PDA

View Full Version : Difference between standard Unisaw and X5 versions

Ron Kellison
03-22-2007, 9:19 PM
Is there any important difference between the various Unisaws other than the 5 year warranty on the X5 versions? I'm more curious than anything else. I have already bought a 5-HP X5 that was a deal too good to pass up, but I found myself wondering about the differences when a contractor friend asked me what made the X5 better than the 20-year old version he uses. I couldn't answer the question.

Regards,

Ron

Hoa Dinh
03-22-2007, 9:35 PM
Is there any important difference between the various Unisaws other than the 5 year warranty on the X5 versions?
In a word, no.

They have the same guts.

The differences are in the appearance, rebate, warranty, packaging, and price.

Of course the current Unisaw (X5 or non-X5) may be different from the 20-yr-old version.

Kevin Blunt
03-22-2007, 9:44 PM
One Big Difference is that the 20 year old saw is truly made in the USA. Your saw, is typically made partially in the USA but of international parts. It may even be coming the way it is straight from China or Taiwan. Don't fret though because they are all going that way. (tool manufacturers)

Brad Townsend
03-23-2007, 8:57 AM
I have a standard Unisaw, as opposed to the X5. As to the current versions as I understand it, the following are the differences. This is only from what I have read and I make no claims that this is either complete or totally accurate. I have not personally examined an X5 and probably wouldn't know what to look for if I did.:D

1. The X5 comes with chrome handwheels, while the ones on the standard version are black. The chrome ones are prettier.

2. The X5 comes with two cast iron extensions, the standard with only one.

3. The aformentioned 5 year warranty. The standard has only a two year.

In all other respects, they are identical.