PDA

View Full Version : fastening sheet metal to MDF?

David P McNamara
12-20-2003, 8:48 AM
Anyone ever attach sheet metal to mdf? I do not want to use any mechanical fastners. I was thinking contact cement or liquid nails. the metal is 28 guage and the mdf is 1/2"

thanks, David

Ralph Steffey
12-20-2003, 8:52 AM
Contact cement should work fine for this just use viniger to clean the metal good before appling the glue.

Rob Glynn
12-20-2003, 10:52 AM
A question. In fact, a couple of questions.

If you put metal on one side of MDF, do you then have a problem with it warping because of unever moisture absorbtion????
If the metal is contact glued to the top, what do you do to the bottom surface to seal it? would a laminate be required, or would a paint or laquer seal be adequate?

As you might have guessed, the original question posted by David gave me an idea in respect of a project, a table that will live outside and be used by my wife for potting/gardening stuff. In my case the metal would be 1.6 mm galv steel, of which I have a supply.

Jim Becker
12-20-2003, 11:04 AM
If you put metal on one side of MDF, do you then have a problem with it warping because of unever moisture absorbtion????
If the metal is contact glued to the top, what do you do to the bottom surface to seal it? would a laminate be required, or would a paint or laquer seal be adequate?

As you might have guessed, the original question posted by David gave me an idea in respect of a project, a table that will live outside and be used by my wife for potting/gardening stuff. In my case the metal would be 1.6 mm galv steel, of which I have a supply.

Robin, good questions and there is potential for moisture issues. Sealing the other side with shellac (which is one of the best moisture barriers available...although it's not water proof--there is a difference) will help in that respect.

That being said, MDF is not something you want to use outdoors or in any moisture-laden area. It swells and will pretty much fall appart over time. It's an indoor-use product only unless you can find some Medix brand specfically designed for outdoor use. (Hard to come by)

Jamie Buxton
12-20-2003, 11:53 AM
David --
I laminate sheet steel to plywood with epoxy, using a vacuum press. The epoxy is boat-building stuff sold by West Systems. The biggest issue with the metal is de-greasing it. You might be able to do this by washing it with solvents like brake cleaner, but I sand it with a random orbit sander hooked to a shop vac.

Phil Phelps
12-21-2003, 7:50 AM
And as a rule of thumb, whatever you do to one side, you do to the other. If you are mounting the panel it will stableize. 1/2" will tend to curl if you don't seal the backside. In my business, I'd use a backer sheet, but that might not be available in your case. Flat latex paint should work.