PDA

View Full Version : New Toy - Laser for Miter Saw

Tommy Emmons
03-23-2007, 5:44 AM
Woodcraft has a sale on a laser that can be attached to your miter saw for $30. I thought, what the heck, buy it and try it. It was easy to install and works like a charm. The line is dead on as far as accuracy. Just thought I would share my positive experience. I am going to check and see if it will work on my circular saw.

Ted Miller
03-23-2007, 10:21 AM
Tommy, I have the Irwin on my Dewalt 708 and its a charm. I do have the Hitachi 10" CMS with built in laser that I take on jobs and I really like the lasers, they make my jobs so much easier and faster and right cuts every time...

Don Bullock
03-23-2007, 11:13 AM
I have the Hatachi with a laser. I love it!! The laser really helped me out on a recent project.

Chuck Reeves
03-23-2007, 11:15 AM
Tommy, thanks for the info. I had looked at the Laserkerf but this one caught my eye and matches my budget a little better. Please let us know how the circ saw experiment goes.

Bert Johansen
03-23-2007, 11:34 AM
A similar item (Rockler #21574) is listed on page 123 in the March 2007 Rockler catalog for $19.99.

Brian Dormer
03-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Very happy with Laserkerf - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Edit:
I suppose I should qualify that - recommended IF it will fit your saw. I have an older Delta chop saw and it fits just fine (on the second try). Newer Delta saws (last time I checked) not all models would work. Laserkerf customer support was very responsive and sent me an extra glue/sticky pad thing to remount the laser when I hosed up the first try.

One other thing - if you cut EXTREME (45 degree in two axes) compound miters - you need to be careful how you mount the laser. On some saws, you may not be able to make it fit. On the up side - I've never had to make such a cut - and I doubt many have.
:endEdit

Brian Clevenger
03-23-2007, 1:34 PM
I was thinking about getting the one for my DeWalt 716, anyone have experience with it?

Ted Miller
03-23-2007, 1:43 PM
Brian, I know for your model you can use the laser that fits on the arm from Dewalt. It seems gripes have been on this model with linning it up perfect...

Sammy Shuford
03-23-2007, 8:26 PM
Wonder if this would work on my Radial Arm Saw. Sure would be nice.

Ray Phillips
03-24-2007, 12:23 AM
I have the Irwin on my Dewalt and it doesn't work at all. I would not recommend it.

Tommy Emmons
03-24-2007, 11:03 AM
I looked at two different brands of circ saws that I have. The Irwin will not work. The housing prevents it from getting the light to the cutting surface.

Chuck Reeves
04-17-2007, 8:54 AM
Bought the Irwin 3061001 a few weeks ago. Finally over the weekend got to try it out on my Delta 36-235 CMS. Laser is close but not dead on (cuts long), leaves enough material to throw fine woodworking off but allowable for running painted interior trim. I am pleased with the laser brightness in the shop. Overall I would give it a "B+" because of the lack of accuracy and the blade having to be spinning for the laser to function. Currently Amazon has it as a part of their 20% off sale at $19.99.

Tommy Emmons
04-17-2007, 9:33 AM
Mine is dead on in accuracy. I had to remove the original washer and put the Irwin directly against the blade. Do you have any washers/spacers between the Irwin and the blade?

Nancy Laird
04-17-2007, 9:35 AM
We have a new cross-hair laser (from Steel City) on our drill press and it is THE sharpest thing.:) We really like it. Not the best thing since sliced bread, but getting close. :rolleyes:

Nancy

Chuck Reeves
04-17-2007, 1:46 PM
Do you have any washers/spacers between the Irwin and the blade?I double checked and no washer between unit and blade. Thanks for the suggestion.

I also looked in the instruction pamphlet for a way to adjust / fine tune. Instruction says "After you have become familiar with using your laser guide you will be able to remove, cut or leave your mark on the work surface. Practice will teach you the correct position for aligning the laser line with your mark."

That makes sense, kind of like a gun with fixed sights. You have to know where to aim to hit what your aiming at.

Larry Conely
04-17-2007, 2:19 PM
I put the aftermarket laser on my older Hitachi. I had to "tweak" the blade guard a bit, but it works great. I'm considering putting one on my older DeWalt radial arm saw.

Larry