PDA

View Full Version : Need Input & Ideas for Building Church Auction Item

joseph j shields
03-21-2007, 11:12 PM
It's that time of year & I've got to build something for my Church auction ... but I'm running out of time & ideas :confused:

I saw a hall stand in FWW that caught my eye (See pic below) , but I don't think Arts & Craft has a big following and could have a negative effect on raising money for the church.

Over the past 8 years, every piece I've built has been Shaker (Tall Clock, pie safe, hall table, hunt board, wine cabinet...) and all have auctioned for $1,500-$3,000.

So here are my questions:

#1. Do you think the Art&Craft hall stand would fetch ~$2,000???

#2. Does anyone have leads on plans for a similar hall stand but in a Shaker style??

#3. Any other ideas on what I could build that would auction for `$2,000??? Links to plans would be great!

As always... Thanks for your help!!!

-jj

Martin Shupe
03-22-2007, 1:50 PM
JJ,

First let me say, I am not an Arts and Crafts guy.

Now let me try to answer your questions.

1) I think it would fetch $2000, if you have the right bidder in the audience. Do you expect only your congregation at the auction? What I mean is, do you normally have non-members (a larger audience) at the auction? If you do, the AC Hall Stand would probably do well. However, if the people who usually attend are used to you bringing a Shaker piece, they might be disappointed that you didn't bring one this year. If you decide to make this piece, most AC furniture is made from QSWO, but I am sure you already knew that. I think the type of wood might have an effect on the bids.

2) No, I don't, in fact, I don't think I have seen one in any of my shaker books. They used peg rails, so I am not sure they even made any hall stands.

3) First let me say I admire you for supporting your church in this way. Because I am such a slow woodworker, my church has to settle for a weekly check. My suggestion would be a couch table. I can dig up some plans for one that Kelly Mehler does, or you can get an idea from a pic of mine in progress below.

The only reason I suggest this table, is that both nieces on my wife's side want me to build them one. The top is about 60" wide and 17" deep. The legs are 30 and 1/4", so with the top, it is 31" tall. The legs are 1.5" square. Mine has 3 drawers, but if you are pressed for time, you could leave the drawers off and it would be a quicker build. I think the drawers would raise the price, if you have time. If you decide to build something like this, let me know if you need more measurements. The table goes well behind a couch, or against the wall. My wife has made ours into a family picture display table in our den.

I know you will make something really nice, whatever you decide. Be sure to post pics here, so we can admire your fine work.

Paul Johnstone
03-22-2007, 1:58 PM
Joeseph,

I don't have much advice, but I think I agree with you that an Arts + Crafts furniture piece will not have nearly the appeal of a more traditional item.

Maybe I'm selfish, but if it was me, I'd build it anyhow if that's what I wanted to build. I know the goal is to raise money for the church, but since you are volunteering, why not indulge yourself and build something you want to build? You might be surprised at what it goes for.

If you wanted to maximize the amount of money the church makes, it might make more sense to make 2 -6 smaller items (blanket chests, etc) than one large item like that hall stand. Less material and labor tied up in the smaller items.

Pete Brown
03-22-2007, 2:18 PM
At least out here on the east coast, A&C is really catching on. Even Target sells crappy looking A&C furniture in QSWO-looking veneer particleboard.

Most of the furniture stores also have A&C/Mission sections now.

That being said, a Shaker piece would probably be quicker and a little easier to build.

Pete

joseph j shields
03-22-2007, 4:32 PM
Joeseph,

I don't have much advice, but I think I agree with you that an Arts + Crafts furniture piece will not have nearly the appeal of a more traditional item.

Maybe I'm selfish, but if it was me, I'd build it anyhow if that's what I wanted to build. I know the goal is to raise money for the church, but since you are volunteering, why not indulge yourself and build something you want to build? You might be surprised at what it goes for.

If you wanted to maximize the amount of money the church makes, it might make more sense to make 2 -6 smaller items (blanket chests, etc) than one large item like that hall stand. Less material and labor tied up in the smaller items.
Paul,

Thanks for the idea... I really haven't considered that.... I guess I'm too close to see the bigger picture :confused: Every year I have struggled to build a better piece (to generate for money) Year 1 was a simple hall table ($1,000) next year a small book case ($1,200) .... 2 years ago was a real nice wine cabinet ($2,000) Last year was a real nice hunt table ($2,500)

Reflecting on the past auctions, lots of people were bidding... so there are many potential buyers. Building a couple of mid-priced items may generate more that 1 "super" piece.

I'll give this some serious thought.

Thanks!

-jj

Paul Johnstone
03-22-2007, 6:44 PM
Let us know what you end up building, and post pictures. And of course, brag about how much it sold for. :)

You must do great work to fetch prices like that.