PDA

View Full Version : Can I pass up this Unisaw?

Ryan Bess
03-22-2007, 1:55 PM
Hello all, I'm happy to be a new member of this forum. There seems to be an absolute wealth of woodworking knowledge floating around this site! On to my question - I am replacing my 15 year old Crafstman Contractors saw with a 3HP cabinet saw. Woodworker's Supply has the following deal:

UNISAW 36-L31 BC50
50" Biesemeyer fence & table
Full Delta mobile base for saw & table
Free shipping
Free liftgate delivery
$250.00 Rebate

Total cost to shop floor after rebate = $1470

http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=961-409

Is this an unbeatable deal for any new 3HP cabinet saw with similar attachments?
Thanks in advance for any help!

Don Bullock
03-22-2007, 2:03 PM
Ryan, welcome to the "Creek."

As an owner of an older Craftsman, I can understand your wanting to upgrade. This sounds like a good deal to me if that's the saw you want and you have the money. It's especially sweet if they are throwing in the free tailgate shipping. If you do get it don't forget to post pictures.

John Piwaron
03-22-2007, 2:46 PM
IMO, that's a good deal. I assume you have room for that 50" fence.

Bruce Page
03-22-2007, 2:53 PM
Ryan, that's basically the same Unisaw I bought several years ago from WW Supply. I paid a few hundred more for mine including the mobile base. I’d say that the price is pretty good.

Ps, I upgraded from a Craftsman. You won’t believe the difference!

Justin McCurdy
03-22-2007, 2:55 PM
Our local tool store was selling them for right around the same after rebate. For what it is worth, I think the Steel City 3HP is actually a better saw. The fence is more accurate and it is just all around heavier duty. With rebate, the saws come out about the same. All you have to do is find a local retailer. I have absolutely no regrets.

Just my .02

Bruce Page
03-22-2007, 3:02 PM
Our local tool store was selling them for right around the same after rebate. For what it is worth, I think the Steel City 3HP is actually a better saw. The fence is more accurate and it is just all around heavier duty. With rebate, the saws come out about the same. All you have to do is find a local retailer. I have absolutely no regrets.

Just my .02

Justin, Can you explain how the fence on your Steel City is more accurate? My Biesemeyer is dead nuts accurate over it’s entire 50” range

Ryan Bess
03-22-2007, 3:10 PM
Thanks guys. I almost pulled the trigger immediately when i saw that price for the Unisaw. I'm very appreciative of your expert opinions, and they may lead me to look at other options. If any others have experience with a great cabinet saw combo at this price range, I am open to suggestions.

Justin - I will look at the Steel City option. (Don't know much about the company, but I love the research almost as much as the purchase.)

Brad Townsend
03-22-2007, 4:34 PM
Ryan, that's my saw. I bought it two years ago from WWS for around $1360 if I recall. Absolutely no regrets. And the fence is VERY accurate. Considering how prices have gone up, $1470 is very good. You should certainly look at other options, but if you would like to look at what this one looks like after two years of use, send me a PM. I'm about an hour away from you in Byron.

Justin McCurdy
03-22-2007, 4:59 PM
Bruce,

The metal on the SC fence is milled on a parallel mill. Each umhw face is individually milled on a parallel mill. The fence is then constructed and then milled again so the fence ends up perfectly parallel.

The converse is the Biesemeyer is shimmed to parallel. I have a buddy whose Biesemeyer is out .15 at its center. That is a little much. Now I am sure that you will find tons of people that have Biesemeyer's that love them, and there are tons of attachments, but I wouldn't accept 2 Biesemeyer's for my 1 SC. Again, just my .02.

SC:
There is an extra adjustable glide on the rear fence of the saw that makes the action of the fence perfect. The motor cover on the SC is metal as opposed to the x5's plastic. The extension table is constructed of plywood instead of crappy knotty pine like the X5. The plywood is more dimensionally stable. The laminate on the SC table is affixed to the mdf with a cement that is highly resistant to weather changes. I can't speak for the Delta. However, you will most likely be able to resell the Delta at a higher price. This becomes a non-issue if you think you might keep the saw a long time.

Again, this is just my take on it, other people have totally different oppinions. The new Delta's are just not what they used to be. I feel that SC has made quite a good effort to return to excellence.

Gary Keedwell
03-22-2007, 5:11 PM
Bruce,

The metal on the SC fence is milled on a parallel mill. Each umhw face is individually milled on a parallel mill. The fence is then constructed and then milled again so the fence ends up perfectly parallel.

The converse is the Biesemeyer is shimmed to parallel. I have a buddy whose Biesemeyer is out .15 at its center. That is a little much. Now I am sure that you will find tons of people that have Biesemeyer's that love them, and there are tons of attachments, but I wouldn't accept 2 Biesemeyer's for my 1 SC. Again, just my .02.

SC:
There is an extra adjustable glide on the rear fence of the saw that makes the action of the fence perfect. The motor cover on the SC is metal as opposed to the x5's plastic. The extension table is constructed of plywood instead of crappy knotty pine like the X5. The plywood is more dimensionally stable. The laminate on the SC table is affixed to the mdf with a cement that is highly resistant to weather changes. I can't speak for the Delta. However, you will most likely be able to resell the Delta at a higher price. This becomes a non-issue if you think you might keep the saw a long time.

Again, this is just my take on it, other people have totally different oppinions. The new Delta's are just not what they used to be. I feel that SC has made quite a good effort to return to excellence.

I find it hard to believe someone's Beis's is out .15 that is over 1/8" out!! If it is a typo and you meant .015, that is still 1/64th out. What do you mean???:confused:

Gary K.

glenn bradley
03-22-2007, 5:21 PM
I was wondering the same thing. Finer graduations on the tape, maybe?

glenn bradley
03-22-2007, 5:27 PM

Ah, I stand corrected and appreciate the education. I didn't know about the milling, my bad. My Bies could indeed use some help in that area. They seem to make it necessary to mutilate and replace the fence face if you want to adjust it. Mine is out on the right side once adjusted for 90* to the table on the left.

This is such a fundemental adjustment I don't see why they don't get it when everything else is pretty bulletproof. Oh, maybe the magnified cursor I added would be nice if stock too. All that aside you can hit this fence with a truck once adjusted and it just won't budge.

John Shuk
03-22-2007, 5:50 PM
Great saw at a great price. I paid about $100 more for mine and have no regrets.

Sammy Shuford
03-22-2007, 6:21 PM
A sneak gloat, and no one caught it?

Congrats, and do post pictures!

Terry Kelly
03-22-2007, 6:24 PM
That's about what I paid for mine maybe a $100 more than that. I have no regrets at all the construction is excellent. Take the time to set it up properly and accurately and you'll have no problems.

Ryan Bess
03-22-2007, 6:51 PM
I have a 50" Biesemeyer fence on my existing saw. It has been well used over the past 15 years and has remained true. My good luck with this fence was part of the reason I originally looked at the Unisaw. If I'm not mistaken, there are not many saws that come "standard equipped" with the Biesemeyer? My current setup has been great, allowing me to rip 4x8 sheets by myself. However, I've always been limited by power, and absolute accuracy. The trunions on the Craftsman are very difficult to "set and forget". It is certainly time for a cabinet saw. I really appreciate all the comments and help.

Ryan

I am trying to attach a picture of my current setup, but my digi camera will not take a picture at low enough resolution to attach to this forum under the 100k maximum. Any advice?

Ryan Bess
03-22-2007, 7:16 PM
This is what I am going to replace. (Thanks to Doug for the pic attachment advice)

robert micley
03-22-2007, 10:51 PM
i have had so many problems with woodworking tools over the years.quality control and customer service are missing.just go on amazon and you see so many mixed opinions.why is this so-some folks get tools that are dead flat and aligned perfect and others dont.it is a crapshhot.i bought a unisaw last year.the cast iron tops had a terrible finish.you could see swirl marks.the cast iron wings were off and i had to insist on sending them back.i agree with the reviewer about the r extension table.it was not flat and cheaply made so i made my own.i had a friend help me align the table top to get the miter slot parallel.if you want to get a tablesaw with an aligned table top and flat wings and minimal runout i suspect it is a matter of luck.my grizzly jointer was dead flat with no room for even a 1/1000 feeler and a beautiful finish.if you go on the laguna forum you will even see their what a bear some people hadwith alignment.i would pay extra if you had a local store that would set it up perfectly for you and you could check it out before delivery.the key things when you get it is to first check table flatness and arbor runout.if they are bad fight to send it back.miter saw alignment you can fix.check the cast iron wings flatness.i had to shim the cast iron side with aluminum foil to get the top flat with extensions.on amazon site you see people raving about their makita miter saw and others say the alignment and play stinksthe unisaw is nothing fancy and has a plastic cover on side.after spending a month aligning,waiting for new wings and leveling new extension mine works perfectly and my fence is dead onwhen you buy a car it is all checked out and assembled when delivered.i wish table saws had same quality control.check your router base plate-some are pretty flat and others have significant cupping.dont worry about miter gauges because you will want an aftermarket one.good luck.

Gene Bukovi
03-25-2007, 1:19 PM
Hello all, I'm happy to be a new member of this forum. There seems to be an absolute wealth of woodworking knowledge floating around this site! On to my question - I am replacing my 15 year old Crafstman Contractors saw with a 3HP cabinet saw. Woodworker's Supply has the following deal:

UNISAW 36-L31 BC50
50" Biesemeyer fence & table
Full Delta mobile base for saw & table
Free shipping
Free liftgate delivery
$250.00 Rebate

Total cost to shop floor after rebate = $1470

http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=961-409

Is this an unbeatable deal for any new 3HP cabinet saw with similar attachments?
Thanks in advance for any help!

Hey Ryan,

I thought it was a great deal also and I pulled the trigger. I just finished the assembly last night. It took me a day and a half to get it nuts on. I guess I'm pickie. I also looked at the Steel City, but not enough history for me to buy it. Delta will be here longer than we will. Also, Dave Laird at ext 3003 I think was great help.

I forgot to mention delivery went flawless. UPS Freight call the day after I ordered it to schedule delivery. Three days later I came home from work and everything is sitting in my garage. So I ordered it on tuesday and recieved it on friday. I live in CA and woodworkers is in NM. Let me know if you have any questions.

Gene

Ryan Bess
03-26-2007, 9:30 AM
Gene, thanks for sharing your experience! At the behest of several woodworking friends, I am heading to Berland's House of Tools in Chicago this week to check out the full line of Steel City saws. I got a chance to "play" with a Uni over the wekend (thanks to Brad Townsend), and I will "play" with the SC this week. By weeks end I will make what I feel will be an informed decision after seeing both tools. When I pull the trigger, I'll make sure to post pictures and write a review.
Ryan

Todd Kinsfather
03-26-2007, 3:43 PM
Be careful on the $250 rebate. That is only applicable on X5 Unisaw models which cost over $2100 at WWS!
Steel City had right tilts with rebates going for far cheaper on Ebay but I think you need to pay shipping.

Ryan Bess
03-26-2007, 3:59 PM
I actually called Delta on that subject. The rebate form is listed as applying to X5 models only. Delta's very own rebate hotline told me that Woodworker's Supply has a "deal" with Delta. ALL unisaws sold through WWS are eligible for the full $250 rebate.