PDA

View Full Version : PM2000 Noise

Jim Summers
03-21-2007, 9:32 PM
Well the beast finally arrived. Cuttin' butter, errr, wood! It is amazing the different experience between my old saw and the pm2000.

I do have one unusual noise. When I start the saw it spins up perfectly, no bad vibes. I make a cut and turn the saw off and it spins down noise free, but then when it is about to stop there is a brief clink noise. The best I can describe it is it sounds like the blade dings something. A close inspection of the blade area reveals nothing. But then I opened the side cover and started, let it spin to full speed, turn it off no bad noises, then when it is about to stop, "clink" and then it finishes spinning down and all is well. Listening for it from the side cover isolates to the motor area. Is this a "new" normal noise?

Again it is not a constant and it happens at the same place during spin down and just that one "clink", no noticeable change in the spinning to suggest it is hitting/binding.

Ideas / suggestions?

TIA

David Wambolt
03-21-2007, 9:40 PM
It's the centrifugal switch in the motor if I'm not mistaken. The click/clink is normal. My 5hp Sawstop does the same thing, along with most of the other equipment I have that has induction single phase motors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_switch

Jim Summers
03-21-2007, 10:15 PM
I bet that is it. I think I will be able to sleep tonight.

Thanks again

Eugene A. Manzo III
03-21-2007, 11:50 PM
Most motors with start capacitors and windings do indeed have centrifical
switch that operates a set of points to change the motor from start to run
and coming down from run to start. Spring tension closes them up on shut down.

Tim Wagner
03-22-2007, 7:12 AM
Wow that did not take you long to get the saw and get it set up did it. I'd better get my part today so I can get mine going. :D

Jim Summers
03-22-2007, 9:41 AM
Man Tim you gotta get yours going. Not sure what your previous tablesaw is/was, but man the difference in my case was night and day.

I had been working through a local industrial supply company for many weeks, you know asking questions, made a couple of visits when they had a saw there etc... They had gotten one in about a week and half ago and it was still there when I finally got the last wall of my shop area up and electrical working. They had already uncrated it and they delivered it here. I have modded my garage to have a defined "shop" area, so they were able to back right up, use a lift gate and set her down.

Just doing the test cuts last night and checked with stuff like combo, framing squares it seems to be pretty much aligned. I have a dial indicator on order that should be here when I get in from work. I'll start the zeroing in and post on that when I have something.

What all can be done with the mitre gauge? With the T-slots it seems it can be transformed into all kind of useful setups.

Take it easy

Tim Wagner
03-22-2007, 5:01 PM
well just called to find out they sat on this part until today (ordered monday) and just shipped it out ground. I was like WHAT? I want one here saturday even if I have to pay. they aggreed to ship me another part overnight for saturday delivery, at just the cost of ground. Now i am happy again. I'll have my part this week and get an extra next week.

edit:

Not sure what your previous tablesaw is/was, but man the difference in my case was night and day.
ya that would be the 99 doller skill saw with a 14X25" cast aluminum top, cheap miter gauge, and a 14" flexable fence.:p

Jim Summers
03-22-2007, 6:00 PM
Sounds like wmc is decent with their customer service.

Not to far off from my previous config. You'll be amazed.

Take it easy