PDA

View Full Version : face shield

Jim Johnstun
03-22-2007, 8:04 PM
:confused:
Where do you people get your face shields? Just got one from Woodcraft and it is not clear. Can't see the details through it. It has the polycarbonate shield like all the rest. Don't want to end up with the same thing again.

Dario Octaviano
03-22-2007, 8:18 PM
They usually have a protective sheet...did you peel it off?

As to your question, I bought one from Amazon (Delta) and it ie nice. I also bought from HarborFreight a cheap backup set and I find it even better. The face shield is even much thicker.

Jim Johnstun
03-22-2007, 8:39 PM
Thanks. Will have to go to hf and check it out. The one doesn't have a sheet on it but that is what it looks like trying to see through.

Christopher K. Hartley
03-22-2007, 9:17 PM
Got mine from HF at about 6 bucks ea. I have no problem with them but they are not fancy. I keep two on hand. They have lasted a year now and still clean up nice.:)

Dario Octaviano
03-22-2007, 9:24 PM
Jim,

Double check it...the one I got from Delta has a film that is so well adhered it is difficult to remove.

Ron Jones near Indy
03-22-2007, 9:27 PM
Another satisfied HF user.

Pat Salter
03-23-2007, 12:07 AM
We have a guy in our club, Mike Jakofsky, who does big things and wears a catchers mask over safety glasses. He says the flimsy ones don't protect him enough.

Jason Hallowell
03-23-2007, 12:59 AM
I had a nice expensive one that I replaced with the HF after it got too scratched up. The HF isn't as comfortable or as durable looking, but I can see through it a little better, and you really can't beat the price.

Philip Duffy
03-23-2007, 5:54 AM
And I have a welder's mask that will stop all kinds of things that fly off the lathe! That little window, with glass, has enough visibility to allow ruff turning. The face shield is great for normal protection. Phil

Jason Slutsky
03-23-2007, 6:10 AM
I read somewhere that scratches on faceshields can be buffed out almost as good as new. Haven't had the need to try it yet though. Another use for the Beale Buff when the time comes!

Sandy Navas
03-23-2007, 7:53 AM
I turned with my face shield and complained daily because I had difficulty seeing through it - before I discovered the protective layer of film adhered to it. With it removed I can see clearly now. Hard to admit that we are not as alert as we used to be.

BTW I have found that keeping a dryer softener sheet close by allows me to wipe occasionally to prevent sawdust for sticking to the face shield and hampering my vision.

John Miliunas
03-23-2007, 8:01 AM
BTW I have found that keeping a dryer softener sheet close by allows me to wipe occasionally to prevent sawdust for sticking to the face shield and hampering my vision.

Thanks for that reminder, Sandy! Used to do the same thing but, most recently have forgotten about that little trick. Really does help! :)

BTW, welcome to the Creek! :) :cool:

John W. Willis
03-23-2007, 9:10 AM
There is a wire mesh face shield with a clear window for eye protection that is made for the logging industry. Great if you have a fog up problem.

Tony De Masi
03-23-2007, 11:59 AM
On the poly shields the dryer sheet will work well as well as using Armorall. Weird but it works.

Tony