filleting" into the "Type in the word(s) to search for:" box and the very first topic it returns is "Filleting, scalloping, and chamfering"

If you are using X3, go to help and click on the "Search" tab. Type in "filleting" and then click on "list topics" - if you don't get anything then something is very wrong with your help file and you may have to reinstall the help files.

Gary

Mike Mackenzie
03-23-2007, 4:05 PM
If it is X3 the fillet is under WINDOWS / DOCKERS you will see a fly out menu called fillet / chamfer / scallop

Alex Yeilding
03-23-2007, 4:50 PM
Okay, I can't get my image to display for some reason

Check this thread: inserting images inline (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25115)

Not as intuitive as one might be used to, but it works.

As for your main issue, I have no clue:(

Rodne Gold
03-23-2007, 5:34 PM
Corel does not fillet in X3 the same as in Acad , IE you cannot fillet "unclosed" entities like 2 discrete lines that meet , you can fillet closed items and bezier curves. In CAD you can have 2 intersecting lines and trim and fillet at the intersection , you can't do that with Corel.
Have a look here tho , there are some real nice tools and i think the tangit one might help.
At any rate , the tools make corel act more like cad
http://www.isocalc.com/cooltools/index.htm

Richard Rumancik
03-23-2007, 5:47 PM
Scott

I don't have X3 so can't verify that they have added a useful fillet tool as some have suggested . . .

However, if you are still unsatisfied, you should take a look at some add-on tools for CorelDraw such as CurveWorks at
http://www.oberonplace.com/products/curveworks/index.htm

There are other 3rd party plug-ins to CorelDraw as well. You could do some searching.

Why pay $50 for something that CorelDraw should have had all along? Well, you have to decide if it is worth it or not. There are usually some complicated work-arounds to every task. I really don't understand why Corel did not have a tool to find the intersection of two lines or add a fillet radius. You can't easily add a "true" corner radius on a rectangle in Corel 11 (it adds a distorted radius). I use the Isocalc tool at Isocalc.com to make radiused rectangles. In CAD programs some things are so simple; in CorelDraw you seem to have to jump through hoops.

I want to believe that things are better in X3; I'm speaking of Corel 11 and earlier.

Rodne Gold
03-23-2007, 5:55 PM
Dynamic guides and snap to objects in X3 are good , fillet is better than nothing and sometimes more useful than cad fillet.
X3 is a no brainer upgrade if you got the OS and hardware.

Scott Shepherd
03-23-2007, 6:42 PM
Using V12 and still no fillets in the help :)

I knew I shouldn't have left and came back to work!

Mike Null
03-23-2007, 8:45 PM
Scott:

Third edit:

I have X3.

First select both items and weld them, convert to curves (contol Q) then to window, dockers, fillet, chamfer, scallop and select the dimension of what you want to do. Use the shape tool to select the interior nodes then apply the fillet.

If C12 doesn't have this feature you can go to Oberon and get a macro which will do the round corners or you can draw a circle with the radius you want and do welds or front minus back until you get what you want.

Scott Shepherd
03-24-2007, 9:29 AM
Thanks everyone, good information. X3 it is then. I'll order it this weekend. Thanks for the other links as well. Very interesting plug-in's. I'll have to give some of them a hard look in the future. For now, they are bookmarked :)

Mike, that's exactly what I was trying to do in V12. I've been doing it exactly as you mentioned, drawing boxes/circles and shaping them into the little fillets and then welding them. Not the pretty way of doing it, but it gets it done in a pinch.