PDA

View Full Version : Catalpa, Sassafras, and Spalted Buckeye

steven carter
03-22-2007, 9:09 AM
A friend gave me 2 good sized logs each of Catalpa, Sassafras, and Spalted Buckeye,
the buckeye is a little punky (hopefully it doesn't go intoo far from the ends). I'v anchor sealed the ends for future turning. I've no experience with these woods, has anyone had any experience with these woods? Anything I should know?

Ken Fitzgerald
03-22-2007, 9:21 AM
Steven....Welcome to the Creek! While I haven't turned any of the woods you asked about, I have a piece of sassafras that was sent to me and I need to turn. Thanks for reminding me!

Paul Engle
03-22-2007, 9:39 AM
Steve, also welcome. I have a piece of Catalpa ( coffee wood ) coming from Kentucky ( Kentucky Lake area) this week, I will turn as soon as it gets here and can let you know. It is 8x11x5 for a bowl , dry and seasoned , no pith.
but to answer you're question, nope......

Leo Pashea
03-22-2007, 12:52 PM
Steve, also welcome. I have a piece of Catalpa ( coffee wood ) coming from Kentucky ( Kentucky Lake area) this week, I will turn as soon as it gets here and can let you know. It is 8x11x5 for a bowl , dry and seasoned , no pith.
but to answer you're question, nope......

Catalpa and Kentucky Coffee Tree are 2 very different trees. I have turned Catalpa, and it is wonderful to work. Carvers like it as well, as it is fairly soft and easily tooled. Catalpa has beautiful grain, and is also fairly stable. Coffee Tree wood is hard and heavy, with grain that resembles Sassafras. It turns well also.

Paul Engle
03-22-2007, 2:18 PM
I wondered about that, the carver sending the catalpa made it sound like it was a variety of coffee wood, ah thanks for heads up Leo, like Steven I have not turned any of the ones he is asking about .

Christopher K. Hartley
03-22-2007, 4:33 PM
Welcome Steven! The Abyss awaits your willing or unwilling wallet, and that is all you need to know.:eek: He he he:) Sounds like you've got a great start on the wood end of things.

Dale Gregory
03-22-2007, 6:51 PM
Steve, welcome to the Creek! I just finished a buckeye bowl last week. It had a bit of spalting and a bit of flame. I thought it turned pretty well, both green and later when dried.

Dale

Bill Wyko
03-22-2007, 7:56 PM
Nice job Dale. That's a nice peice of wood you did that with. Welcome Steve.

Chip Sutherland
03-22-2007, 8:41 PM
I have a bunch of rough turned sassafras and some log blanks. When I turn it in the garage, my wife can spell it upstairs past a closed door. I can't find a pic to post but I had only one finished piece and it sold quickly at my first craft show in Nov. My logs had spalted sapwood throughout which makes really neat detail. I found it easy to turn and easy on my tools. I do recommend wearing a respirator when turning really green stuff especially if the lathe is tossing off 'water'. Too much odor can be over-powering. I like the contrasting growth rings. I tried to do a natural bowl but the bark isn't suitable...or at least mine wasn't viable.

Have a spinning good time with your wood!!!

William Bachtel
03-22-2007, 9:03 PM
You will really like the Sassy and the Catalpa, both are great woods to turn. I fell into a lot of Curly Sassy a few years ago, and it is top self.

Bernie Weishapl
03-22-2007, 11:08 PM
As was said you will like the Sassy and the Catalpa. Both are excellent woods.