PDA

View Full Version : My Shaker Stool

Jeff Craven
03-22-2007, 8:33 PM
I'm slowly gathering woodworking tools, but I wanted a basic project that didn't require lots of tools. I only have one plane, which is a low angle block plane, but since it is my only one, it is also my jointer and smoother. :o The sides are 6 boards that were glued up, and I hid the glue lines very well on the left side, where the grain is similar on each board.

The plan came from Thomas Moser's book & the wood is cherry with a boiled linseed oil finish. The plans had the rear stretcher 4" lower, but I didn't notice that until after I cut it. :o But I kind of like it inline with the lower step, so that doesn't really matter.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/3614/img8216qk2.jpg

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7676/img8219mv4.jpg

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/2320/img8217ib6.jpg

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1647/img8221pg1.jpg

and a picture of it being used :D:

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9512/img8214bw9.jpg

Von Bickley
03-22-2007, 8:37 PM
Great looking stool and great joinery...

Andrew Homan
03-22-2007, 8:43 PM
The sides are 6 boards that were glued up, and I hid the glue lines very well on the left side, where the grain is similar on each board.

Jeff,
Looks good! Here's a question that I've had on my mind while looking at this project in Moser's book, as well as a cupboard from the same book.
When does one cut the pins for the front (lower) step's sides? The reason that I'm asking is that it seems that it would be awkward to cut them once the sides of the lower step have been joined to the sides of the rear step.
-Andy

Caleb Dietrich
03-22-2007, 8:47 PM
Really nice job! Looks like the cat likes it also. Nice job on the joinery. Patience is the most valuable tool when doing fine work.

Zahid Naqvi
03-22-2007, 9:18 PM
Please tell me the dovetails were not hand cut, 'cause if they are I am going to throw all my tools away and start a new hobby.
Great looking stool.

Ron Brese
03-22-2007, 10:03 PM
I love that stool design, and you executed it so well maybe you don't need a lot more tools.

Ron

Jonathon Spafford
03-22-2007, 10:27 PM
Awesome... looks beautiful!!!

Are the dovetails done by hand???

Jeff Craven
03-22-2007, 11:02 PM
Jeff,
Looks good! Here's a question that I've had on my mind while looking at this project in Moser's book, as well as a cupboard from the same book.
When does one cut the pins for the front (lower) step's sides? The reason that I'm asking is that it seems that it would be awkward to cut them once the sides of the lower step have been joined to the sides of the rear step.
-AndyI had the sides completely glued up before I cut those pins, because I thought that would help me keep it all square. The tall part doesnt really get in the way of cutting the lower pins. The toughest part for me was cutting the void for the rear stretcher. I had a line scribed down the side, but paring across the grain it just wanted to tear out big chunks of wood.

Awesome... looks beautiful!!!

Are the dovetails done by hand???Yep, but don't look too closely or you'll find the wedges that I used to fill the gaps. ;)

jonathan snyder
03-23-2007, 12:15 AM
Very nice DT's! I agree with Ron and Zahid. Maybe you don't need anymore tools, and maybe I'm going to find a new hobby!! Very nicely done, and the cat seems to like it.

Jonathan

Martin Shupe
03-23-2007, 12:39 AM
Nice stool, very nice joinery.

Hey Keith, can we get a forum for just Shaker projects?

(It never hurts to ask.)

Jonathon Spafford
03-23-2007, 3:41 AM
Yep, but don't look too closely or you'll find the wedges that I used to fill the gaps. ;)

Hey, I'm impressed... looks beautiful to me!! I don't think little wedges would fill the gaps that I would make if I tried my hand at it... might have to find something a little bigger! ;)

Alan Turner
03-23-2007, 5:48 AM
Jeff,
Great job. Excellent execution. A question. I would have thought that the front step supports would be under the treads, making the tread dovetails fully across the sides. Any reason that Moser designed it that way that you know of?

Keep up the good work.

Jeff Craven
03-23-2007, 7:34 AM
Thanks for the compliments, everyone. :)

Jeff,
Great job. Excellent execution. A question. I would have thought that the front step supports would be under the treads, making the tread dovetails fully across the sides. Any reason that Moser designed it that way that you know of?

Keep up the good work.I'm not sure why he designed it that way, but his dovetail layout might make it look more consistent across the two pieces. His drawing showed half tails on the ends, but I just like the half pins more, so that is how I layed it out.

Louis Bois
03-23-2007, 8:22 AM
Jeff, I think Alan means that the actual tread continues right to the front of the side supports and the cross-piece (support) fits directly under the tread as opposed to having the cross-piece become part of the top surface of the tread. That's what I've seen on traditional ones as well.

You did a great job on this, BTW.

Cheers,

Mark Singer
03-23-2007, 10:08 AM
Excellent job! Very nice joinery!!!

Jim Becker
03-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Seems to be a very pleasing piece for the "furry user"!!! Nice work!!

jeremy levine
03-23-2007, 10:54 AM
I have the same book , great job.

Ken Werner
03-23-2007, 11:00 AM
Jeff, fine work, and you'll enjoy it more every year.
Ken

James Mittlefehldt
03-23-2007, 4:30 PM
I think that this shows that you do not need a whole arsenal of specific tools to do good work, that stool looks really nice, did you simply apply the linseed oil over the planed or sanded wood, as I have heard that you tend to get blotchy spots with cherry.

I womder if MOser did the design fronm am original piece that was designed that way in one of the Shaker collections. If I were doing it I would make the treads out to the edge and then do a mortise and tenon joint for the support piece underneth it.

Really nice piece Jeff you should be proud, now what is next on the agenda. If you are like me when your significant other wakes to the fact you can actually do this stuff your to do list is arbitrairily increased.

Brian Rice
03-25-2007, 11:41 AM
Nice job. I have built several of these. They want to tip when on the top step, that is if your weight is not centered correctly. Saw a plan where the legs flare out at the bases to prevent this. If I make more, I will do this.

Jim Becker
03-25-2007, 11:54 AM
Brian, just like a ladder, the top step isn't best for standing. In this case, sitting is a nice idea! If you need more height as a step stool, you can always go with the three step version.

And one of these things is on my list for our kitchen...I really, really, really want the ugly plastic one to "disappear"....

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
03-25-2007, 7:15 PM
Classic Shaker....beautifully done!!

Awe and cherry too, now I might have to try that some day myself...it looks perfect!:D

Jeff Craven
03-26-2007, 8:07 AM
After bringing my stool to the montgomery county woodworkers guild, and having some more experienced woodworkers look at it, I am starting to think the sides of my stepstool are mohagony. The wood has been in my basement for ~10 years, from my brothers high school project, and I just assumed it was cherry. I'm certain that the treads & stretchers are cherry, because I just picked them up at a local mill recently.

did you simply apply the linseed oil over the planed or sanded wood, as I have heard that you tend to get blotchy spots with cherry.Yep, and it did get blothcy spots.

Really nice piece Jeff you should be proud, now what is next on the agenda. If you are like me when your significant other wakes to the fact you can actually do this stuff your to do list is arbitrairily increased.:D The list of things to make certainly grows faster than I can make them. Right now it includes:
joiners mallet
shooting board
jewelry box
coffee table
cabinetmakers workbench
reproduction of Frank Lloyd Wrights table lamp

Thomas MacDonald
12-18-2008, 5:20 PM
awesome.....same as the one i posted ..what do you think was the best about this project and do you think it is a good learning project as i do

Johnny Kleso
12-18-2008, 11:57 PM
Cat looks like he is not happy posing for your pic :)

That stool looks great though......

Jeff Craven
12-19-2008, 8:33 AM
awesome.....same as the one i posted ..what do you think was the best about this project and do you think it is a good learning project as i do
It was a great introductory project, because I didn't need any of the big tools like a table saw or a bandsaw.

Cat looks like he is not happy posing for your pic :)

That stool looks great though......
The cat couldn't be happier in that pic (no body is bothering her), but her facial expressions certainly don't reveal anything. ;)

:D The list of things to make certainly grows faster than I can make them. Right now it includes:

joiners mallet CHECK
shooting board CHECK
jewelry box CHECK
coffee table CHECK
cabinetmakers workbench CHECK
reproduction of Frank Lloyd Wrights table lamp

I forgot I made this list, but I've accomplished more than I remember. :) I made a drawing of the FLW lamp, but my shop isn't well enough equipped to take that on.