PDA

View Full Version : OT: vehicle logo replacement

Dan Bundy
03-23-2007, 7:46 AM
I have a Ranger XLT and this week the Ranger logo on the front fender (just in front of the door) came off. Don't know when or where. I have found an on-line source for a replacement.

Is it a big deal to put the new one on if I decide to try it myself, or should I just go to a body shop?

What kind of adhesive is used for this application?

Any other tips/advice for doing this?

Thanks. DB

Chuck Saunders
03-23-2007, 8:06 AM
I put the logo back on my Taurus using Goop. Never came off again so I guess it works

Matt Meiser
03-23-2007, 8:21 AM
If the logo doesn't come with it pre-applied, you can buy the double stick tape designed for putting on trim at an auto parts store. It is not a big deal at all. Just clean the surfaces with rubbing alcohol and stick it on.

Or you can take the logo off the other side and make it match. A hair dryer will soften the adhesive and "Goof-off" will take off the remains.

Steven Wilson
03-23-2007, 12:39 PM
3M double sided trim tape. Autopart stores usually carry this in small rolls. If you want more try an autopaint/autobody supply store.

Joe Pelonio
03-23-2007, 12:46 PM
It may not have "come off". Around here the kids like to pry off the auto logos from the sides, grill, or back of vehicles. We lost two that way a while back.

John Ricci
03-23-2007, 2:43 PM
Dan, its a truck and stuff happens. I'm partial to Jeep Cherokees and other than the lone Cadillac Deville in the herd all are subjected to an immediate badge/letterectomy leaving a cleaner body void of any advertising...I know what I'm driving. Tear em' all off and be done with it:D!

J.R.

Jim DeLaney
03-23-2007, 2:52 PM
Dan, its a truck and stuff happens. I'm partial to Jeep Cherokees and other than the lone Cadillac Deville in the herd all are subjected to an immediate badge/letterectomy leaving a cleaner body void of any advertising...I know what I'm driving. Tear em' all off and be done with it:D!

J.R.

Yeah, that's what I did to my Toyota, about a week after I bought it. I even took the emblem out of the middle of the grillle with a coping saw, and replaced it with a light.

When I bought my last car, I made the dealer remove his 'dealer advertising' decals before I'd take delivery. If I'm going to drive around advertising a dealer, or a brand, then they ought to pay me for it...

Jim DeLaney
03-23-2007, 2:52 PM
Duplicate post removed

Matt Meiser
03-23-2007, 3:18 PM
I did what Jim suggested with my Colorado a week after I got it. Looks cool all-black. Plus it leaves a few less places for dirty water to hide when leaving the car wash.

Dan Bundy
03-24-2007, 4:54 PM
Thanks for the ideas and tips.

I wouldn't worry about it, but there's a couple of holes punched in the fender, I'm assuming for some kind of stud on the logo maybe, but I don't know. They aren't rust holes as they aren't rusty and they're perfectly round. But it looks "wrong" with the holes so I figured I'd replace it.

I considered that it might not have fallen off. I was trying provide the benefit of the doubt.

Anyway, thanks again for the ideas. DB

Randal Stevenson
03-24-2007, 6:00 PM
The posts are for centering. Then it has some sticky stuff to make it adhere (on new ones).

So you can use goop for used, get a new, shave it (weld the holes), or whatever floats your boat.

Seen several with a broken off R

Driven by anger!

Jim O'Dell
03-24-2007, 8:42 PM
If it has holes, they could be for alignment, or they may be how the insignia mounts. When you get the replacement, it should be very evident. Every Ford emblem I've see that uses the double stick 3M tape to mount, comes with it already applied. If this part is not a Ford part, then you may have to see it to know what you'll need. Jim. (Lincoln/Mercury service advisor:D )

Richard Niemiec
03-26-2007, 4:59 PM
This thread reminded me of the funniest thing I have seen in years. Every day we try to take a walk after lunch, and in the parking lot here at work we have been passing a late 80s-ish Buick that originally had a little hood ornament centered up front of the hood that had been ripped of by someone, somewhere. Well, this particular car has, to be gentle, likely seen 200,000 miles of bad road, and I've seen cars in a junk yard that are heads and sholders above its exterior cosmetic appearance. I'm talking near bald tires, bent antenna, 1 of 4 wheel covers, dents, crumpled sheet metal, bent bumpers, with blotches of Wal-Mart spray paint touch-ups in various colors. Its a sight to behold and my walking buddies and I comment on it, and been speculating how many weeks the owner will likely keep it on the road. Perhaps recognizing the absence of the hood ornament, last week the owner mounted in its place a foot high bowling trophy, just bolted that sucker to the hood. We laughed all the way back to the office. I guess if you are driving that car around, you gotta have a sense of humor...

RN

Larry Conely
03-26-2007, 5:18 PM
I saw a Dodge similar to Richard's Buick recently. By circumstance or design, the "G" and "E" were missing, leaving the car titled as DOG.

John Ricci
03-26-2007, 5:23 PM
I saw a Dodge similar to Richard's Buick recently. By circumstance or design, the "G" and "E" were missing, leaving the car titled as DOG.

Wouldn't that be "DOD"?:confused::D

J.R.

John Ricci
03-26-2007, 7:08 PM
Perhaps recognizing the absence of the hood ornament, last week the owner mounted in its place a foot high bowling trophy, just bolted that sucker to the hood. RN

Richard, when I read that I laughed because for the last few years I have kidded my wife who is a Gemini award winner for costume design in a motion picture about bolting her Gemini to the hood of her car to jazz it up a bit...I've dodged a few good attempted slaps for my efforts:D.

Dave Fifield
03-26-2007, 9:27 PM
One of my sons friends has a large silver (color, not plated!) flying pig hood ornament on his POS truck. It's real funny! You can spot him a mile off!

Jack Dickey
03-28-2007, 8:41 AM
Jim D ,, ah my idea exactly ..

The last truck I bought , I asked how much they were gonna pay me to advertise for them .. They said the usual " dont you feel like you got a fair deal " routine , I said yeah , but it didnt include advertising .. I told them if they were not going to pay me for advertising , then I wasnt buying the truck , they begrudgingly took the dealer badge off ..

Sometime later same truck goes to dealer for a recall , I come to pick it up , and there's a dealer badge on the tailgate .. I called the service manager over and asked if he saw anything wrong with the tailgate .. Naturally he said no , I asked him who authorized the badge to be put on the tailgate .. They took it off after a bit of an argument ..

Heck take off all the badges , I know what I drive ..

Matt Meiser
03-28-2007, 7:48 PM
Sometime later same truck goes to dealer for a recall , I come to pick it up , and there's a dealer badge on the tailgate .. I called the service manager over and asked if he saw anything wrong with the tailgate .. Naturally he said no , I asked him who authorized the badge to be put on the tailgate .. They took it off after a bit of an argument ..

I wouldn't have argued--I would have told him if they didn't get it off right now and without damage, I would be calling the police to report the vandalism.

Jack Dickey
03-29-2007, 5:06 AM
Hey Matt good point , I'm gonna remember that , I hope ...