PDA

View Full Version : C-Clamp Organizer

glenn bradley
03-21-2007, 11:17 PM
C-Clamps are like wire coat hangers; every time you grab for one, three others come along tangled up with it. I finally got tired of it and swore that before the piece I was using them on set up, I would have a c-clamp rack. Put this together out of some scrap.

I used my planer sled to put a 3* angle on the backer board. I then used this angled surface as a reference for the 'auto adjust; dado jig from a previous post and cut the dados to angle the tongues at that 3*.

Now I just have to find a blank spot on the wall to screw it to . . . Organizing the shop, the never ending battle . . .

Al Killian
03-22-2007, 1:51 AM
I like it. It is fairly simple and it keeps the orginized by size.
Al

Karin Voorhis
03-22-2007, 8:43 AM
Thanks for the post nice to see a fun clean simple great organizing idea!!!! Keep them coming:D

Kyle Kraft
03-22-2007, 9:07 AM
That's a great idea! I gotta build me one, but with a block on the back to hang it the French Cleat running around my shop.

Joe Trotter
03-22-2007, 9:38 AM
great idea Glenn! I have an armload of those things.

I am going to have to make a couple of those.

Joe

Wes Bischel
03-22-2007, 9:47 AM
Great idea Joe! I bet you'll crack a smile every time you grab a clamp.

Thanks for posting it,

Wes

Kevin Smith
03-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Glenn - It looks like this should work pretty well. Good luck finding the needed wall space for hanging...:)

glenn bradley
03-23-2007, 12:14 AM
Thanks guys. Found a spot over the shop-vac. Pretty crude really, but I sometimes post these things not as 'great works' but as a reminder to myself that taking a small amount of time to slam something like this out will benefit me again and again over time.

Some of these ideas die out and some stick around in their 'temporary' state . . wayyyy too long. Others work out well and get re-made with a little more attention to aesthetics.

Enjoy!

Don Bullock
03-23-2007, 8:00 AM
Excellent idea and design Glenn. At present I don't have many c-clamps, but I can definately see the need for them and your rack is the best way of organizing them that I have seen. A copy of your post and pictures is now in my notebook on shop tools. Thanks.

Sandy Kronberger
04-25-2010, 11:22 PM
I appreciated the post. I am always a day late and a dollar short. Your post was in 2007. I am posting April 25, 2010. I made some racks for my other clamps out of wood, and they are bowing, so I have to put another brace in the middle. For C -Clamps, I was stumped. My C Clamps range in size from a couple of inches up to about 9 inches. As with all clamps, I just want to hang them up without having to clamp them down. This will work for me. Thank you.

Don Morris
04-26-2010, 3:48 AM
I don't know. Looks like you have the "screw part" (mental f__t can't think of the name) screwed most of the way up and to remove it you would have to pull it off over the front. If you don't have it screwed up all of the way, it sticks out a lot and takes up a lot of room. If the one you want is behind the couple in front, that could be a problem while you untwist the "screw part". If they're all the same, then it doesn't mater, just pull the one in front. Mine hang vertically so they don't take up a lot of room even when the "screw part" is screwed up all the way or when it's not screwed up all the way. But I like how solid yours is. My vertical hanging system is a little shaky, when I go to grab one, if I just bump another, it may fall. I've got to think about this.

glenn bradley
05-17-2010, 3:18 PM
FWIW, I dumped the rack shown here and went with a row of pegs.

Van Huskey
05-17-2010, 5:02 PM
FWIW, I dumped the rack shown here and went with a row of pegs.

I too use pegs BUT I like this one for the more finished/organized look of it.