PDA

View Full Version : segmented sanding question with mini-gloat

Robert McGowen
03-21-2007, 11:26 PM
I didn't want the lack of equipment to be an excuse for trying my hand at segmented turning, so UPS dropped off a Jet 1HP 12" disk sander today. It came all ready to go with sandpaper on the disk. It appears to be 80 grit. I sanded a few things and you can definately see the swirl marks in the wood, even on the end grain. Is 80 grit too course for glueing segments end grain and then again for flattening the rings before glueing the rings together? I have 120 grit disks on hand also. Proof of purchase photo attached. :)

Nick Tuzzolino
03-21-2007, 11:50 PM
80 grit is what you want. All the segment gurus use 80 grit for most everything. Check out Malcolm Tibbett's book and Curt Theobold's 2 part DVD. Both will get you through any project you can conjur up.

Malcolm Tibbetts
03-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Robert, as Nick said, 80-grit will work fine. I've used 100 and 120-grit in the past and I came to the conclusion that it didn't improve any appearances. If I'm running a lot of rings through my drum sander, I usually end with 120-grit, but 80-grit is always on my disc sander. Perhaps just as important as the "grit" is the condition of the paper. Keep it clean from extractive build-ups. If you find yourself "burning" any of the end-grain, then it's time to replace the disc. Sandpaper is a tool and just like a saw blade, it needs to be sharp.

Good luck with your segmented adventures.

Mark Pruitt
03-22-2007, 11:37 AM
Robert, keep one of those big rubber belt/disc cleaning sticks handy and that disc will last you a long long time.

Congrats on the new sander!

Robert McGowen
03-22-2007, 11:41 AM
Thanks Nick and Malcom. I actually received Malcom's book for Christmas. I had to leave the internet browser "accidently" open on the book order page a couple of times before the wife took the hint though! The jig for sanding the segments is in the works for this weekend. :)

Keith Burns
03-22-2007, 11:42 AM
Another excellent book is Woodturning with Ray Allen. It is my go to book !!

Bill Wyko
03-22-2007, 12:03 PM
Also try to cut your segments in a way that you keep sanding to a minimum. The disc is to clean up the surface, not so much for removing a lot of material. Using it to remove material will dull your disc very quickly. I'm glad to see more people trying segmenting. I look foreward to seeing your work. Good luck:D Pics please:)

Christopher K. Hartley
03-22-2007, 4:28 PM
Great Gloat Robert, I only have the HF version but have used the heck out of it. I know you'll love it.:)