PDA

View Full Version : Things you see when you turn

Brian McInturff
03-22-2007, 10:09 PM
At work today I'm on one of our sites and I remember a tree we laid about 3 years ago. I go check it out. It's still there. This tree has been laying in some swampy water off and on for more than 3 years. I have the chainsaw so I cut into it. Man is it soft. It's red maple from I recall. I decide to take a piece home with me and see if I can do anything with it. Good lord this stuff is rotten but it's holding together pretty good as long as I keep the gouge sharp. I pulled out a huge grub worm, largest I've ever seen. It's tunnel is what I'm calling the eyes. The thing was full of black ants also. Anyway, As I was orienting the blank I decided to try and keep the grub tunnel as close to level as possible. As I'm turning I start seeing a face form. Not exactly the form I had intended to begin with but the visual effect is pretty awesome. I see 2 eyes, a nose, a smirk to one side and hair combed over to one side. Haven't decided what to finish it with though. BLO would be impossible because it's so punky. So what would you use and would you sand it any more? Any other treatment like CA or embellishments? Thanks, Brian
http://stampclassics.com/images/creations/face%20bowl/IMG_0331.JPG
http://stampclassics.com/images/creations/face%20bowl/IMG_0332.JPG
http://stampclassics.com/images/creations/face%20bowl/IMG_0333.JPG

Chris Barton
03-22-2007, 10:17 PM
Hi Brian,

Minwax makes a cocktail called "wood hardener" that can be found at most home centers and I've found it works well on punky wood and is much less expensive in the long run than using CA. This stuff is plexiglass disloved in acetone so you could make your own. I plan to do that soon and make it a little "richer" than the Minwax version (more plexiglass).

Ken Fitzgerald
03-22-2007, 10:21 PM
I must be hanging out here too much! Ernie's starting to rub off on me. I see a little boy in that with a scowl on his face?:confused: :rolleyes: :eek: Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Jonathon Spafford
03-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Cellulose sanding sealer will take care of your punky spots, so you might try that! Like the face in it though... nice character ;)

Brian McInturff
03-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Thanks Chris, I'll check it out. You want me to bring you a chunk of this to Arrowmont in June? If so just let me know how big. I'll go back Tuesday or Wednesday and cut up some more of it as long as it's not to rotten or infested. Dang black ants bite like a fire ant.

I wanted to hollow it out a little more but I decided to stop before it exploded. Punky wood is a little difficult to hollow, just can't get a rhythm going .
Brian

Bernie Weishapl
03-22-2007, 10:48 PM
Chris is spot on with MinWax hardener. I have also mixed up 5 minute epoxy and with DNA. Then paint it on and let it dry overnight. Had good luck with it.

Christopher K. Hartley
03-23-2007, 12:04 PM
I must be hanging out here too much! Ernie's starting to rub off on me. I see a little boy in that with a scowl on his face?:confused: :rolleyes: :eek: Can't wait to see how it turns out! Me too Ken I saw a beautiful Halloween piece, stained with an orange tint, turn a top to represent the stalk and put a light inside. Then watch as some little child's eyes light up when they see it. :)

Bill Wyko
03-23-2007, 12:10 PM
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: Look familiar?:eek: Thats pretty cool. I look foreward to seeing the finsh peice.

Ralph Lindberg
03-23-2007, 12:59 PM
I use the stuff for the final cuts, works great