PDA

View Full Version : It might float

Sparky Paessler
03-23-2007, 6:28 AM
I haven't posted any thing in a while so I thought that I would share the latest project that I am working on. It is a 17' kayak kit from Chesapeake Light Craft. This is tonights progress.

John Bailey
03-23-2007, 6:44 AM
Sparky,

Which model is it? I bet you've got open water down in TN. We still have mostly ice up here. I'll be going to the pool Saturday morning to teach rolling. It's the best we can do up in Northern Michigan. Hope you keep us aprised of your progress.

John

David Wilson
03-23-2007, 7:32 AM
Sparky
Looking good. I've never built a stitch and glue kayak but will soon start another stripper. Keep ue updated.

Sparky Paessler
03-23-2007, 8:19 AM
John
it is the Chesapeake 17. I will try to post pictures of the major steps in the process. So far the stitch and glue process seems fairly easy.
we have open water down here all year! Some times it is fairly cold but you can kayak all year. Wish I could take your class Saturday!

David
I would love to build a strip one next but have had a hard time finding good cedar down here at a decent price. I may look around some more and try one. I already have the plans.

Paul Downes
03-23-2007, 9:30 AM
Sparky, I ran into a guy down at the river a couple of years ago that had a hand built canoe/kayak cross breed. He told me that basswood was way better than cedar for boatbuilding. 10% heavier and 2 times stronger, plus a lot easier to bend. Told me he was never going back to cedar. Food for thought.

Jim Becker
03-23-2007, 9:38 AM
Pretty, Sparky! Nice progress.

John Schreiber
03-23-2007, 10:01 AM
It's a beauty even lying upside down with the copper ties sticking out. I hope to do one of those someday.

Is everything precut and predrilled? Do things line up like they are supposed to?

Sparky Paessler
03-23-2007, 11:06 AM
John

I did get the Precut kit. It isn't that much more than ordering the plywood and all the various parts and cutting your own. You do have to drill your own holes. I am suprised at how well things are lineing up. The next step after wiring it together is to flip it and level it out and line up everything and then install the bulkheads and expoxy the joints. The instructions are very good at explaning everything. Oh the parts come in 8' or shorter with scarf joints cut and you line them up and epoxy them together. I had already completed that step and didn't have pictures of it.

Peter Lyon
03-23-2007, 11:08 AM
I built two of the Cape Charles model (I believe that's the name - its been 10 years :o ). If I recall, they were wonderful boats to paddle. I recommend buying a commercial seat though if you plan to ever paddle for over 3 hours at a time. Your backside will thank you! :)