PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump question

Mark Stutz
03-22-2007, 9:05 PM
I'm looking for help from the collective wisdom that so selfishly flows here. I'll start by emphatically stating I know nothing about automotive repair. I have a service department I trust and have my vehicles serviced regularly. My brother has a Taurus, about 6-7 yr. old with 60,000 or so miles. Stops running, restarts when it cools down. Is told he needs a fuel pump, and was quoted $650 total. Does this sound reasonable?

Don Abele
03-22-2007, 9:26 PM
Mark, I'm not positive, but I think the fuel pump is in the tank. Which means they have to depressurize the system, drain it, then take the gas tank off - THEN replace the pump and reverse the procedure to reinstall. While I have never done one on a Taurus, I have replaced a tank mounted pump and it was a long job.

HTH

Be well,

Doc

BTW: I was a gear-head a "few" years ago when I owned a '65 GTO and worked in my uncles auto shop (to pay for the gas my goat drank).

Chuck Wintle
03-22-2007, 9:57 PM
I'm looking for help from the collective wisdom that so selfishly flows here. I'll start by emphatically stating I know nothing about automotive repair. I have a service department I trust and have my vehicles serviced regularly. My brother has a Taurus, about 6-7 yr. old with 60,000 or so miles. Stops running, restarts when it cools down. Is told he needs a fuel pump, and was quoted $650 total. Does this sound reasonable?
Your brother should get another estimate for the repair of his car. It may not be that out of line for a fuel pump which can be expensive. Are they sure its the fuel pump?

Steve Clardy
03-22-2007, 10:14 PM
Sounds a tad high to me.

I worked on cars and trucks for 25 years, but have been out of that profession since 1993. [Turned my hobby into a job;) ]
I do understand that prices have changed since then.;)

Anyway, a year ago I had one of the intank pumps replaced on my 1995 F-150, due to me not wanting to do it, and lack of time.

I paid $200.00
Parts and labor

I would get a second estimate

Bill Lewis
03-23-2007, 5:53 AM
If his car just happens to be a FFV Taurus built around that time (IIRC '99-'00), they had a recall on pumps. My wife had a company car (a Taurus) that the fuel pump went out on it. But because this was a large nationwide fleet of Taurus's (Tarui? :D ) We knew about a lot of people that had also this problem. Now that I think about it, it may not have been a registered recall, because they wouldn't replace the pump until it failed due to limited inventory available for replacements. Either way, it might be worth looking in to further. There is a possiblility that it may still be covered by Ford. There are things out there called "hidden warrentees" that cover things like this.

Tim Wagner
03-23-2007, 7:50 AM
well being an auto mech my self, the price sound right IF they are using full pump, sump and strainer assembly and feul filter. on a tauras they would have to remove the tank.

the 200 sounds right on the pickup If they just replaced the pump moter itself using an after market pump. pickup would be easier to remove the six mounting bolts and disconect the tail lights and the bed lifts right off with three or four guys. then the top of the tank is right there and easy to get too. I can do a pickup in half the time as a tauras.

a bad pump can cause the symptoms you are experiancing.

Joe Pelonio
03-23-2007, 7:50 AM
I'll give you just a few of the prices I've paid in the for fuel pumps on cars I no longer have, installed:

1987 Aerostar $475
1990 Bronco $600
1994 S-10 Blazer $675

All of them required draining and dropping the tank to get to them. Generally about half was the pump and half labor. What happens with it stopping when hot is typical but then eventually one day it will die and not start and he'll need a tow.

Mike Sheppard
03-23-2007, 8:23 AM
Mark
I had quot of $800 to replace the pump in our RV, (60 gal tank) after reading the book on it I found the pump goes on at the pleasure of a relay. $14 and 15 min. fixed it. I would try that first.
Mike

Thomas Prondzinski
03-23-2007, 8:34 AM
Mark
I don't know if it has one but I had a grand prix that did that and it was the mass air sensor in the intake tube.Took it out after the car stopped and put it in the freezer to cool down then put back in ran fine until heated up. It was about 120.00 plus core charge.Neighbor is a mechanic he said its a little circut board that cracks and when it heats up in expands and bends so contacts no longer touch until it cools of then ok.Not sure if it helps.I would think a fuel pump would either work or not.Thats my experience.

Tom

Mark Stutz
03-23-2007, 11:11 AM
Thanks guys. It doesn't sound too far off, IF that's the problem. I talked with the sevice manager where I usually go, and something about a sensor came up, but as I know less about cars than I do computers, I can't remember details. Anyway, I'm going to have him bring it the shop I usually use. I trust them.

Joe Pelonio
03-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Maybe one of you mechanics can confirm this, but I was told by one that did a fuel pump for me that they are cooled by the gas in the tank. If you are in the habit of letting it get down close to empty before filling up then you can shorten the life of the pump as it will run hot below 1/4 tank. Since then I always fill at 1/4.

Bryan Somers
03-25-2007, 1:17 PM
I may be a little late here but a daelership wanted over $600.00 to replace fuel pump and filters in my Silverado. A independent mechanic we had recomended to us and had dealt with did the pump and filters for $325.00 which was less than the other shop quoted for the fuelpump without replacing filters.

Tim Wagner
03-25-2007, 4:39 PM
I may be a little late here but a daelership wanted over $600.00 to replace fuel pump and filters in my Silverado. A independent mechanic we had recomended to us and had dealt with did the pump and filters for $325.00 which was less than the other shop quoted for the fuelpump without replacing filters.

over 600 for your pickup would be high yes. less labor involved in the pick up. but when it comes to GM products, I always stress replacing the fuel pump with a new delco unit. GM is the only ones I haven't had any good luck on using Remanufactured pumps, but just the GM's.