PDA

View Full Version : The Mac Experience

Chris Barton
03-21-2007, 9:18 PM
Some of you may have read my previous post regarding my difficulties with my PC and my decission after 21+ years of using PCs exclusively to buy a Mac. Last Sunday I bought a MacBook and my computing life has changed forever.

The best way I can describe it is by using a woodworking analogy. Using a mac for the first time is like using a Festool saw or any other really high end precission instrument for the first time after many years of making do by using cheap compromise equipment. There are so many things I took for granted about computers that simply don't have to be that way. I was used to the constant need for a suite of security software, and that's no longer necessary. I've been used to having to click on the "permission" windows when on line or running programs but, now that's a thing of the past. I was figured I would always be having to work through software conflicts, installing drivers, trouble shooting, etc and that's all changed. Now, I simply do my work and have fun. I waited far too long to make a change.

I still use my PCs and I have a laptop PC that I have to use because of my employer (mandated) but, now that I've experienced a Mac I wouldn't never buy another PC. As my PCs age and obsolese they will be replaced with Apple products. I was worried that learning a "new operating system" at age 50 would be a little rough espically since I have been a PC man for so long but, nothing could have been further from the truth. I have had this Mac for less than a week and have made several PowerPoint presentations, Word documents, edited XL spreadsheets, used the built in camera, surfed the web, customized my desktop and explored all of the included software. All of this was absolutely painless.

Thanks again to all of you who encouraged me to make the switch! Few of my decissions over the past 20 years have been this rewarding.

Tim Morton
03-22-2007, 7:03 AM
you are welcome....and did you know Leopard is coming out soon? You might qualify for a discount.:cool:

John Shuk
03-22-2007, 6:11 PM
These guys helped push me over the edge to switch and the Festool analogy is a good one.

Mike Cutler
03-22-2007, 9:41 PM
Congrats on the new Mac Chris. They are quite a bit more user friendly for the person that doesn't want to be a comp tech to have a working computer in the house.
Don't give up on the PC's completely, and remember a KVM+USB and Firewire switch gives you both worlds on the same monitor and peripherals.

Remember "Apple/shift/?" and help is right there.;), :D

Jim Becker
03-22-2007, 9:52 PM
These guys helped push me over the edge to switch and the Festool analogy is a good one.

I don't need a push...but I do need to save my pennies since I'd probably be drawn to the, umm...more expensive...models. LOL! What can I say? It's a sickness, I guess. :o

In the mean time, I've upgraded my video card and memory on the ol' Dell...

Rich Konopka
03-25-2007, 4:54 PM
Congrats Chris,

I has been following your thread and I too am considering a MAC for our next computer. I am so sick of the MSFT experience. Everything I have been reading about Vista has been NOT good.

From the research and evaluation of the MAC looks great. They also have a new version called "Leopard" coming out soon.

Chris Barton
03-25-2007, 5:34 PM
Hi Rich,

I've had my new mac a whole week now and it's been a life changing experience. Enough so that I'm about to replace my main family computer with a new mac desktop unit. I had figured that I would wait until my current PC was as close to obsolete as possible but, the mac experience has suddenly made my PC seem obsolete right now. And, perception is reality...

Mark Rios
03-26-2007, 11:45 AM
Congrats on the revalation Chris. I'm always amazed at the folks who will staunchly and dogmatically discount the Apple products and Operating System. But...there are some smart and discerning folks out there, such as yourself, that are willing to admit that there may just be another (better?) alternative to the Big Blue Meanie. :D :D :D And then, when they take the plunge and see what they've been missing, we Mac folks just sit and smile at your wise choices and pleased wonderment.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D

Tony Sade
03-26-2007, 12:21 PM
Glad you're happy, Chris. As I indicated in a response to your earlier post, I made the switch about a year ago and regret not doing it sooner. After I bought my Intel iMac, I picked up a used laptop for road trips and bedroom and shop surfing (from Mark Rios, no less!) bought another iMac to send with my kid to college, and now I'm considering giving my iMac to my youngest (he needs a computer to go with the computer desk I'm building him) so I can get a 20" iMac (after Leopard is released and Apple starts running its back to school specials, probably). I'm sold. Life is so much simpler without Bill Gates in it.

Roger Fitzsimonds
03-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Congratulations Chris,
I dumped the pc for the main family computer this year also. I got the 20 inch Imac. it was a testament to the the ease of us whenmy wife sat donw and just started using it. I was constantly trying to convine her not to throw the PC out the door fo running slow and jusk from th internet . All in the past.

Have fun
Roger

Sandy Masquith
03-26-2007, 1:44 PM
Congrats on your Mac purchase!! As one that builds custom PC's for a living, I can't build a Mac. The parts are proprietary and only Apple makes them. That's both good and bad. The bad part it Apple controls the pricing. The good part is they're all high quality parts.

As one that repairs PC's for a living...Mac's would KILL me!! There's not enough that goes wrong w/them to justify the business. Hence why I got my Mom a Mac! :D I use one, as well as my PC. I prefer the Mac for a number of things. First off, it's a TRUE Unix system that works! Unlike Linux that just can't do the user experience, the Mac makes a terrific desktop for the new computer user. It's easy to use, uncomplicated, and very functional. Somehow M$ missed that point...

As has been mentioned, Vista is looking like a real cluster! I am telling my customers to stay away from it. While M$ might not like that, I have to do what's in my customer's best interest. Vista has no real advantages for business or home users, and instead is full of pitfalls that could end up causing real problems for people that store media like music on their computers. I can't advise a customer to purchase something that may end up leaving their music or videos unuseable.

Maybe I should just switch careers and get into the carpentry and cabinetry world. There's so much less drama and contention there.... ;)

Larry James
03-27-2007, 10:48 AM
I retired in 2001. At work I used a PC and had to have a PC at home for "homework." Shortly after retirement I gave my PC to my son and bought an eMAC.

I'm still using that eMAC, there is no way I can express to PC users what a difference a Mac makes! I swear it fixes it'self, no kidding. I have never had a virus or other "self inflicted type MS wound" that PC users experience on a regular basis.

I use Tech Tool Pro 4 to clean things up occasionally - kinda like changing oil in your car. If you buy a Mac, DON'T buy the Mac version of Norton Utilities.

I love my Mac!

Larry