PDA

View Full Version : Gloat, need advice

Mario Lucchesi
03-22-2007, 7:47 AM
I am going to pick up a Unisaw tomorrow and was wondering if I should try to take it apart and put it in the back of my caravan (wife's sugestion) or get a trailer hitch for the van and bring me 15' trailer and load it in there?

The van is new (used) and we have not put a hitch on it yet.

Per Swenson
03-22-2007, 7:52 AM
Congratulations,

I would go with the trailer.

Per

Mike Cutler
03-22-2007, 9:28 AM
Trailer.

Get a class II reciever put on it, unless a class III fits within the vehicle's towing spec, then put that on it.
The weight of the trailer and unisaw isn't all that much, and should fit a class II for gross trailer weight,and tongue weight.

Al Willits
03-22-2007, 10:23 AM
If your gonna have to dissasemble it to get it in where ever your gonna put it, sure take it apart now.
If its going into somewhere like a garage and doesn't need to be dissaembled, use the trailer, small snowmobile trailer with a ramp works well.
Al...who just that if you live in the south a snowmobile trailer might be hard to find...:D

Mario Lucchesi
03-22-2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the avice, I figured it would be much easier to go buy a hitch and just load it into the trailer.

I can only imagine what it would be like to put it in the back of a minivan.

Now I will have to change the layout of my shop to fit it!

Jack Hogoboom
03-22-2007, 11:06 AM
I'm laughing just at the thought of what it would look like if a person tried to put a 400 lb table saw in the back of a mini-van.:eek: I think you are VERY wise to opt for the hitch.

Jack

glenn bradley
03-22-2007, 11:15 AM
Congrats . . . trailer. You do not want to muscle something like that into and out of a minivan while trying to avoid damage to both.

David Clawson
03-22-2007, 11:15 AM
My first cabinet saw was a grizzly 1023. I took it apart to get it into a 2 door chevy cavalier. It fit, but it looked rather amusing with the cabinet sitting in the passenger seat with the seat all the way back and fully reclined. Not something I would recommend.

Best of luck.

D.

Randal Stevenson
03-22-2007, 11:26 AM
My first cabinet saw was a grizzly 1023. I took it apart to get it into a 2 door chevy cavalier. It fit, but it looked rather amusing with the cabinet sitting in the passenger seat with the seat all the way back and fully reclined. Not something I would recommend.

Best of luck.

D.

Yea, but did it allow you to use the carpool lane?:D

Go with the trailer, it would make a nice future lumber/tool hauler!:)

Ted Miller
03-22-2007, 11:38 AM
Trailer or rent a truck with a liftgate and a pallet jack...

Geoff Crimmins
03-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Just take the top off and slip in the back of the mini van. You'll probably need a hand truck and a friend to help move it. It's just a Unisaw. It's not that heavy. Really. If you need an excuse to buy a trailer hitch, then go for it. But you don't need a trailer to haul the saw. BTW, that's a great saw and I'm sure you'll enjoy using it.

--Geoff

Jim Thiel
03-22-2007, 1:21 PM
It's just a Unisaw. It's not that heavy.

While not that heavy, heavy enough. How far do you need to go to get your new saw? And do you ever find yourself driving back and forth on Lumberjack just because you can? (I had to Yahoo Elwell)

I moved a 1023 maybe a month ago. With help, she was still a beast to lift into the back of a truck with a cap. I would not advise trying that with a minivan. With a hand truck and ratchet strap you can move them easily up/down stairs though.

Jim

Joe Scarfo
03-22-2007, 1:44 PM
I always rent a motor cycle trailer from Uhaul for this kind of stuff.

The trailers are very cheap for the day, have tie down rails, and include a ramp for getting the new tools up onto the trailer...

Good luck w/ the move.

Joe

Mario Lucchesi
03-22-2007, 2:14 PM
Jim, I am driving down to Holland tomorrow morning to pick it up. I will bring a few straps and a winch and gently pull it into the trailer. (plan A)

Don Bullock
03-22-2007, 3:40 PM
Mario, congratulations on your new saw. I've heard great things about them. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

I have no input on picking up the saw. I always have things like that delivered. For me, it's worth the cost.

Scott Vigder
03-22-2007, 3:57 PM
I picked up my new Unisaw by loading it onto my trailer that was attached to my Grand Caravan. Does that help?

Chris Jenkins
03-22-2007, 4:12 PM
As if you haven't heard enough I just have to comment on this one.

I brought home both a PM 66 and PM 3520B in my 94 explorer only a few months back. Looking back not the best decision, but I took my time going home (I was on all back roads and it was less than 30 mi) and everythign was ok. I have a basement shop so I disassembled before I brought home, plus I got everything in the explorer this way.

Mike Wilkins
03-22-2007, 4:21 PM
You could partially disassemble it (top, motor) and place it in the back of the van with the rear seat removed. Don't forget to put a tarp or disposable blanket on the floor first.
I hauled a Parks 12" planer from NC to south Georgia in the back of a Ford Aerostar several years ago. No problemo. Just no fun moving the beast solo.

Paul Mayer
03-22-2007, 8:17 PM
I picked up a unisaw, planer and CMS in the back of my voyager. No problem at all. Could have packed in a lot more tools.

Its only 500 pounds, which is only 2 big passengers.

J.R. Rutter
03-23-2007, 10:00 AM
I bought a used Unisaw in December and put it in the back of my SAAB!

Took the top and fence offand loaded them first, then laid the cabinet on top, with a blanket in-between. Hatch closed and everything. I could have won some bets with that one!