PDA

View Full Version : Now my table saw is safer

Jerry Todd
12-19-2003, 6:06 PM
After all the posts on kick back accidents I ordered a Biesemeyer Anti-Kickback Snap-In Spreader. UPS delivered it today and it took only a few minutes in install. Directions were great. The best feature is that it only takes seconds to remove without any tools. Thanks for all the advce.
Jerry

Mike Leonard
12-19-2003, 6:18 PM
Looks good Jerry. I need to get a good spreader. I have been shopping around for an overarm blade guard as well. Where did you pick yours up?

Jerry Todd
12-19-2003, 6:42 PM
Looks good Jerry. I need to get a good spreader. I have been shopping around for an overarm blade guard as well. Where did you pick yours up?
Hey Mike,
I ordered mine from "International Tool Corp" in Davie Florida, 800-338-3384. Found the exact model I needed from the Biesemeyer web site. My saw is a Jet JTAS-10 Left tilting Arbor saw. Easy installation.
Jerry

Chris Padilla
12-19-2003, 6:47 PM
Jerry,

I was thinking about trying out the "Board Buddies" instead of what you got. True, they don't act as a spreader. I wonder if the pawls mark the wood at all.

Chris

Dick Parr
12-19-2003, 7:13 PM
Jerry,

I love mine. I feel a lot better when it's on. :D

Chris,

I have yet to find any marks left by the pawls on any of the wood I have run through the saw.

Mike Leonard
12-19-2003, 10:28 PM
Thanks Jerry. I have the same saw.

Waymon Campbell
12-19-2003, 10:37 PM
Jerry - I just installed the same splitter to my Grizzly 1023SL. Wow - what a difference from the stock splitter. Takes just a secoond to remove or put back on. I just received my PSI TSGuard Overarm Guard w/dust collection and am planning on putting it up this weekend.

Waymon...

Mark Singer
12-20-2003, 1:19 AM
Jerry,
Where did you buy that and how much was it.? It looks great!
Mark

Jerry Todd
12-20-2003, 9:18 AM
Jerry,
Where did you buy that and how much was it.? It looks great!
Mark
Mark, I paid $130.00 (includes shipping) from International Tools Corp, 800-338-3384.

Lloyd Robins
12-20-2003, 10:08 AM
I really like mine. I think that I got mine at www.mikestools.com. As a further note, a friend just got her hand caught in a table saw accident. She didn't lose the hand and the pins and stitches are now out, but several months of therapy lay ahead. Some use of the hand might be lost. We all need to work safely and use proper safety equipment. A Merry Christmas and a safe one.

Mark Singer
12-20-2003, 10:52 AM
I really like mine. I think that I got mine at www.mikestools.com. As a further note, a friend just got her hand caught in a table saw accident. She didn't lose the hand and the pins and stitches are now out, but several months of therapy lay ahead. Some use of the hand might be lost. We all need to work safely and use proper safety equipment. A Merry Christmas and a safe one.

Lloyd,
I have been using Board Buddies for years and on the table saw they are great . They add a lot of safety and greatly improve accuracy by keeping the work pressed against the table... Not expensive either I think Grizzly and International, Amazon carry them The yellow ones are for the table saw.
Mark

Mike Evertsen
12-20-2003, 3:35 PM
I just ordered the buddies from grizzly 29.95 on sale

Jason Roehl
12-20-2003, 4:55 PM
As someone else pointed out to me (but didn't want to post), you should probably clean the pitch off that blade--it would help make it less "grabby"! Simple Green works well for that. Otherwise, cool splitter!

Mark Singer
12-20-2003, 7:22 PM

I think you will really like them. Most of the time I use only one positioned behind the blade so I can push pieces through. You should get a short track (order seperatly )so you can move them back and forth....otherwise there is no flexibility . I think that add $10. I will try to take a photo of my set-up.
Mark

Mark Singer
12-20-2003, 8:05 PM
After all the posts on kick back accidents I ordered a Biesemeyer Anti-Kickback Snap-In Spreader. UPS delivered it today and it took only a few minutes in install. Directions were great. The best feature is that it only takes seconds to remove without any tools. Thanks for all the advce.
Jerry

Jerry ,
Here are some photos of my board buddy set-up. Use only one when your using a push stick. Use 2 for dados, rabbets etc. Note the track.
Hope that helps,
Mark

Mark Singer
12-20-2003, 8:18 PM

Mike here is my set-up:

Here are some photos of my board buddy set-up. Use only one when your using a push stick. Use 2 for dados, rabbets etc. Note the track.
Hope that helps,
Mark

Lynn Kasdorf
12-21-2003, 8:32 AM
I'd like to install a good splitter on my old Powermatic #70, but i suspect this is not a model that is supported. I've been thinking of machining one. I've never understood why American saws don't use a riving knife splitter that is close to the back of the blade and tracks it up and down. The mount for the splitter on my saw tilts but doesn't go up and down.

Regarding board buddies, I like mine for certain cuts, especially when the blade is tilted. It is very easy for the work to ride up and the rollers keep the work down.

I think it is important to work out a way to easily attach/remove the board buddy track from the fence. I have a Vega fence which has slots milled in the inside edge of the rails. I mounted my buddy track to some hardboard that slides in these slots on the fence, so it is easy to install or remove.

When using a roller in front of and in back of the blade, it can be tricky to push the work through, but they are a useful tool.

Mark Singer
12-21-2003, 8:53 AM
I'd like to install a good splitter on my old Powermatic #70, but i suspect this is not a model that is supported. I've been thinking of machining one. I've never understood why American saws don't use a riving knife splitter that is close to the back of the blade and tracks it up and down. The mount for the splitter on my saw tilts but doesn't go up and down.

Regarding board buddies, I like mine for certain cuts, especially when the blade is tilted. It is very easy for the work to ride up and the rollers keep the work down.

I think it is important to work out a way to easily attach/remove the board buddy track from the fence. I have a Vega fence which has slots milled in the inside edge of the rails. I mounted my buddy track to some hardboard that slides in these slots on the fence, so it is easy to install or remove.

When using a roller in front of and in back of the blade, it can be tricky to push the work through, but they are a useful tool.

Lynn,
I only use the back roller for typical cuts and 2 buddies for dadoes , rabbits ...to keep the work on the table. With only the back one in place it is easy to push thru.
Mark

Steve Roxberg
12-21-2003, 1:53 PM
I highly recommend to everyone to get a good splitter. Once I added mine, I bought the Delta $30 one. I feel much safer.

The Delta is not as easy to get in and out instead of a spring loaded pin. It has a thumbscrew, but still goes in and out in less than two minutes.

Buy one, don't have an accident.