PDA

View Full Version : Fire Extinguisher

Pete Jordan
03-21-2007, 5:46 PM
I want to get a fire extinguisher for the shop. Can you recommend a brand or size or place to buy?

CPeter James
03-21-2007, 5:55 PM
If your shop does not freeze, I like the 2 1/2 gallon pressurized water with a little dish detergent added to the water. It is good on wood, paper, etc. The soap makes the water wetter and soak in to douse burning sawdust. I also have a 10 pound tri class dry chemical in the shop and in several locations in the house and vehicles. The 10 pound is big enough to do some good.

CPeter

George Morris
03-21-2007, 7:13 PM
In my opinion a good recharable 20 lb ABC dry powder extinguisher is good for all around use. The most important issue is first good safty pratices, good insurance, know how and when to use it , mount it by exit ,but most importantly know when to get out and stay out, no piece of property is worth your life!! George

George Tokarev
03-21-2007, 7:15 PM
I'd go for a big "A" extinguisher and a smaller B/C. During stove season my 4 gallon sprayer from the garden stays close by ready for a pump and spray, while the five-pounder hangs on the wall all the time around the electrical box.

Jim Becker
03-21-2007, 8:31 PM
I have a couple ABC units in the shop...which reminds me...they need replaced. (They do have a shelf-life...like your smoke detectors, check the condition of your extinguishers each time the time changes)

Kaptan J.W. Meek
03-21-2007, 10:07 PM
I've been a proffessional fire fighter for 25 years, and I like the first post from Cpeter James.. I have a 2 1/2 gallon pressurized water extinguisher, in my garage.. I know it will work, It doesn't have a shelf life. It's great on wood, paper and can keep a flamable liquid fire from spreading to those products. Gasoline in the garage is a bad thing, but most times fires from lawnmowers, weedwackers are small enough to burn themselves out if you can keep the fire from reaching anything else to burn. If you mix a little dish soap in the water, you can actually flow a blanket of foam over a burning puddle of gas or paint. Sawdust, wood shavings can be ignited from a grinder, and water is the only way to go on them. Finishes, like lacquer and paints burn so quick, they can actually burn themselves out before they heat up enough other stuff to continue the fire.. Paper and wood shavings, however spread fire quickly.. Put some water, with a little dish soap in it and your good to go. It's no good on electrical fires but you can't really fight them anyway.. just shut the power off.

Nick Tuzzolino
03-21-2007, 11:56 PM
Ditto to Kaptan J.W. Meek said. We both had the same job. In addition, if you have a garden hose in close proximity, with a good nozzle, you will have an endless supply of water for a Class "A" fire.

Boyd Gathwright
03-22-2007, 12:24 AM
.... Here Pete, this thread may give you some suggestions or ideas as well :).

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27746

Good luck on your choices

I want to get a fire extinguisher for the shop. Can you recommend a brand or size or place to buy?

Mark Pruitt
03-22-2007, 8:24 AM
I just keep the throw-away extinguishers that the borg sells, wall mounted in strategic locations. As has been pointed out, they have a shelf life but the gauge makes it easy to know when to replace.