PDA

View Full Version : Spacers for drawer slides

Steve Milito
03-22-2007, 9:18 AM
I am beginning to assemble my base cabs. I used face frames, so I need to have spacers for the drawer slides. As luck, or lack of planning would have it; the thickness needed for the spacer is odd. I was thinking of milling and ripping 2x4's to make it cheap, since it seems a total waste to use hardwood. Is there any problems with that?

Mike Ross
03-22-2007, 10:45 AM
Steve,
I think you will be fine. We glue and screw/staple when attaching them to the sides. Remember to square them off the Face frame so your drawers fronts lay flat.

Mike Ross

glenn bradley
03-22-2007, 11:16 AM
I've done it in for pullouts in a couple pantrys. Been a year, no problem on either.

Ellen Benkin
03-22-2007, 11:41 AM
I recently did the same thing. I think I used old 2x4s that I planed flat and to the exact thickness I needed. I then stained them the color of the interior of the cabinet. They work great, and you can set up and predrill the holes for the slides outside the box (HA) before you install the spacers. One nice thing is that I have a lot of room for errors -- I can easily move the slides on the spacers if I make a mistake in spacing the drawers.

frank shic
03-22-2007, 12:25 PM
you can also use rear mounting brackets if you're using standard epoxy coated drawer slides. they have them available at woodworker's hardware as well as amazon.com. for alignment, you can use the kreg magnetic drawer slide jig that you can also buy from amazon or rockler. i just build frameless now to avoid all the extra work!

Steve Clardy
03-22-2007, 4:20 PM
I use whatever I have that is extra scrap.
2x material, leftover hardwood, etc.
I glue and nail them on

Steve Milito
03-22-2007, 6:35 PM
I use whatever I have that is extra scrap.
2x material, leftover hardwood, etc.
I glue and nail them on I was going to go with scrap plywood or leftover hardwood, but that doesn't work. I have some unmilled red oak, but its way too good to waste as spacers. I have a bunch of 2x4s that should work. I'll plane them to the right thickness and "glue and screw" them to the boxes. Thanks everyone!