PDA

View Full Version : Tried & True Original questions????

Gene Collison
12-20-2003, 11:22 AM
A question for users of T &T Original Wood finish. I purchased my first quart yesterday. Upon opening the can, I found a fairly thin skin on top of the liquid and it seemed like really high viscosity material. Is this normal, what should it be like? My can is about the same consistency as 90/140W gear oil. TIA......

Gene

Thomas Prondzinski
12-20-2003, 9:40 PM
A question for users of T &T Original Wood finish. I purchased my first quart yesterday. Upon opening the can, I found a fairly thin skin on top of the liquid and it seemed like really high viscosity material. Is this normal, what should it be like? My can is about the same consistency as 90/140W gear oil. TIA......

Gene
Gene
I have used T&T had not noticed a skin on top of the liquid, but is very thick like honey,I warm mine up in a with a electric water boiler, otherwise you could use a hot glue pot with water in it.

Tom

Jim Becker
12-20-2003, 10:06 PM
Gene, thick is normal. Skin is not...I'd be taking that can back to the store for a fresher one!

Like Tom, I warm the T&T when I use it. I use a water bath over a hot plate to do so and a candy thermometer to check the temp...which for me is about 135º. Thos Moser heats his finish higher, but my hands can't handle more than that.

As to the finish, it's very nice. But do keep in mind that the only difference between T&T and regular, commodity BLO is in how "drying" is accomplished. T&T polymerizes the BLO by heating/cooking it at the factory...it's partially cured in a sense when you buy it and continues to cure fully once exposed to air. Regular BLO uses metallic driers to accomplish the same thing. Both the oil-only and oil/wax versions are formulated this way. The Varnish Oil combines the T&T straight BLO formula with natural resins to provide more of a film finish than you get with just the oil.

I generally use T&T for projects I must finish indoors during the cold months...we have birds and they are sensitive to chemicals and although there is very little chance of a problem with regular BLO, SWMBO is "happier" with me using the T&T. But the rest of the time, I use regular, inexpensive BLO and get exactly the same results...at least to my eyes.

Mark Singer
12-21-2003, 10:04 AM

Gene

Thats the stuff..the skin is normal. Just max well , apply in thin coats , wait 1 hour and rub out with paper towels. 3 to 4 coats and your there. Sand to at least 220 first.
Mark

Gene Collison
12-21-2003, 6:11 PM
Thanks guys for your suggestions and putting your OK on my T&T. This finish seems super easy and worthy of using.

Gene