PDA

View Full Version : cabinet corner bracing

David Less
03-23-2007, 8:24 AM
Hi Creekers,

I'm using solid wood panel constuction for my bathroom vanity project. I will need to glue some corner bracing to screw the solid surface top to. Can I use solid wood pieces, or will the wood movement be great enough to crack my glue joints? The pieces with be about 3/4 x 2" x 4" long. Would bracing made of plywood be better?

Thanks,

David :confused: :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
03-23-2007, 9:21 AM
I use scrap hardwood for solid stock and sheetgood scraps for sheetgood structures. But I also tend to use hardwood "buttons" when mounting a top on solid wood projects rather than corner braces, although there is nothing wrong with using them if you allow for wood movement there. (Glue at the front apron and screw to the side with an eased hole)

glenn bradley
03-23-2007, 10:27 AM
As usual, Jim's got it!

Gary Crill
03-23-2007, 10:49 AM
You don't screw solid surface down. some dabs of silicon on tops of cabinets will allow the top to expand and contract.:D

Steve Clardy
03-23-2007, 11:20 AM
You don't screw solid surface down. some dabs of silicon on tops of cabinets will allow the top to expand and contract.:D

Correct. It's glued down

Neil Lamens
03-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Dave does mention "solid surface".........but can be percieved to mean solid wood top........but also mentions top is for a "bathroom vanity".

Seems all bases are covered no matter what the top.