PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Mark Singer...

peter slamp
03-21-2007, 10:51 PM
The thread about contemporary furniture inspired me, the noob, to start designing furniture that appeals to me, even if it's not necessarily 'traditional'. Since I have only been doing this for a couple of months I've been mostly trying projects that while fun, weren't really my style. After our discussion I decided to design a table that is inspired by your amazing table. I don't have access to I-beams and cool stuff like that, so I welded some legs from mild steel. The top is a beautiful (IMO) slab of Sapelle. It's hard to see the grain since the picture is taken at night. I mounted oak stretchers onto the metal cross beams to attach the top and also give an illusion of 'floating'. I used shellac for the first time and really liked it, especially with this wood. Thanks to all who endured my endless questions about finishes!

The internet really is an amazing tool. I'm completely self taught (obviously, I'm sure) and have learned everything from books and mostly sites like this. I don't know if I would have had the confidence to start a daunting hobby like this 10 years ago. It's amazing the knowledge, as little as it is relative to all of you, I've gained here in my 3 months of WW. Thanks for making the beginning of my journey so enjoyable! :D

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/pslamp32/newtable1.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/pslamp32/newtable2.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/pslamp32/newtable3.jpg

p.s. please don't laugh at my family room furniture. My wife actually likes it! Oh and the carpet came with the house, just haven't ripped it up yet! LOL. :p

Don Bullock
03-21-2007, 11:14 PM
Nice work Peter. While your design is not what I'd want, it looks great. I really like the simplicity of your modernistic look. That wood is beautiful. Congratulations on a job well done.

Yes, the Internet is definately an amazing tool.

glenn bradley
03-21-2007, 11:21 PM
Very nicely done. I'm more of a classic-style guy but really appreciate the clean lines of modern pieces. Beautiful figure in that wood.

Rick de Roque
03-22-2007, 12:06 AM
Good job Peter. Love the figure of the Sapelle. I don't think I have ever seen Sapelle. Welcome to a great hobby.

Rick

Pete Brown
03-22-2007, 12:13 AM
Very nice!

How did you attach the stretchers to the top? Did you provide some room for the screws to move so the top can expand/contract without splitting? (either by screwing only in the middle, or providing slots for the screws) If not, please do, as that is a nice piece of wood.

Pete

peter slamp
03-22-2007, 12:34 AM
Very nice!

How did you attach the stretchers to the top? Did you provide some room for the screws to move so the top can expand/contract without splitting? (either by screwing only in the middle, or providing slots for the screws) If not, please do, as that is a nice piece of wood.

Pete

Thanks Pete! The stretchers run lengthwise (Can't see in picture), and are screwed into steel crossbars. Threading that steel rod was a PITA! I drilled slots crossgrain into the stretchers. I then put threaded wood inserts into the table top from underneath that bolts screw into through the slots.

Trust me, I really babied that wood. It's the most beautiful and by far the most expensive stock I've used in my short WW career! I spent the last week building up the finish, which is a long time for someone with 'instant gratification' syndrome! :p

Ken Fitzgerald
03-22-2007, 12:49 AM
Peter...if I may. You might post this over on the design forum. I know Mark will be thrilled to think he caused you to design this!

John Schreiber
03-22-2007, 1:03 AM
Very nice. It looks good and it looks strong. My only worry is how my leg would look if (when) it hit one of those corners.

peter slamp
03-22-2007, 1:05 AM
Ha! I tried to get LOML excited about it, and she just kept remarking how this table would be the end of our 3 year old son.

Mark Singer
03-22-2007, 1:06 AM
Peter,
This is a wonderful design! There is a purity about it...the lightness of the frame ......the solidness of the plank....seperated in a relationship...just wonderful! To be honest with you I don't deserve any credit! This is clearly your design period! It looks nothing like my table that you mentioned and it is way different than any of my tables.....the simplicity and character suggests a very confident piece from a confident designer!
I lok forward to seeing more of your work. The only critisim I have is that the frame is not stainless.....it is too nice of a piece to be executed in mild steel... Pieces I made 20 years ago from mild steel have not aged well....even with sealers on the steel. I have an award winning desk and bed I designed for my daughter, when she was in High Scool ...now she is a mother....the desK is rusty and does not look good compared to the quilted maple woodwork and opaque glass. The design is strong to this day and I really feel I need to have the base re-made in stainless. Powder coating is better, but does not look nearly as good.

The execution of the table and the design are top notch! No question about that!

peter slamp
03-22-2007, 1:15 AM
Thanks Mark! Coming from you it certainly means alot! I would love to use stainless to be honest. Only problem is that as in WW I am a self taught welder and I haven't tried it yet. Perhaps I should give it a go. Anybody know if stainless can be welded using a simple mig welder? Guess I'll have to hit the books again! :)

Mark Singer
03-22-2007, 1:26 AM
Thanks Mark! Coming from you it certainly means alot! I would love to use stainless to be honest. Only problem is that as in WW I am a self taught welder and I haven't tried it yet. Perhaps I should give it a go. Anybody know if stainless can be welded using a simple mig welder? Guess I'll have to hit the books again! :)

Peter,
I have done work stainless on my furniture, but never welding... I have a person I collaborate with... I don't feel I have to to everything. With good quality metal work , my furniture looks better and in the few instances where I sell a piece it goes for a higher price. So one solution is to find a metal worker that does stainless. Again amazing design on the table!

John Stevens
03-22-2007, 10:25 AM
I am a self taught welder and...

I've also been interested in working with steel, but I have no idea where to start. Perhaps if you have time in the future, you'd post a thread on books you've found useful for learning about fabricating steel.

BTW, as a rule I don't post comments on other peoples' work, but FWIW, I really like your table. Perhaps you might think about actually cultivating the rust on the frame. I went to a university that had a lot of outdoor sculpture that was made of steel that was supposed to rust. When fully rusted, it had a warmer, softer look than metal usually has. To each his own, but I think stainless steel is almost always cold and impersonal--fine for offices and conference centers, but not for a home. Then again, some people pay a lot of money to live in houses that look more like conference centers or hotels than "home." (Now maybe you see why I don't post comments on other peoples' work...)

Regards,

John

Gene Chu
03-22-2007, 10:35 AM
What are the dimensions of the slab?

It's a very clean design and that Sapelle look great!

peter slamp
03-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Perhaps you might think about actually cultivating the rust on the frame. I went to a university that had a lot of outdoor sculpture that was made of steel that was supposed to rust. When fully rusted, it had a warmer, softer look than metal usually has.

I agree as well. I've been talking to some metal artists about using some patinas. Really cool look. I guess I should just start experimenting. Thanks for your comments! :)

David Duke
03-22-2007, 11:02 AM
........ Anybody know if stainless can be welded using a simple mig welder? Guess I'll have to hit the books again! :)

Peter, you can weld stainless with a mig however you would probably have better luck using TIG . You would have a very controled arc more puddle control and eliminate all weld spatter; besides you could get another machine which is ALWAYS good.

Greg Cole
03-22-2007, 11:13 AM
S/S can be mig welded easily. But the spatter and wire feed make for alot of additional clean up.... not as thought these are heavy duty welds or heavy structural welds.
TIG welding is better for fusing stuff like the square tubing on the table. One thing with welding stainless is that is will deform VERY easily, even buffing-polishing will distort thin stainless or thin wall tubing. I deal with all S/S parts n pieces, machining and machinery for a living.

That is one nice slab by the way!

Greg Cole
03-22-2007, 11:15 AM
S/S can be MIG welded easily. But the spatter from wire feed make for alot of additional clean up.... not as thought these are heavy duty welds or heavy structural welds.
TIG welding is better for fusing stuff like the square tubing on the table. One thing with welding stainless is that is will deform VERY easily, even buffing-polishing will distort thin stainless or thin wall tubing. I deal with all S/S parts n pieces, machining and machinery for a living.

That is one nice slab by the way!

Ken Werner
03-22-2007, 11:41 AM
Peter, wonderful design and execution.
...but I have to agree with the LOYL about the corners intersecting with your 3 year old. Maybe some bumpers on the points for a year or two? OK, I'll go mind my own business....
Ken

John Stevens
03-22-2007, 11:43 AM
I've been talking to some metal artists about using some patinas. Really cool look. I guess I should just start experimenting.

Yeah, very cool look. I'd done a web search on it a year or so ago, but was scared off by the idea of having to responsibly dispose of the chemicals involved. Not sure how easy or difficult that might be. If you'd be interested in sharing info on this in another thread, I have a hunch I'm not the only one here who'd enjoy reading about it.

John Miliunas
03-22-2007, 12:40 PM
Way cool, Peter! I love mixed media and I too can thank Mark for that! :) Anyhow, gorgeous wood and I really like the lines of the entire design. Then again, I'm a bit biased as I enjoy contemporary designs. :D Well done. :) :cool:

Mark Singer
03-22-2007, 2:40 PM
Way cool, Peter! I love mixed media and I too can thank Mark for that! :) Anyhow, gorgeous wood and I really like the lines of the entire design. Then again, I'm a bit biased as I enjoy contemporary designs. :D Well done. :) :cool:

I hardly ever comment about anything:rolleyes: But when my name is in the Title....come on I gotta say something....even if I am just making stuff up:confused:

peter slamp
03-22-2007, 6:30 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone for the insight and kind comments. It really means alot to me, coming from so many talented artisans. It seems every finished project motivates so many more. Haha, last night I could hardly sleep because so many designs were running through my head. Man, this 'hobby' really is addictive. Thanks all.

Jim Becker
03-22-2007, 9:43 PM
Peter, beautiful work and design. Excellent!

Stephen Stokes
03-23-2007, 7:21 AM
I love it! The thing I love most is it seems to place the Sapelle on a pedestal. The message it sends to me is the beauty of the wood alone is enough. It does not need anything added or taken away...

Great job!