PDA

View Full Version : Turning/carving spiral "rope"

Jameel Abraham
03-22-2007, 6:58 PM
So I've got quite a few of these under my belt, but I thought I would ask if anyone here has done lots of these to see if I can learn anything new and slick.

I was debating on whether or not to get a Legacy mill, but the price really turns me off. I'd be in close to $2k with router bits and accessories for the entry level model. I could get a brand new planer with Shelix head for less than that. Sheesh.

So my usual method is to do the turning of course, then carve the bines, followed by tons of tedious hand-sanding. I hate this part. I've been using a Porter-cable profile sander, but the sandpaper only lasts a couple minutes and then doesnt stick to the rubber block after a while. In short, it's a PITA. Man, that just made me hungry for a Gyros sandwich dripping with tzatziki sauce. Oh man! :eek:

Any tips?

Richard Wolf
03-22-2007, 7:17 PM
There is a router book out that has plans in it for a rotary mill, aka Legacy. It uses alot of bicycle parts, sprockets and chains, and is limited in some of it's functions, but could do the work you are looking for.
If someone doesn't come up with the title, I will get it from the shop tomorrow.

Richard

John Grounds
03-22-2007, 11:52 PM
A lot of bicycle parts? Sprockets? Chains? That would be Bill Hylton's book Router Magic. Here is my version of the Router Lathe:

http://www.firechat.com/twistit.jpg

Richard Wolf
03-23-2007, 7:24 AM
Router Magic, that's it. Thank you for filling it in. Very nice rendition of the router lathe BTW. And welcome to the creek.

Richard

Chris Barton
03-23-2007, 7:58 AM
With my luck I woul be shifting into second gear and jump a sprocket then the router would fly off... Your version looks great and very ingenious.

Jameel Abraham
03-23-2007, 8:12 PM
Thanks for the tips fellas. I was thinking more along the line of how best to carve and sand the twists without a router jig.

But I'm seriously considering building one. Thanks for the Router Magic tip. I'll have to check that out.

Jim Becker
03-23-2007, 9:20 PM
Jameel, there have been a few magazine articles on how to carve the spirals, although most of the time, they have been "open" spirals. (hollow) I think the most recent one I recall was in Woodwork, but I could be wrong about that. I don't have access to the mags at present. But what it involves is basically laying out the spirals on the turned spindle (still mounted in the lathe) and then some cutting with a hand saw to delineate the edges and then a bunch of carving and rasp work...finalized with hand sanding.

Mike Henderson
03-23-2007, 10:27 PM
Just in case you don't know of this book, I'll mention "Techniques of Spiral Work" by Stuart Mortimer, ISBN 0941936341. It's out of print but you may be able to find a used copy. It describes how to make rope type spirals by hand.

Mike