PDA

View Full Version : Dishwasher...

Jonathon Spafford
03-22-2007, 5:30 PM
Quick question... we were going to get a new dishwasher. The one we have right now is 13 years old and is starting to give out. Anyway, we are having a hard time finding one that has great reviews... there are people on each review that has at least one [major] complaint. Anybody, have suggestions for a good heavy duty dishwasher???

Joe Pelonio
03-22-2007, 5:38 PM
We're in the same boat, and my wife has done the research. We'll be waiting a bit longer becuase she wants a Miele or Bosch. They are both over $1,000.

The one we have now is also 13 years old, and while it works it has a few rusty spots on the racks and is noisy. I remember buying it at Costco for under $300.

With the high price it's worth waiting for a trip to Portland to buy it sales tax free, since we go there a few times a year anyway.

Jim Tobias
03-22-2007, 5:46 PM
Jonathan,
We bought a Siemens about ayear ago and it is excellent. Also so quiet, you cannot tell it is running. I opened the door once thinking it was off and much to my surprise, there was water and it was in operation.

Jim

Joe Chritz
03-22-2007, 6:02 PM
I have a 9 year old who does dishes great.

She isn't quiet and most definately isn't cheap but it has the bonus feature of fetching beer from the fridge during the hockey playoffs. :D

I have a plain GE and it works well enough. Not high end by any shot.

Joe

John Shuk
03-22-2007, 6:04 PM
Bosch is a really good maker. They are very quiet yet you can put very dirty dishes in and get them clean. I have a whirlpool and it works nicely and is pretty quiet as well.

Al Willits
03-22-2007, 9:40 PM
Things to remember, they will break, and that upper end Miele make look awful nice, but can you find someone to fix it?
Same with the other euro models, like Asko
Also remember its probably gonna cost ya more to repair.
Main reason dishwashers are quiet is usually insulation, not always because there better made, wrap your basic dishwasher in sound deadner and it to will be quiet..:)

General consenus at work is either Bosch or Whirlpool (KitchenAid and Roper same as whirlpool) we have the Whrilpool Tall Tub and the wife is happy with it, you have to listen to hear if its running and its about half the price.

Also look at the interior design, the one who's gonna use it should do that, different units have different rack systems.

Nancy Laird
03-22-2007, 9:46 PM
We have a Whirlpool that we really like - I can stand next to the dishwasher and don't have to shout to carry on a conversation, or turn it off to talk on the phone. It's so quiet that sometimes I'm not sure it's running.

Al said "Also look at the interior design, the one who's gonna use it should do that, different units have different rack systems." That is a MUST. Every woman has a different, unique, and personal way of loading a dishwasher--and woe be unto the man who comes into the kitchen and does it wrong!!:D

Nancy

Joe Mioux
03-22-2007, 10:20 PM
we have had frigidaire, kitchenaid and maytag. the maytag wins hands down. With kids, we really liked the sanitizer feature on the maytag

my folks have a Bosch and it is ok.

Joe

Al Willits
03-23-2007, 8:42 AM
""""""""""
Al said "Also look at the interior design, the one who's gonna use it should do that, different units have different rack systems." That is a MUST. Every woman has a different, unique, and personal way of loading a dishwasher--and woe be unto the man who comes into the kitchen and does it wrong!!:D
""""""""""

My god, you and Beasty know each other????
I have yet to put anything in our dishwasher that the wife didn't give me the "look" and rearrange it, muttering about husbands, and don't they know anything?? :D :D

Maytag was just bought out by Whirlpool, might want to wait a bit on a new Maytag if ya can.
Even the Whirlpool reps we talk to aren't sure what is gonna happen.

Al

Joe Mioux
03-23-2007, 8:45 AM
""""""""""
""""""""""

That is the smartest and best advise I have ever heard. Amen to that last sentence!

DAMHIKT!

Belinda Barfield
03-23-2007, 8:51 AM
Go with the Bosch, and Al and Nancy's advice!!:D

David G Baker
03-23-2007, 9:44 AM
Woe be onto the woman that puts Tupperware and Rubbermade products in the lower rack. All of ours are warped.
David B

Nancy Laird
03-23-2007, 9:50 AM
Woe be onto the woman that puts Tupperware and Rubbermade products in the lower rack. All of ours are warped.
David B

But if you turn OFF the dry cycle and just let the dishes air dry, they won't warp. It's the dry cycle that warps them--not the washing. Saves energy, too.

Nancy

Ryan Myers
03-24-2007, 1:44 AM
""""""""""
""""""""""

My god, you and Beasty know each other????
I have yet to put anything in our dishwasher that the wife didn't give me the "look" and rearrange it, muttering about husbands, and don't they know anything?? :D :D

I wish my wife cared about the way the dishwasher was loaded. I do most all the cooking, dishes, laundry, cleaning, etc. Maybe I should trade her in for a new model?:D

KitchenAid have always made really nice dishwashers. I have had a couple Whirlpools in my last couple of houses and I would rate them as alright. I do think you get what you pay for though. A higher priced unit will get the stuck on food removed better then a builder grade dishwasher.

Jonathon Spafford
03-24-2007, 2:20 AM
Hey, thanks for all the replies folks!!! Very helpful... I do believe that we will be going with a KitchenAid. Hope this one will work out. Thanks again for all the helpful comments!

Al Willits
03-24-2007, 10:02 AM
Have fun shopping...:)
btw on the newer models with the turbidity sensor in them, do not rinse your dishes to much, the sensor "see's" how dirty the water is and if the dishes are rinsed to clean, it will shorten the wash cycle.
And you get dirty dishes.

Al

Mark Singer
03-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Get a Bosch....it does the dishes and it sand routs and is a jigsaw all in one:confused:

Brian Weick
03-24-2007, 10:50 AM
Quick question... we were going to get a new dishwasher. The one we have right now is 13 years old and is starting to give out. Anyway, we are having a hard time finding one that has great reviews... there are people on each review that has at least one [major] complaint. Anybody, have suggestions for a good heavy duty dishwasher???

I did some investigating and reviews on dishwashers and when all was said and done it was narrowed down to one brand "Bosch" I spent just under $800.00 - it was a display model from the sears store that listed for $1,180.00. I wanted the Bosch stainless steal dishwasher , one sleek handle across the whole width of the machine and the digital controls hidden on the top inside door. It is an extremely efficient machine. There is no, I repeat no heater element in this dishwasher. the water is heated through the pump motor and it gets extremely hot, when the wash cycle is completely finished it has a steam siphon system that dries the dishes. When it beeps - your dishes are sparkling clean and dry. Standing next to it,I can literally,barley hear the dishwasher running, It is an extremely quit and very well engineered dishwasher. I know they are a little pricey , but as we all say " you get out of what you purchase, what you payed to acquire it" . I am more than satisfied with this machine and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great dishwasher.
Regards,
Brian