PDA

View Full Version : My take on a Frank Lloyd Wright designed desk lamp

Wayne Watling
03-21-2007, 10:41 PM
Hi,

This is my first full project using the new Tecnomax combo and I can only say that it does help to have good tools to work with.

I can't say its a copy of his original desk lamp because I didn't have any plans to work from so measurements were gleened from various other sources. Fishing around on the net produced a few pictures and a rudimentary diagram displaying total height of lamp and the width of the base. From the pics, using sketchup I was able to get pretty close to what I think is the original design. Its made from cherry with a light coat of Minwax cherry stain followed by some Old Masters gel stain (mustard color) and its finished with 6 coats of wipe on urethane lightly sanded between coats. The finishing took some time due to the small intricate parts but I'm pretty happy with the result and it matches our cherry table which was the goal. The little boxes that enclose the bulbs can slide back and forth so you can set the amount of light that streams through the sides and hence effect the mood of the surrounding area. The lighting hardware was purchased from an online arts and crafts store in the US and is CSA approved for use here in Canada. Each bulb is 15 watts, totalling 75 watts for the string which is what the cord and switch is rated for. All the hardware is mounted in a routered hollow in the middle of the pole and capped at the rear. The unit has been tested over a 10 hour period and the urethane coated wood only gets a slightly warm because there is good ventilation from above and below and from the sides of each box. I didn't keep any records but I'd estimate it took around 80 hours from disign to finish, the next one should be alot quicker.

Regards,
Wayne

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l227/woodworkingpics/Lamp/viewfromdistance.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l227/woodworkingpics/Lamp/fullangleview1.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l227/woodworkingpics/Lamp/midview.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l227/woodworkingpics/Lamp/topview.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l227/woodworkingpics/Lamp/backview.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l227/woodworkingpics/Lamp/Beforefinish.jpg

Dave Lehnert
03-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Great work. I have always loved FLW style. Someday when I get good at designing things I hope to build a lamp such as yours. I also like FLW barrel chair.

peter slamp
03-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Wow! I love that! Very inspiring. :)

glenn bradley
03-21-2007, 11:23 PM
Now that . . . is extremely cool!

John Schreiber
03-21-2007, 11:26 PM
Brilliant!

So much of Wright's furniture was designed to be looked at rather than used, I was afraid of what I would see. That's not the case here though. It does look like it was designed by someone who knew he wouldn't have to build it himself though. That must have taken a lot of work. I'm sure you are right, that if you set up a production line, it could be done cost effectively.

It's a really beautiful and individual piece. I'd be proud to have one in my home.

John Schreiber
03-21-2007, 11:31 PM
Can you tell us a bit about the construction?

From the pictures it looks like miter joints and glue. What holds the horizontal shades in place? Is there anything to keep the moving shades from sliding all the way off with vibration?

I really like that lamp. Have you thought about posting the plans?

Mark Singer
03-22-2007, 1:10 AM
That is really a great design! I love the consistency and the architectural quality....it feels like a well designed building! This is a rational piece...it is easy to see how the design relates to the function...it makes sence and everything has a reason for being there.Great work too!

Calvin Crutchfield
03-22-2007, 2:45 AM
That is awesome. I have never seen that before. Mind posting a closer of pic of one of the boxes and how it attaches to the base.

I can see a few of these in my future. I hope they turn out like yours.

great Job!

Michael Ballent
03-22-2007, 2:50 AM
That looks great :)

Gary Eneberg
03-22-2007, 7:17 AM
Way cool!

Gary

Carroll Courtney
03-22-2007, 7:39 AM
Fantastic lamp,its funny(or not)how something that size can take more time to build than a entertainment center.its all in the details and it shows in this project.Lookiiiiing GOOD

Jeff Craven
03-22-2007, 7:51 AM
That looks great!!! I was taking pictures of that lamp at FLW's home and studio because I had dreams of recreating it. Any more details about the size & construction would be very appreciated.

Jeffrey Makiel
03-22-2007, 7:56 AM
I seen this lamp in the gift store at Frank Lloyd Wright's 'Fallingwater' house in western PA. I too was inspired.

Nice job!...Jeff :)

Richard Wolf
03-22-2007, 7:57 AM
Beautiful work.

Richard

Rob Wright
03-22-2007, 9:19 AM
Looks great and very close to the pic's I have seen:o. There is a guy here in madison that occaisionally posts the plans for sale on Craig's.

http://madison.craigslist.org/tls/286538513.html

...if anywone is interested. The normal disclaimer - I am not affiliated in anyway with the seller of the item. I just browse Craig's every couple of days ...

Don Bullock
03-22-2007, 9:33 AM
Beautiful craftsmanship. It's amazing how a designer like Frank Lloyd Wright can inspire all of us no matter what architectural style we like. Personally I love his work and now it looks like I may have a project to add to my list (it's growing fast). Thanks for sharing your work with us.

Ron Brese
03-22-2007, 9:53 AM
Isn't it neat how his furniture designs reflect details of his building design. It's easy to see in this lamp. Great job on that lamp, I enjoyed it.

Ron

Hank Knight
03-22-2007, 10:31 AM
Wayne,

I'm a great fan of Wright's and I've been meaning to try my hand at that lamp for years. You beat me to it and did an excellent job. The one of his I've seen is a tall floor lamp. I must say, I like it better as a desk lamp. Great work and a beautiful outcome.

Hank

Mark Valsi
03-22-2007, 11:47 AM
very nice design and execution thereof !!

I like it !!

Nancy Laird
03-22-2007, 11:59 AM
This lamp is just beautiful! Great job!!

Nancy

John Miliunas
03-22-2007, 12:22 PM
Gorgeous and well executed, Wayne! I've been tempted to get the book Rob refers to, as I've seen it on our local Craigslist but, just haven't parted with the $$ yet. Seeing yours, I might just do it after all. :) Great job. :) :cool:

Jack Hogoboom
03-22-2007, 4:13 PM
John,

The heck with the book, I want the lamp!!:cool:

Wayne, how much to build another one???:rolleyes:

J.

John Schreiber
03-22-2007, 4:38 PM
I won't presume to answer for Wayne, but I looked at a bunch of these on line and they go from just under a grand to about three grand - and a lot of them don't look as nice as Wayne's.

Wayne Watling
03-22-2007, 8:38 PM
I see there are other FLW fans out there, great to know. I've read that some think of his work as good to look at but not very functional, my view on that is; absorb and learn what you can from the fellows designs and add your own functionality. His work certainly inspires people so there is something about it that people connect with, for me I just really enjoy looking at his stuff and I dont care if its functional :), some of it is more art I guess.
Really appreciate all the nice comments, I'm glad others see something in his work.

Wayne

Can you tell us a bit about the construction?
From the pictures it looks like miter joints and glue. What holds the horizontal shades in place? Is there anything to keep the moving shades from sliding all the way off with vibration?

The box corners are mitered with a biscuit and glued, once the right jig was born it was easy. There is a small lip near the bottom of the jig which serves as a register for the corner of each side to sit on while the slot is cut. A few clamps at various places on the sliding table served as stops to prevent the bit cutting through the ends.
The boxes are held in place on the pole by the pressure of their sides against the supports and they ride within the grooves of the side supports. It was a little tricky to get the final width of the supports to a thickness that allowed a controlled slide because you also had to allow for the urethane finish. The lamp can be shaken at an angle and they wont move but they will slide with a little pressure.
The shades are notch into the pole which has cuts on 3 sides to accept the thinkness of the shade.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l227/woodworkingpics/Lamp/cutslotforsplines.jpg

That is awesome. I have never seen that before. Mind posting a closer of pic of one of the boxes and how it attaches to the base.
I can see a few of these in my future. I hope they turn out like yours.
great Job!

Hi Calvin,

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Below you can see a view of the side support, thats a single piece glued to the pole.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l227/woodworkingpics/Lamp/slidingcloseup.jpg

Fantastic lamp,its funny(or not)how something that size can take more time to build than a entertainment center.its all in the details and it shows in this project.Lookiiiiing GOOD

Thanks Carroll, part of the reason it took so long is that I'm still learning every step of the way. Just after beginning the project I received some new equipment and I used this project to learn how to use that equipment. Some of that time was research into the lamp and sourcing the right hardware. The next one should take half that time.

Wayne,
I'm a great fan of Wright's and I've been meaning to try my hand at that lamp for years. You beat me to it and did an excellent job. The one of his I've seen is a tall floor lamp. I must say, I like it better as a desk lamp. Great work and a beautiful outcome.
Hank

Thanks Hank, I'm of the same view regarding the desk lamp, the floor lamp is not only taller it has a slightly different design where the light is focused up toward the ceiling rather than downwards.

John,
The heck with the book, I want the lamp!!:cool:
J.

LOL :) I love my hobby too much to spoil it :)

Jim Becker
03-22-2007, 9:49 PM
WoW! That's really kewel, Wayne! Outstanding work...

Larry Fox
03-22-2007, 10:16 PM
Wayne - that is really, really REALLY cool!!!! Outstanding execution.

Bill Neely
03-23-2007, 1:24 AM
That is truly beautiful work. I'm going to show it to my father in law who is celebrating his 96th birthday tomorrow. He apprenticed with Mr. Wright from 1933-1948. :)

Peter Stahl
03-23-2007, 7:20 AM
Not my style but cool looking and very well done.

Wayne Watling
03-23-2007, 8:28 AM
That is truly beautiful work. I'm going to show it to my father in law who is celebrating his 96th birthday tomorrow. He apprenticed with Mr. Wright from 1933-1948. :)

Congratulations to your FIL, 96 is quite a milestone. I'm sure he has some interesting stories to tell about his time with FLW.