PDA

View Full Version : Tools I need to add?

Charles Jackson III
03-22-2007, 6:17 PM
Here is the tools I think I need to add if u guys have any more please add ur imput.

Power Tools

14'' Grizzly GO580 Bandsaw for cutting curves, resawing and cutting thicker curves.

10'' Makita LS1040 10'' Compound Miter Saw for crosscuting long boards, and for cutting trim.

Freud Thin Kerf Blades 40 tooth finishing blade, and a 24 tooth rip blade, for to get better cuts out of my Delta Benchtop Table Saw.

Freud 60 tooth crosscutting blade for ultra fine cuts.

I hope to get a ginder to.

Hand Tools

A new set of Footprint Beech Handle Chisels for all the fine work.

Some old Stanley Bailey Planes for flatting and smoothing rough boards, #4, #7, and 60 1/2 block plane.

Bevel Square for marking angles.

Footprint 1876 160101 Beechwood Mortice/Marking Gauge for sorceing cuts, for dovetailing by hand.

More Bar Clamps, and maybe a couple hand screw clamps, and some quick grip clamps.

Johnson Level J36 36-Inch Aluminum Straight Edge for making sure my boards are flat.

Cutting Guide for my circular for breaking down plywood.

always need more sandpaper.

More drill bits, and spade bits.

jig saw blades.

Tools that I have.

I have a Delta Benchtop Table Saw, Skil Circular Saw, Black and Decker cordless and cord drills, Black and Decker Finish Sander , Hitachi M12VC Variable Speed Fixed Base Router, and a Black and Decker Jigsaw Hand Tools, I got a basic clamp set, hammer, a combination and framing square, tape, mallet, drill bits, router bits, nail set, jig saw blades, a small straight edge, back saw,some cheap chisels, and 1200/4000 combo sharpening stone

Paul Johnstone
03-22-2007, 6:41 PM
What kind of stuff do you want to build?

As an example, I build a lot of plywood shelves/cabinets, so if you were like me, I'd advise you to upgrade your tablesaw and get a lunchbox planer before a bandsaw.

But if you want to make bandsaw boxes, than a bandsaw would be the next logical choice..

Charles Jackson III
03-22-2007, 7:25 PM
I am going to be doing simple projects like cabinets, and small furniture.

James Phillips
03-22-2007, 7:28 PM
Get a real table saw for cabinets and furniture

glenn bradley
03-22-2007, 8:02 PM
I almost never touch my Lietz or Forrest 40 tooth blades since using my 24T rip from Lietz and 80T x-cut from Freud. All TK.

Paul Wingert
03-22-2007, 8:19 PM
I agree that you can get by with a good ripping blade and a good plywood blade (use it for crosscutting too).

I think if you are going to do a lot of plywood, then upgrading the table saw will give you the most benefit. You don't need a cabinent saw. A good contractor's saw is a huge step up from a bench top. I started on a bench top too.

A bandsaw is nice to have, but for cutting curves, you can get by with a jigsaw and more sanding for curves.

If it were me:
1. upgrade tablesaw
2. dust collector
3. planer
4. drum sander
5. jointer.

Others think a jointer is more important, but IMO, many boards can be planed only and that is adequate. IMO, of course.

Also, build a router table. It's not very expensive and it adds a lot of functionality.

Charles Jackson III
03-22-2007, 8:40 PM
Well if i master hand planes, I wont need a planer and a jointer.

scott spencer
03-22-2007, 9:21 PM
Alot depends on what you want to do. A jointer or planer or both are pretty handy, a DC and router table are convenient, and how about a basic Kreg pocket hole jig? ($20)

I'd skip the 40 tooth finishing blade and use a Freud LU88R010 60T blade in it's place...it'll do a great job in just about everything that 40T blade would, plus it'll crosscut cleaner.

Andrew Williams
03-22-2007, 9:39 PM
I would add:

1. Good workbench (unless you have one) with good vises
2. Drill Press (unless i missed this)
3. something to chop mortises with.

Paul Johnstone
03-22-2007, 9:56 PM
Well if i master hand planes, I wont need a planer and a jointer.

It all depends on how much time you have. For a big piece of furniture, it's going to take a long time to dimension stock by hand.

It all depends on how soon you need your projects done, and how much spare time you have.

I knew someone that bought a bunch of maple to make their dream workbench. I wish I could remember how many board feet. Anyhow, after a couple long days of handplaning, they came by to ask to borrow my jointer and planer.

I'm not knocking the handtool approach, but be warned it takes a lot longer, especially when you add in the learning curve.

Jesse Thornton
03-22-2007, 11:35 PM
For the most part I've built up my own collection of tools project by project, adding tools as I need them. As my experience grows with each project, my tool buying savvy increases. As much as I love hand planes, I personally would buy a jointer and planer before a bandsaw. Jointing edges with a good shooting board is one thing, but dimensioning stock and making faces both flat and parallel to each other is a tall order if you're just getting started. If you've got the time and volition, all the power to you, but it could be a hard row to hoe.
And yes, you'll be amazed at how much funcionality you'll gain by building (or buying) a router table. Basically, if you have a router, you need a router table.
I second the kreg jig too. Also, Kreg's large face frame clamps have become the most used clamps in my collection.
I'd say start building what you want to build, and as you come across the limitations of your arsenal, you'll know exactly where to spend your money.

Rick Thom
03-23-2007, 6:10 AM
Charles, you will need some sort of dust collection, particularly if you start adding machinery. A good powerful shop vac is a start ($200). If you are wanting to work with other than store-bought dimensional lumber, you will want a planer ($3-500). Lots of 'lunch box' size 12-13" are available. These can produce a lot of debis so add a cyclone lid and chip pail ($30) to your shop vac or consider a single stage dust collector ($200-500). I find my combination oscillating spindle and belt sander really useful for a lot of sanding jobs. The Ridgid is a great machine for $200 http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1361768501.1174643575@ @@@&BV_EngineID=ccdfaddkhjgmfihcgelceffdfgidgkk.0&CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc/searchResults.jsp&MID=9876&N=2984+3966&pos=n24. I wouldn't want to be without it now and it's very compact.

Charles Jackson III
03-23-2007, 11:24 AM
Ya I know I need a shop vac or something to keep the dust down.

Ted Miller
03-23-2007, 11:34 AM
My 2 cents worth for power tools for furniture and cabinets:

Cabinet TS
Jointer
Planer
SCMS
Band Saw
DC...

Jesse Thornton
03-23-2007, 12:34 PM
One of my favorite tools of late, if you don't have it already:
http://sketchup.google.com/products.html

Doug Hoffman
03-23-2007, 1:37 PM
How about a good stacked dado set?

Al Willits
03-23-2007, 3:19 PM
Words of wisdom say, to buy as you need.
But cabinets take a lot of plywood so I would focus there, if you can use a cicular saw well a good cutting guide like the Tru Grip clamp would be nice, if you have a bit of trouble cutting plywood the EZ system might be a good idea.

Going though the same as you are, just a bit further..:)

Don't say where your from, but any chance a wood worker in the neighborhod that can help with the big stuff till ya can buy your own?

Al

Shane Newlin
03-24-2007, 12:54 PM
I agree with Paul, a good quality oscillating jigsaw with good blades can really accomplish a lot. Heironimus BOSCH invented (I think). So Bosch, or one similar would be good(150 to 220 dollars). Their Progressor blades are awesome too.