PDA

View Full Version : What miter gauge should I get

Karl Stewart
03-21-2007, 10:22 PM
The reward for good work is more work they say. So I made a couple of nice picture frames recently, and the orders have poured in [probably due to my bragging on frugality] from family and friends.
The router table allows for some great custom cuts and unique profiles. The tenon jig makes for some easy splines. Angles weren't great but I could tweak them on the sander. Good clamping and more sanding....

For all the 45 angles coming up though I think a good miter gauge would help. I've looked at a few from Incra http://www.amazon.com/Incra-MITER3000-27-Table-Miter/dp/B000051WSF/ref=sr_1_103/105-6102249-3354053?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1174526649&sr=1-103

but don't know if this is what's best for picture frames.

Pictures to come when poly dries. Thanx in advance. As always I've learned much from the members here. LOML reminds me of all the maps/ prints I have to make frames for too. Any amateur cartographers out there?

Karl

scott spencer
03-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Howdy Karl - There are alot of Incra fans out there, especially of the V27 @ $60 and the 1000SE @ ~ $125. In that price range I'd be looking at the Jessem, the Woodhaven Deluxe, and even the Jointech Smart Miter system, which is actually another $100 or so but offers a really slick system. You might check into the Incra Miter Express too.

glenn bradley
03-21-2007, 11:32 PM
There was a good poll taken right here at the Creek:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32674&highlight=miter

Barry Anderson
03-21-2007, 11:37 PM
The Incra is a very nice device ... but you owe it to yourself to look at the JessEm MiteRExcel. Built like a tank and super accurate!!

Barry in WV

Calvin Crutchfield
03-22-2007, 3:10 AM
For frames, David Marks says a miter sled is best. As long as it is built right and you cut from opposing sides, that is, cut one corner from the right side of the blade and cut the piece that mates to it from the left side of the blade you are assured 90 deg.

When using a std miter gauge chances are it will be a bit off as soon as you adjust it to cut the other side or move it to the other side of the blade etc...

Good luck what ever you choose. I have included a link to David Marks' miter sled. It is pretty slick.

http://www.djmarks.com/photo.asp?image=/photos/woodworks/mitersled.jpg

If frames are going to be your thing, it is worth looking into.

Randy Acton
03-22-2007, 5:18 AM
I have an Incra (can't remember model), which needed tuning to get a perfect 45. But my best cuts come from my chop saw. It is set dead nuts and I can't get a better cut for smaller pieces.

No matter what I use, I find I get a more precise angle if I take an RCH off on a clean up cut.

If your final cut is less than the T of the blade, the blade tends to wander less (because it is not cutting material on both side) and give a much cleaner cut.

jim gossage
03-22-2007, 6:21 AM
i have an incra and agree with the poll results (50% incra). it locks dead on accurate with its ratchet teeth and gives reproducible angles. i have not used the jessem, but have heard that it uses pins that have a little slop in them, and therefore angles may not be reproducible.

Carroll Courtney
03-22-2007, 7:43 AM
No coment till Pics are posted:D Just kidding,I have the kreg,its nice does what I want it to do.Nothing fancy,but I have look at the Jess and I think I would purchase it if I had it to do over.

David Tiell
03-22-2007, 9:31 AM
I have the Woodhaven Deluxe, and it was dead on accurate at all angles right out of the box. Plus they have a lot of neat accessories for it. Of course, I'm sure they all have neat accessories, but I like the ones from Woodhaven.

Don Bullock
03-22-2007, 9:43 AM
I've been looking closely at them. The Incra looks great and so does the Osborse EB - 3. I'm a little concerned, however, that the metal fence in these might accidently come in contact with a SawStop blade and trigger the brake. For now, I'm waiting to order a SawStop and will use the miter gauge that comes with it. I understand it's a good one. For most of my Miter work I plan to use a SCMS anyway.

Fred Voorhees
03-22-2007, 9:59 AM
Karl, I have the Incra 2000 and while I needed to "shim" the fence to nudge it into perfect "plumbness" I am more than happy with it. It has served me well for years now and I would buy it again if needed, though I don't see that happening for quite a while.

Karl Stewart
03-22-2007, 12:55 PM
http://www.djmarks.com/photo.asp?image=/photos/woodworks/mitersled.jpg

If frames are going to be your thing, it is worth looking into.[/quote]

Thanx Calvin
Frames it appears will be my thing for now, so a sled makes the most sense for my particular need. As always creekers come through.

Karl