PDA

View Full Version : Question about finials

Bill Wyko
03-22-2007, 12:40 PM
Is there anything that I should know about finials? Any rule of thumb or some sort of standard? Or is it anything goes?

Ron Sardo
03-22-2007, 1:48 PM
Light cuts with Sharp tools.

Bill Wyko
03-22-2007, 2:06 PM
I'll try to post pics tomorrow.:D

Neal Addy
03-22-2007, 3:14 PM
Bill, there are specific design rules you must adhere to, as per the directives described in the 2005 Finial Standards Committee's Handbook. Remember that the Finial Police are EVERYWHERE! :cool:

Seriously, anything goes. Just remember that some purist will always tell you how you didn't make it look exactly like Drozda's. Don't worry about pleasing them. Just please yourself and have fun.

And Ron is right. Light cuts and razor sharp tools. The only other rule I know of is that you MUST break at least every other one you try (or at least that's my general rule).

Bill Wyko
03-22-2007, 4:00 PM
Neal, you had me going there:rolleyes: I'll have pics of my first HF with a finial tomorrow. Provided I don't destroy it.:confused: What is it called when the base is a finial up to the HF then another finial on top? Kind of like the one you made earlier Neal. That one is a real beauty.

Neal Addy
03-22-2007, 4:06 PM
I called it "Glad That's Over" but "Lidded Vessel with Pedestal" sounds much more elegant. ;)

Christopher K. Hartley
03-22-2007, 4:07 PM
Bill, I was watching a small video that described how you should work from the point back to the base. I've only done one or two but now I know why I had so much trouble.:o :)

Neal Addy
03-22-2007, 4:17 PM
That's good advice.

Bill, you might want to read Brian's post about finials (if you didn't see it).

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=54310

Bill Wyko
03-22-2007, 4:59 PM
I got the top done w/o any problems. I did discover that if your chuck has too much tension against the tail stock it wants to bow it in the middle. This may be part of the reason some have had trouble with breaking.:rolleyes:

Curt Fuller
03-22-2007, 10:15 PM
A good looking finial is like an exclamation point. It adds to the piece without overwhelming it or drawing your eye away from the main piece.

George Tokarev
03-23-2007, 6:17 AM
What I'd keep in mind is the difference between a finial and a handle. The finial is an embellishment, "exclamation point" is a good way of thinking of it, while a handle is used to lift and replace the lid. It must be sturdier, better attached, and have something to grip with your thumb in a comfortable place, not fragile beads and long slick tapers.

Other than that, I recommend you watch the grain carefully on your finials to ensure that you haven't a slant. Not just any scrap will do, you want one with pretty straight grain to hold it together as you thin it.

Bill Wyko
03-23-2007, 12:08 PM
Well I finshed the top finial. I was going to post a pic but I want to wait until I finsh the stem. I got it pretty thin though. I should be able to turn the stem tonight so hopefully pics tomorrow.:o