PDA

View Full Version : Rockwell 37-220...sharp again and a ? about age

John Ricci
03-22-2007, 7:17 PM
I pulled the knives from my Rockwell 37-220 today to give them a new edge. There were a couple of nicks which came out easily using progressively finer sandpaper on a 1/4" mirror until the edges came to a mirror finish themselves followed by a diamond hone to top it off. This thing is like a new machine with fresh blades and I'm glad I did it myself instead of jobbing it out or buying new blades. So far every stick of wood I have put through it since, soft or hard comes out with a finish that I can see a reflection in:). I would deem that to be "sharp".

My question is about the jointer itself. I inherited this old bugger when my dad passed and although he bought good tools he never quite learned how to maintain them so now I keep them up. I'd like to know how old this jointer is. It looks like an old school shop tool with the 42" top and the cabinet base. The ser#119181 is a mystery to me. anyone know how old it might be? When did the Rockwell name vanish into Delta? Thanks to any of you with any info...I love that old machine:D.

Hmmm...somehow I managed to double post this one. Sorry folks.

glenn bradley
03-22-2007, 8:04 PM
Post that info on OWWM's site. They have a large amount of info on old ww-ing machines.

M Toupin
03-22-2007, 9:05 PM
John,

the 37-220 is a NICE 6" jointer. They don't build'm like that anymore! You've got me stumped a bit on the ser# It "should be something like XXX-XXXX. If the ser# is 119-181X then it was built in Bellefountaine, Ohio in 1956. 1956 started with #116-5950, 1957 started with #119-2147 so your in the end of the 1956 year give or take.

Actually Rockwell name didn't "vanish" into Delta, in 1973 Rockwell Manufacturing Company merged with North American Rockwell to become Rockwell International Corp. In 1981. Rockwell sold the machine tool division to Pentair in 1984. Pentair in turn re-named it the Delta International Machinery Corporation.

Here's a link to the user manual to your 37-220:

http://www.owwm.com/files/PDF/Rockwell/1964-Model_37-220_%20Jointer.pdf

John Ricci
03-23-2007, 7:23 AM
Thanks for the advice guys and for the link to the manual M T ( I've never had a manual for it).

The ser# is possibly explained by the fact that the metal badge on the machine states that it was made in Canada in Guelph Ontario and it could have been a different # system for Canadian production???

M Toupin
03-23-2007, 9:23 AM
Glen,
In 1953 Rockwell (which had purchased Delta) bought out the Callander Foundry & Manufacturing Co who made the Beaver Tools. When Rockwell acquired the Beaver Tools line it became Beaver-Delta. Beaver-Delta was later renamed to Rockwell International of Canada.

Callander Foundry & Manufacturing Co was located in Guelph which explains your Canada marking. Your jointer is definitely post 1953, so the 1956 estimate is probably still about right. Post a picture and we might be able to narrow that down a bit more.

Mike

John Ricci
03-23-2007, 2:09 PM
I took a few shots of the machine today...

1) The plate on the jointer
2) The plate on the base
3) The logo on the jointer
4/5) Back and front

Something tells me this may be newer than the 50s??? It would be nice if it were indeed a 56 model making it the same age as me!

J.R.

Luciano Burtini
03-23-2007, 4:34 PM
Mine is Canadian made and the serial number is G1490_. Wonder what vintage this is?

Oh yeah, and I still need an outfeed table adjustment handle....anyone have a spare?

Dan Boschen
03-24-2007, 8:52 PM
John-
I think your 37-220 is a late 60's - early 70's model. The sheet metal base, plastic handles on the cranks and badging are similar to my US made model which is a 1973 model. The Canadian serial number is throwing everyone off as it is a different format than the US numbers.

Dan Boschen
Amarillo, TX

M Toupin
03-25-2007, 12:19 PM
John's right, late 60's early 70's. Those red knobs were used form the late 60's through the early 70's. There's not a lot of info on the Canadian ser#'s out there. Maybe a call to Ace tool repair might yield a better answer? Worth a shot anyhow.

Mike