PDA

View Full Version : Rockwell 37-220...sharp again and a ? about age

John Ricci
03-22-2007, 7:16 PM
I pulled the knives from my Rockwell 37-220 today to give them a new edge. There were a couple of nicks which came out easily using progressively finer sandpaper on a 1/4" mirror until the edges came to a mirror finsh themselves followed by a diamond hone to top it off. This thing is like a new machine with fresh blades and I'm glad I did it myself instead of jobbing it out or buying new blades. So far every stick of wood I have put through it since, soft or hard comes out with a finish that I can see a reflection in:). I would deem that to be "sharp".

My question is about the jointer itself. I inherited this old bugger when my dad passed and although he bought good tools he never quite learned how to maintain them so now I keep them up. I'd like to know how old this jointer is. It looks like an old school shop tool with the 42" top and the cabinet base. The ser#119181 is a mystery to me. anyone know how old it might be? When did the Rockwell name vanish into Delta? Thanks to any of you with any info...I love that old machine:D.