PDA

View Full Version : Shop Fox 15" w1742/Grizzly G0453 planers and it's clones

Kevin Blunt
03-22-2007, 12:49 AM
Hi Guys,

I have a quick question about the Shop Fox 15" w1742 planer concerning getting it down to my basement shop. The crate containing the entire planer is too heavy to get down there, so I'm wondering if it's possible to disconnect the actual planer from the base in order to take it down in two pieces using a fridge cart.

Does anyone who owns one know if this is possible?

Here is the link.

http://www.woodstockint.com/Products/W1742/

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0453

Thanks,
Kevin

Al Killian
03-22-2007, 1:28 AM
From the looks of the pics, you should be able to take the top off. If you remove the motor and the in/out feed tables, it might bring the weight down enough. The motor it self probaly weighs around 20 plus pound. I am sure the tables are atleast 25# each. That would nock off close to 75# pounds but, I am not sure if that would be enough to safely move it.
Al

Dick Rowe
03-22-2007, 6:10 AM
Kevin,

I can't comment on these two planers but I just received a new Steel City 15" planer this week and had to move it into my basement shop. Based on the pictures the Steel City looks similar to the Grizzly .... and it is possible to break it down to move.

You will have to remove the belt guard and belts and then the 4 bolts that hold the planer unit from the motor base. As stated earlier, haul the infeed and outfeed tables down individually as well. If the power switch is already bolted to the planer you will have to unbolt that as well.

The planer itself has a pair of pull out handle on each side to assist in moving the unit. These are designed primarily to be strapped to lift forks, but work ok for one person on each side to lift and carry the planer unit.

It will take 2 strong people to move the top planer unit. Even after I disassembled it from the base, the bulk of the weight is still in the top unit. I would guess the Steel City was still over 300 pounds after I removed it from the base.

Have fun with your new planer. I just got mine wired up last night and am in awe of the power, precision (no snipe), noise reduction, and super clean cuts a 'real' machine can bring to the shop.

Joe Chritz
03-22-2007, 7:14 AM
Basements can be "exciting" to get a big piece of equipment to.

Have you thought about a furniture dolly? It should handle to weight make going down a lot safer and easier.

Not sure on the size of that unit but you could crate the planer itself and strap it to a dolly even after disassembly if needed.

Joe

Jeff Kerr
03-22-2007, 10:21 AM
Kevin,

I have the G0453. you will like this planer. That said, I didn't have to take it down a flight of stairs. It is one top heavy tool. the Cast iron tables can be taken off, that will lighten the load. I agree, you will have to dissassemble a good amount to do this but it seems doable.

I have had great luck with Grizzly service in the past. I called them when a used planer was in an auction. the took the time to give me a lot of detail over the phone about that model and what to look for in the tool condition.

Give them a call and they should be able to tell you for sure how difficult it is to take apart.